Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver 0.72 crashes nightly on ReadyNas Ultra+
02-06-2014, 06:02
RE: Minimserver 0.72 crashes nightly on ReadyNas Ultra+
(06-02-2014 17:06)rweten Wrote:  I'll see what I can find. I didn't think I was running any daily back-ups, though.

Thanks for the insights; I'll see if this produces a fix.

R

New user her. I registered just to say: I got exactly the same problem. Fairly clean readynas ultra 4. No backup tasks. I think the only other plugin installed is logitech lms. Ill try to install manually instead.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2014, 09:47
(02-06-2014 06:02)Soli Wrote:  New user her. I registered just to say: I got exactly the same problem. Fairly clean readynas ultra 4. No backup tasks. I think the only other plugin installed is logitech lms. Ill try to install manually instead.

I suspect this may be related to the problem described in this thread. In this case, the logtruncate script contains some lines that are killing the MLDonkey process.

Do you have SSH access to the NAS enabled?
02-06-2014, 16:47
(02-06-2014 09:47)simoncn Wrote:  
(02-06-2014 06:02)Soli Wrote:  New user her. I registered just to say: I got exactly the same problem. Fairly clean readynas ultra 4. No backup tasks. I think the only other plugin installed is logitech lms. Ill try to install manually instead.

I suspect this may be related to the problem described in this thread. In this case, the logtruncate script contains some lines that are killing the MLDonkey process.

Do you have SSH access to the NAS enabled?

Yes i do. I have removed the 2 offending lines. Lets see how it goes...Smile would a manual install bypass this quirk/bug?
02-06-2014, 17:33
(02-06-2014 16:47)Soli Wrote:  Yes i do. I have removed the 2 offending lines. Lets see how it goes...Smile would a manual install bypass this quirk/bug?

I don't know of one. Let's see if this change solves the problem. Thanks!
03-06-2014, 09:08
It seems to have solved it, it didn't crash at approx 6.25-6.31 am. I'll let it run for a few days more and then we will be sure.
But for normal end users, installing minimserver is quite difficult. I cant imagine them using SSH and edit that file. Also in the worst case the logs could fill up the OS partition (i think it's only 4GB).

I guess for the last case, it would take a while though:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0 4.0G 637M 3.2G 17% /
03-06-2014, 09:55
(03-06-2014 09:08)Soli Wrote:  It seems to have solved it, it didn't crash at approx 6.25-6.31 am. I'll let it run for a few days more and then we will be sure.
But for normal end users, installing minimserver is quite difficult. I cant imagine them using SSH and edit that file. Also in the worst case the logs could fill up the OS partition (i think it's only 4GB).

I guess for the last case, it would take a while though:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0 4.0G 637M 3.2G 17% /

Thanks, this is a positive development.

If this is the cause of the problem, it's a bug that needs to be fixed by NETGEAR. It's not something that the MinimServer installer should attempt to modify.

What level of RAIDiator are you running on the NAS?
03-06-2014, 10:46
Im using 4.2.24 Although I'm gonna update to 4.2.26 now since I just checked for an update Smile
03-06-2014, 11:40 (This post was last modified: 03-06-2014 11:43 by Soli.)
one of the fixes in Firmware 4.2.25 was: Updated Frontview to fix various user reported issues and security concerns.

Installing new firmware reenabled those 2 lines in the logtruncate script. I've set the loglevel in minimserver to debug. I tried to manually run the logtruncate script and minim didn't crash. Lets see how it goes at 6.25am.
03-06-2014, 11:48 (This post was last modified: 03-06-2014 22:02 by simoncn.)
(03-06-2014 11:40)Soli Wrote:  one of the fixes in Firmware 4.2.25 was: Updated Frontview to fix various user reported issues and security concerns.

Installing new firmware reenabled those 2 lines in the logtruncate script. I've set the loglevel in minimserver to debug. I tried to manually run the logtruncate script and minim didn't crash. Lets see how it goes at 6.25am.

As it doesn't crash when you run logtruncate manually (with the two lines included), there's a good chance that the problem might be solved. I'm looking forward to your status update tomorrow.
04-06-2014, 16:59
It seems that it runs stable now. It's so weird. It must be the first time (in my experience) that a firmware that is supposedly fixing something, does just that!

(03-06-2014 11:48)simoncn Wrote:  
(03-06-2014 11:40)Soli Wrote:  one of the fixes in Firmware 4.2.25 was: Updated Frontview to fix various user reported issues and security concerns.

As it doesn't crash when you run logtruncate manually (with the two lines included), there's a good chance that the problem might be solved. I'm looking forward to your status update tomorrow.