MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Minimserver 0.72 crashes nightly on ReadyNas Ultra+
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hi,

Firstly I'd like to say what a great product you've created. I've used other UPNP servers in the past, but yours is the only one that does everything I want out of the box. No mucking about with xml files or finding obscure settings, it's all right there so thank you!

The only problem I'm having is that the server crashes nightly, after a restart it works fine again, but then every morning without fail I need to restart it.

I have no idea how to trouble shoot it and am hoping someone here can help? Attached is the last crash log dated 28/09, though it has shutdown a couple of times since, this is the only one in my public share on the NAS (ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus).

Even with the crashes, I'll be sticking with minimserver because I think it's that good, but hopefully someone can assist and thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Loks
(02-10-2013 00:28)lokesh0_0 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Firstly I'd like to say what a great product you've created. I've used other UPNP servers in the past, but yours is the only one that does everything I want out of the box. No mucking about with xml files or finding obscure settings, it's all right there so thank you!

Thanks very much!

Quote:The only problem I'm having is that the server crashes nightly, after a restart it works fine again, but then every morning without fail I need to restart it.

I have no idea how to trouble shoot it and am hoping someone here can help? Attached is the last crash log dated 28/09, though it has shutdown a couple of times since, this is the only one in my public share on the NAS (ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus).

Even with the crashes, I'll be sticking with minimserver because I think it's that good, but hopefully someone can assist and thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Loks

I'm not sure that this crash log file matches the problem with overnight crashes. I've looked at the code where this crash occurred, and it seems that this crash would occur while music is playing. Also, the time of the crash log is 17:34:56, which doesn't match a problem that occurred overnight.

What exactly do you see first thing in the morning when MinimServer has crashed? On the ReadyNAS installed add-ons page, is it showing as stopped (grey dot) or running (green dot)? Do you still see it in MinimWatch?

Please try using the MinimWatch log window to set the logging level to Trace last thing in the evening. In the morning, when MinimServer has crashed, please copy the log file (minimserver.log) from the ReadyNAS backup share to your PC or Mac before you restart MinimServer. This log file might provide some clues to what is happening overnight. After restarting MinimServer, you need to set the logging level back to Info for normal use.
Yeah it's greyed out on the ReadyNAS and Minimwatch doesn't detect Minimserver. I have to stop/start service on the ReadyNAS to get it working again.

I've set the log to Trace and will post when I get home tomorrow night or maybe in the morning if I have time.

Thanks for you help so far!
One question, the log I attached is from the backup share I created as per the instructions when installing minimserver.

Is there another location where I should be looking for the logs? Apologies if this is a stupid question, I really don't know much about Linux at all.

Cheers.
(02-10-2013 12:21)lokesh0_0 Wrote: [ -> ]One question, the log I attached is from the backup share I created as per the instructions when installing minimserver.

Is there another location where I should be looking for the logs? Apologies if this is a stupid question, I really don't know much about Linux at all.

Cheers.

The backup share is the right place to look for crash logs as well as the main minimserver.log file.

I'm surprised that you needed to create the backup share. On my ReadyNAS Duo v2, the backup share was already created by the standard firmware installation.

I think the crash log you sent was for a different problem. It seems that something went wrong when you were playing a transcoded FLAC file. If you can identify which FLAC file you were playing when this happened, please let me know.

Some MinimServer crashes don't produce a crash log. It's possible that I might need to send you a test build with extra diagnostics. Let's see what can be discovered from enabling Trace logging, then move on to the next steps.

Does anything happen overnight that would affect the network connections from the NAS, as far as you are aware?

Thanks for your help with debugging this problem.
Hi Simon,

It stopped again last but unfortunately didn't generate a crash log. I've attached the minimserver.log if that helps, it's actually a rar but the site won't let me attach those, so just rename then extension.

As for the share, not sure why it wasn't there but once I created it the install went perfect.

Also there's no task that run nightly that may be causing this. I do scrub my disks and do a consistency check every few weeks but that's about it.

More than happy to install the other version if you think that'll help in narrowing down the cause.

Also last, there is a new release of the ReadyNas firmware, should I try and install that or wait till we've done a bit more trouble shooting.

Cheers,
Loks
(03-10-2013 12:07)lokesh0_0 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon,

It stopped again last but unfortunately didn't generate a crash log. I've attached the minimserver.log if that helps, it's actually a rar but the site won't let me attach those, so just rename then extension.

As for the share, not sure why it wasn't there but once I created it the install went perfect.

Also there's no task that run nightly that may be causing this. I do scrub my disks and do a consistency check every few weeks but that's about it.

More than happy to install the other version if you think that'll help in narrowing down the cause.

Also last, there is a new release of the ReadyNas firmware, should I try and install that or wait till we've done a bit more trouble shooting.

Cheers,
Loks

Thanks for attaching this log. It shows that the MinimServer process was stopped by some external action (e.g., a SIGKILL or SIGINT signal) at 06:25:10. This is not a crash. Did you initiate this yourself? If not, there must be something in your NAS that runs at this time and stops the MinimServer process by sending it a signal.
(03-10-2013 14:07)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2013 12:07)lokesh0_0 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon,

Cheers,
Loks

Thanks for attaching this log. It shows that the MinimServer process was stopped by some external action (e.g., a SIGKILL or SIGINT signal) at 06:25:10. This is not a crash. Did you initiate this yourself? If not, there must be something in your NAS that runs at this time and stops the MinimServer process by sending it a signal.

Thanks for that. Not sure what that could be but will double check my settings and let you know. Cheers
Any news? Is the reason found?
(08-11-2013 13:44)guenter55 Wrote: [ -> ]Any news? Is the reason found?

The problem is apparently caused by something else on the NAS that is killing the MinimServer process. I don't know what that "something else" is.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reference URL's