Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer & HDD Sleep
19-04-2014, 22:41 (This post was last modified: 19-04-2014 22:42 by simoncn.)
RE: MinimServer & HDD Sleep
(19-04-2014 22:23)MikeSpragg Wrote:  Yep, my mistake. It was set to Info. Enclosed is the log if useful.

From this log, it appears the server logging level was originally set to Trace and was updated to Info at the end of the log.

If you have the server logging level set to Info now, you will not get any disk I/O to the minimserver.log file on the server. This should enable disk spin-down to occur. If spin-down doesn't occur, please try disabling the local master browser and UPnP discovery, then reboot the QNAP.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2014, 00:09
(19-04-2014 22:41)simoncn Wrote:  
(19-04-2014 22:23)MikeSpragg Wrote:  Yep, my mistake. It was set to Info. Enclosed is the log if useful.

From this log, it appears the server logging level was originally set to Trace and was updated to Info at the end of the log.

If you have the server logging level set to Info now, you will not get any disk I/O to the minimserver.log file on the server. This should enable disk spin-down to occur. If spin-down doesn't occur, please try disabling the local master browser and UPnP discovery, then reboot the QNAP.

OK, will reboot (stopped to watch Pan's Labyrinth!) but, as of right now - still running green LED.
20-04-2014, 00:14
(20-04-2014 00:09)MikeSpragg Wrote:  
(19-04-2014 22:41)simoncn Wrote:  

OK, will reboot (stopped to watch Pan's Labyrinth!) but, as of right now - still running green LED.

I'm also wondering about something else - the unit has 8 disks - 6 are in RAID5, 7th is spare and 8th is an SSD as cache. Wonder if that has anything to do with it. I don't remember exactly when I fitted that - but definitely could be around same time as I noticed this wasn't sleeping either. Just wonder if there is something there - when MS is off, no caching and when on - some form of caching going on (leading to read/writes etc)? Possibly, but just a theory...
20-04-2014, 09:29
(20-04-2014 00:14)MikeSpragg Wrote:  OK, will reboot (stopped to watch Pan's Labyrinth!) but, as of right now - still running green LED.

What does "running green LED" mean? Is this the normal running state?

Quote:I'm also wondering about something else - the unit has 8 disks - 6 are in RAID5, 7th is spare and 8th is an SSD as cache. Wonder if that has anything to do with it. I don't remember exactly when I fitted that - but definitely could be around same time as I noticed this wasn't sleeping either. Just wonder if there is something there - when MS is off, no caching and when on - some form of caching going on (leading to read/writes etc)? Possibly, but just a theory...

I did notice some entries in the disk I/O log about CACHEDEV2_DATA.log. This is presumably related to the cache. I don't know enough about how QNAP caching works to understand whether this could be the cause. Can you disable the cache as a test to see if this allows spin-down to happen?
20-04-2014, 09:33 (This post was last modified: 20-04-2014 09:42 by MikeSpragg.)
(20-04-2014 09:29)simoncn Wrote:  
(20-04-2014 00:14)MikeSpragg Wrote:  OK, will reboot (stopped to watch Pan's Labyrinth!) but, as of right now - still running green LED.

What does "running green LED" mean? Is this the normal running state?

Quote:I'm also wondering about something else - the unit has 8 disks - 6 are in RAID5, 7th is spare and 8th is an SSD as cache. Wonder if that has anything to do with it. I don't remember exactly when I fitted that - but definitely could be around same time as I noticed this wasn't sleeping either. Just wonder if there is something there - when MS is off, no caching and when on - some form of caching going on (leading to read/writes etc)? Possibly, but just a theory...

I did notice some entries in the disk I/O log about CACHEDEV2_DATA.log. This is presumably related to the cache. I don't know enough about how QNAP caching works to understand whether this could be the cause. Can you disable the cache as a test to see if this allows spin-down to happen?

Well, good news - since the reboot - it's spun down and stayed spun down! So, it could just be an oddity (I had rebooted before) - or, it was the master browser, UPnP or Bonjour setting. I just find that odd - considering when MinimServer is shutdown (and with these setting on, which is default) then it spins down anyway. I'll switch back on Master Browser but other two can stay off anyway.

(running green was the status LED green, yes).

Thanks!
20-04-2014, 12:10
(20-04-2014 09:33)MikeSpragg Wrote:  Well, good news - since the reboot - it's spun down and stayed spun down! So, it could just be an oddity (I had rebooted before) - or, it was the master browser, UPnP or Bonjour setting. I just find that odd - considering when MinimServer is shutdown (and with these setting on, which is default) then it spins down anyway. I'll switch back on Master Browser but other two can stay off anyway.

(running green was the status LED green, yes).

Thanks!

I'm very pleased to hear this. Smile

Why do you need to run the master browser on the QNAP? What happens if it is disabled?
20-04-2014, 13:00
You're right - I don't (it's enabled by default). However, when I re-enabled it this morning, everything has remained good (HDDs spun down and stayed down). So, if I had to guess - I'd say UPnP was the cause (I'll try to test that later !).