Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with multidisc album with disc subtitle
29-04-2017, 21:48
RE: Problem with multidisc album with disc subtitle
I don't think it is a good idea to create an new tag whose sole purpose is to pass information between SongKong and MinimServer.

Going back to your original question about MinimServer being looser in being able to recognise (disc n subtitle), I think this might be possible if 'subtitle' is the exact value of the DISCSUBTITLE tag. As I understand it, this will always be the case with SongKong. This would solve the problem without the need for an extra tag.

It also solves another problem wher a user library has albums that have (disc n) added by SongKong and are recognised correctly by MinimServer. Some time later, the user adds a new album that has (disc n subtitle) and the new album is not recognised correctly.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2017, 08:40
(29-04-2017 21:48)simoncn Wrote:  Going back to your original question about MinimServer being looser in being able to recognise (disc n subtitle), I think this might be possible if 'subtitle' is the exact value of the DISCSUBTITLE tag. As I understand it, this will always be the case with SongKong. This would solve the problem without the need for an extra tag.

It also solves another problem where a user library has albums that have (disc n) added by SongKong and are recognised correctly by MinimServer. Some time later, the user adds a new album that has (disc n subtitle) and the new album is not recognised correctly.
That is indeed the case , thanks that would be good if MinimServer could understand the (disc n subtitle) format.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2017, 22:27
This change is now available in MinimServer update 100.
05-03-2018, 13:10 (This post was last modified: 05-03-2018 13:22 by paultaylor.)
Sorry to come back to this but the issue with adding disc title information to the album title is that it tends to cause problems if also playing music not using MinimServer. So for example if using MinimServer and iTunes then iTunes will not recognise that these separate discs are part of the same album because the album field is different.

The other difficulty is that it is difficult to switch between showing multidisc or not because you have to rewrite the album field.

So generally I think have a DISCSUBTITLE field is the best solution. But because MinimServer is using it even when a disc doesn't have a subtitle I am tempted again to add a new field MINIMSERVER_DISCSUBTITLE to my tagger applications.

Simon, what do you think ?
05-03-2018, 15:12
DISCSUBTITLE is a standard tag and MinimServer is using it for its standard purpose. I don't think it is a good idea for a tagger to write some other tag name such as MINIMSERVER_DISCSUBTITLE that has a nonstandard purpose. This makes things more difficult and confusing for the user.

As I understand it, you want a new tag to control whether or not the album is shown as multiple discs when there are no disc subtitles. I think it would be better to make this a user preference in the MinimServer configuration (for example, a showDiscs property or option) than for tagging programs to start writing a MINIMSERVER_DISCSUBTITLE tag.
05-03-2018, 15:44
(05-03-2018 15:12)simoncn Wrote:  DISCSUBTITLE is a standard tag and MinimServer is using it for its standard purpose.
This where we disagree, when there is no disc subtitle the MinimServer approach is that Disc 1, Disc 2 ectera can be stored in this field. But my view is that this is not a discsubtitle and thereforenot using it for its standard purpose, if it was correct the I would just do the same.

(05-03-2018 15:12)simoncn Wrote:  I don't think it is a good idea for a tagger to write some other tag name such as MINIMSERVER_DISCSUBTITLE that has a nonstandard purpose. This makes things more difficult and confusing for the user.

As I understand it, you want a new tag to control whether or not the album is shown as multiple discs when there are no disc subtitles. I think it would be better to make this a user preference in the MinimServer configuration (for example, a showDiscs property or option) than for tagging programs to start writing a MINIMSERVER_DISCSUBTITLE tag.
My approach was to better support MinimServer in the same way that I write MinimServers GROUP field because there is no standard field that exactly matches the requirement of the MinimServer GROUP field. But your showDiscs property would work even better, so if you are considering doing this that would be a good solution.
05-03-2018, 16:08
(05-03-2018 15:44)paultaylor Wrote:  This where we disagree, when there is no disc subtitle the MinimServer approach is that Disc 1, Disc 2 ectera can be stored in this field. But my view is that this is not a discsubtitle and thereforenot using it for its standard purpose, if it was correct the I would just do the same.

Any user can put anything they want into any field. MinimServer doesn't have any view on whether the value that the user has specified is "correct" for the field. The standard purpose of the DISCSUBTITLE field is to provide a string that is shown in the control point to identify the disc, and MinimServer is using it for this purpose. MinimServer does not infer any special meaning if this field happens to contain "Disc 1" or "Disc 2", etc.

Quote:My approach was to better support MinimServer in the same way that I write MinimServers GROUP field because there is no standard field that exactly matches the requirement of the MinimServer GROUP field. But your showDiscs property would work even better, so if you are considering doing this that would be a good solution.

I think we have a different opinion on the "requirement of the MinimServer GROUP field" (see above). I will start a discussion thread about adding a showDiscs property or option.
05-03-2018, 16:22 (This post was last modified: 05-03-2018 17:56 by paultaylor.)
(05-03-2018 16:08)simoncn Wrote:  Any user can put anything they want into any field. MinimServer doesn't have any view on whether the value that the user has specified is "correct" for the field. The standard purpose of the DISCSUBTITLE field is to provide a string that is shown in the control point to identify the disc, and MinimServer is using it for this purpose. MinimServer does not infer any special meaning if this field happens to contain "Disc 1" or "Disc 2", etc.
From a tagging perspective the point of the DISCSUBTITLE field is to display the disc subtitle, from ID3 spec The 'Set subtitle' frame is intended for the subtitle of the part of a set this track belongs to. Minimserver uses it to provide a string that is shown in the control point to identify the disc but the point Im trying to make is that whilst storing 'Disc 1' aids your requirement that is not a disc subtitle. I would say the difference is in one case the artist has actually given a name to the set of files on a disc, or in the case of a boxset they represent an album, but in the case of Disc 1/Disc 2 there simply is not enough space to physically store all the tracks on one disc. Now if you only want to show multiple discs when the artist has named the set then the existing SongKong usage of the field works well with MinimServer, but if you always want to display the physical discs without adding discno to the subtitle field then it does not.

(05-03-2018 16:08)simoncn Wrote:  I think we have a different opinion on the "requirement of the MinimServer GROUP field" (see above). I will start a discussion thread about adding a showDiscs property or option.
I'm not aware that we do, MinimServer GROUP is similar to a WORK field but the restrictions about having contiguous tracks within a group and not having a GROUP span multiple discs mean its not the same as WORK hence why a separate field is usually needed for the GROUP compared to the field that van be used for browsing by WORK.
05-03-2018, 16:36
You are correct about GROUP. I understand your point about the "requirement" now.