Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A full function linux control point?
09-10-2014, 15:37
RE: A full function linux control point?
Hi,

I've uploaded upmpdcli 0.8.3 and upplay 0.1.3 to the web site. This version should solve the discovery issue, and the worse minimserver tree walk problems. Hopefully, this should be reasonably stable, but the wishlist is still open for longer-term improvements.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2014, 20:36
(09-10-2014 15:37)medoc92 Wrote:  Hi,

I've uploaded upmpdcli 0.8.3 and upplay 0.1.3 to the web site. This version should solve the discovery issue, and the worse minimserver tree walk problems. Hopefully, this should be reasonably stable, but the wishlist is still open for longer-term improvements.
I will test this in a day or 2. I've been waylaid by other changes, requiring mass re-tagging, to improve my usage of minimserver.
11-10-2014, 18:33
I've done some tests. Not that many because I've been tied up with other stuff. However, a few comments, in no particular order:

1. It seems to ignore items at lower levels preceded by >>, when selecting container at a higher level (I believe simoncn has discussed this with you) - Good
2. The layout when it gets down to track level leaves a little to be desired - see screen shot attached. The 1st track is misaligned.
3. A 'play all' (ie all tracks shown), or 'play from this track on' (ie sequentially down the list of tracks shown) option would be really useful when right clicking on tracks
4. When selecting a container that has multiple items at a lower level with the possibility of duplicates, it is very slow. It took 2.5 minutes to find 35 tracks for one work (La Boheme) by one conductor (selecting at this level) for which there are 2 albums below. When selecting another conductor for the same work with only 1 album, it was almost instant. I believe you rather feaared this might be the case.
5. However, I haven't yet caught it returning duplicates Smile
6. A nice-to-have would be to be able to change the track selection listing column widths, and/or even the column contents when tracks are being displayed (this is probably a lot to ask). To be clear, the playlist is fine, it's the selection list to the right I'm referring to.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-10-2014, 08:27
A couple of additional notes on 2 items from my previous post:

3. Regarding the possible option to 'play from here', i guess that should be an additional 3 options, so Play now, next and later, should be replicated with 'Play from here now', 'Play from here next' etc... Does that make sense?

4. I have run the same test on my much faster desktop PC. It was quite a bit quicker, although still slow. Some of the time delay seems to be dependent on the the speed of the Client PC (and possibly the network - my laptop was using a wireless connection). I would attach a trace but at log level 6 it's vast (over 100MB). What log level would give you useful information?
13-10-2014, 20:44
(11-10-2014 18:33)Pastim Wrote:  I've done some tests. Not that many because I've been tied up with other stuff. However, a few comments, in no particular order:

1. It seems to ignore items at lower levels preceded by >>, when selecting container at a higher level (I believe simoncn has discussed this with you) - Good
2. The layout when it gets down to track level leaves a little to be desired - see screen shot attached. The 1st track is misaligned.
This is fixed by the last update (see below).

(11-10-2014 18:33)Pastim Wrote:  3. A 'play all' (ie all tracks shown), or 'play from this track on' (ie sequentially down the list of tracks shown) option would be really useful when right clicking on tracks

Added to the TODO.

(11-10-2014 18:33)Pastim Wrote:  4. When selecting a container that has multiple items at a lower level with the possibility of duplicates, it is very slow. It took 2.5 minutes to find 35 tracks for one work (La Boheme) by one conductor (selecting at this level) for which there are 2 albums below. When selecting another conductor for the same work with only 1 album, it was almost instant. I believe you rather feaared this might be the case.
5. However, I haven't yet caught it returning duplicates Smile
I think that the only possibility to solve the slowness issue is to adopt the suggestion from simoncn and use a search instead of a recursive walk. This is also on the TODO list.

(11-10-2014 18:33)Pastim Wrote:  6. A nice-to-have would be to be able to change the track selection listing column widths, and/or even the column contents when tracks are being displayed (this is probably a lot to ask). To be clear, the playlist is fine, it's the selection list to the right I'm referring to.

I have changed the presentation in the selection list to use a proper HTML table. This does not let you choose the column contents and widths, but it does a much better job at choosing column widths and handling resizes.

Thanks for these results !
13-10-2014, 20:50
(12-10-2014 08:27)Pastim Wrote:  A couple of additional notes on 2 items from my previous post:

3. Regarding the possible option to 'play from here', i guess that should be an additional 3 options, so Play now, next and later, should be replicated with 'Play from here now', 'Play from here next' etc... Does that make sense?

Yes it does, but there are going to be an awful lot of options because, meanwhile, I've also added some to replace the current playlist instead of augmenting it... You are going to need a bigger screen to display the popup Smile

(12-10-2014 08:27)Pastim Wrote:  4. I have run the same test on my much faster desktop PC. It was quite a bit quicker, although still slow. Some of the time delay seems to be dependent on the the speed of the Client PC (and possibly the network - my laptop was using a wireless connection). I would attach a trace but at log level 6 it's vast (over 100MB). What log level would give you useful information?

The log size by itself indicates that we are walking a much larger tree than we should. I need to change this for a search, this probably does not need more investigation.
13-10-2014, 20:59
Also in the news, I have at last separated the library, so that installing upmpdcli is not needed any more to run upplay. And I have created a PPA so that you can now install and update upplay with the usual apt-get command. Details here:

http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upplay/downloads.html
13-10-2014, 21:29
(13-10-2014 20:59)medoc92 Wrote:  Also in the news, I have at last separated the library, so that installing upmpdcli is not needed any more to run upplay. And I have created a PPA so that you can now install and update upplay with the usual apt-get command. Details here:

Yes, I just saw. I may be the first to have made use of both, on xubuntu 14.04. All went well with the installation (I'm using upmpdcli as well).

The layout is much better, but see the attachment. I sometimes still get the whole list shifted somewhat to the right.

I see the new popup items. Whether my suggestion of 'play from here' should apply to all 5 is debateable. A use case is that I might search all tracks with 2 (or more) artists. I get a list of tracks from different albums, or of several tracks from one work, such as an opera, and may well want to play them all. Bubbleupnp has something like this but I don't want to use android for this purpose.

Good progress!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

14-10-2014, 15:50 (This post was last modified: 14-10-2014 15:51 by medoc92.)
(13-10-2014 21:29)Pastim Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 20:59)medoc92 Wrote:  Also in the news, I have at last separated the library, so that installing upmpdcli is not needed any more to run upplay. And I have created a PPA so that you can now install and update upplay with the usual apt-get command. Details here:

Yes, I just saw. I may be the first to have made use of both, on xubuntu 14.04. All went well with the installation (I'm using upmpdcli as well).

The layout is much better, but see the attachment. I sometimes still get the whole list shifted somewhat to the right.

Installing the attached style sheet to /usr/share/upplay/cdbrowser/cdbrowser.css should fix this (I hope...).

(13-10-2014 21:29)Pastim Wrote:  I see the new popup items. Whether my suggestion of 'play from here' should apply to all 5 is debateable. A use case is that I might search all tracks with 2 (or more) artists. I get a list of tracks from different albums, or of several tracks from one work, such as an opera, and may well want to play them all. Bubbleupnp has something like this but I don't want to use android for this purpose.

Good progress!

I'll take a look at the options in Bubble, he had much more time to refine what makes sense (apart from being smart...).

Attached File(s)
.css  cdbrowser.css (Size: 885 bytes / Downloads: 2)
14-10-2014, 16:16
(14-10-2014 15:50)medoc92 Wrote:  Installing the attached style sheet to /usr/share/upplay/cdbrowser/cdbrowser.css should fix this (I hope...).
Fixed! Thanks.