MinimServer Forum

Full Version: A full function linux control point?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
UPnP is driving me nuts again. I have minimserver running really well, and it does all I want from a server, and more. It even has great support from Simon.

Can I control it from a linux laptop (to various renderers) without some form of bug? No I can't.

Kinsky hardly runs at all. XBMC won't even start. Leia is flaky and not gapless. The nearest I have got is foobar2000 running under wine. Apart form the mild irritation of having to run a windows program on linux, the main problem is that it re-sorts the indexes the way it wants to, rather than following what minimserver delivers. Gapless is also a little flaky.

I can use my android smartphone, and bubbleupnp, but the screen is too small so it isn't easy to use with my slightly ageing fingers and eyes. It claims to support gapless play but to be honest I couldn't use the phone as a control point regularly. If I had a fondleslab (sorry, tablet) I probably would use bubbleupnp, but I don't have one (yet).

So does anyone know of a UPnP Control Point that runs on linux (I'm using xubuntu 14.04), doesn't crash too often, supports gapless playback, and does what it is told by servers such as minimserver? There must be one, mustn't there?
(25-05-2014 22:20)Pastim Wrote: [ -> ]UPnP is driving me nuts again. I have minimserver running really well, and it does all I want from a server, and more. It even has great support from Simon.

Can I control it from a linux laptop (to various renderers) without some form of bug? No I can't.

Kinsky hardly runs at all. XBMC won't even start. Leia is flaky and not gapless. The nearest I have got is foobar2000 running under wine. Apart form the mild irritation of having to run a windows program on linux, the main problem is that it re-sorts the indexes the way it wants to, rather than following what minimserver delivers. Gapless is also a little flaky.

I can use my android smartphone, and bubbleupnp, but the screen is too small so it isn't easy to use with my slightly ageing fingers and eyes. It claims to support gapless play but to be honest I couldn't use the phone as a control point regularly. If I had a fondleslab (sorry, tablet) I probably would use bubbleupnp, but I don't have one (yet).

So does anyone know of a UPnP Control Point that runs on linux (I'm using xubuntu 14.04), doesn't crash too often, supports gapless playback, and does what it is told by servers such as minimserver? There must be one, mustn't there?

I don't know of anything that meets the criteria that you have described.

How about installing an Android emulator as described in this article and running BubbleUPnP under this? I don't know whether this would work. You could ask bubbleguuum for advice.
Thanks.

I suspect my old laptop may find an android emulation a bit much to handle, but I'll give it a go. If I can communicate with bubbleguuum I'll also see if the foobar sort order issue can be fixed (I have posted on the foobar forum but I suspect it isn't followed much by developers of older plugins).

I should have mentioned that "gupnp-av-cp", a control point based on GUPnP looked promising in terms of time to start up and servers and renderers shown, until I saw that it was list all items in inverse (descending) order. I may take a look at the source (although my programming days are long gone). I also suspect it won't do gapless.

If I wanted to find a Windows CP, is there any that fits the bill that I could try under wine?
(26-05-2014 08:39)Pastim Wrote: [ -> ]If I wanted to find a Windows CP, is there any that fits the bill that I could try under wine?

Kinsky for Windows.
(26-05-2014 09:56)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-05-2014 08:39)Pastim Wrote: [ -> ]If I wanted to find a Windows CP, is there any that fits the bill that I could try under wine?

Kinsky for Windows.
Thanks. I did try. Sadly no good. It won't run at all on my system under wine. I have an android emulator struggling to start up as I write. It may be too much for my laptop.
(26-05-2014 10:05)Pastim Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. I did try. Sadly no good. It won't run at all on my system under wine. I have an android emulator struggling to start up as I write. It may be too much for my laptop.

BubbleUPnP runs very well on my Nexus 7 tablet. The best solution might be to buy a low-cost 7-inch Android tablet to run BubbleUPnP.
(26-05-2014 10:21)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-05-2014 10:05)Pastim Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. I did try. Sadly no good. It won't run at all on my system under wine. I have an android emulator struggling to start up as I write. It may be too much for my laptop.

BubbleUPnP runs very well on my Nexus 7 tablet. The best solution might be to buy a low-cost 7-inch Android tablet to run BubbleUPnP.
You are almost certainly right, but then I need yet another device in the room. I'm waiting for a workable 10" tablet that will run linux as well as android, so I can use it for more than just as a consumer of data and control point (eg to run libreoffice etc).

I just got xmbc to start up, but it ignores the minimserver sort order, just like foobar2000. I suspect the android emulator won't run - it is doing something, but I've no idea what.

Anyway, thanks for your ever-prompt help :-)
Hi,

You could give a try to upplay: http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upplay

I had the same problem as you, but, being a developper, I did something about it Smile

This is still quite young, and there is only an Ubuntu 14.04 package currently, but I am willing to help if you have trouble building/installing: jf at dockes dot org.

It's quite barebones, but it does fit your requirements: no meddling with the media server presentation, and supports gapless both with SetNextAVTransportURI and OpenHome, depending on the renderer.

Cheers,

jf
(05-10-2014 14:28)medoc92 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I had the same problem as you, but, being a developper, I did something about it Smile

This is still quite young, and there is only an Ubuntu 14.04 package currently, but I am willing to help if you have trouble building/installing: jf at dockes dot org.

It's quite barebones, but it does fit your requirements: no meddling with the media server presentation, and supports gapless both with SetNextAVTransportURI and OpenHome, depending on the renderer.

Cheers,

jf

This sounds very interesting! Smile

I am still on 12.04 and I'm planning to upgrade to 14.04 soon. Can the .deb binary package be installed on 12.04?
(05-10-2014 14:28)medoc92 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Cheers,

jf
Very interesting. I'm on 14.04 (ubuntu and xubuntu). I'll test it and see how it works for my devices. Previously I had to resort to foobar2000 under wine, which is not ideal.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Reference URL's