Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimWatch Desktop icon
30-07-2014, 01:12
RE: MinimWatch Desktop icon
(29-07-2014 23:51)magister Wrote:  Transcoding is in the System tab at the bottom under stream.transcode.

Ok got the others except I don't see the transcode thing, my System tab is at the top and there is no transcoding when I open it, just port, logfile, ohnet, ect.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2014, 02:00
(30-07-2014 01:12)rogerdn Wrote:  Ok got the others except I don't see the transcode thing, my System tab is at the top and there is no transcoding when I open it, just port, logfile, ohnet, ect.
Did you install MinimStreamer? See the main web page, click on MinimSteamer at the left, and there are installation instructions on the page that opens.
30-07-2014, 02:05
(30-07-2014 02:00)magister Wrote:  
(30-07-2014 01:12)rogerdn Wrote:  Ok got the others except I don't see the transcode thing, my System tab is at the top and there is no transcoding when I open it, just port, logfile, ohnet, ect.
Did you install MinimStreamer? See the main web page, click on MinimSteamer at the left, and there are installation instructions on the page that opens.

Never heard of it, will do, thks
30-07-2014, 02:22 (This post was last modified: 30-07-2014 02:23 by magister.)
Simon,

I think that the installation page should perhaps have a third section pointing out the existence of MinimStreamer. For someone like rogerdn, who heard that MinimServer can do all sorts of nifty stuff like transcode on the fly or play DSD and wants to try it, it may not be clear that one needs to install MinimStreamer. Just a sentence like "To take advantage of features such as internet radio and transcoding from one format to another, you need to install the optional MinimStream component in addition to MinimServer."

Rogerdn: FYI, MinimStreamer is a new addition to the MinimServer family. Transcoding used to be part of the standard MinimServer; then Simon created MinimStreamer as a separate component along with adding internet radio. I'm sure there were good programming reasons for this but it does create some uncertainty for new users.
30-07-2014, 02:34
(30-07-2014 02:22)magister Wrote:  Simon,

I think that the installation page should perhaps have a third section pointing out the existence of MinimStreamer. For someone like rogerdn, who heard that MinimServer can do all sorts of nifty stuff like transcode on the fly or play DSD and wants to try it, it may not be clear that one needs to install MinimStreamer. Just a sentence like "To take advantage of features such as internet radio and transcoding from one format to another, you need to install the optional MinimStream component in addition to MinimServer."

Rogerdn: FYI, MinimStreamer is a new addition to the MinimServer family. Transcoding used to be part of the standard MinimServer; then Simon created MinimStreamer as a separate component along with adding internet radio. I'm sure there were good programming reasons for this but it does create some uncertainty for new users.

Yes that is a good suggestion. Ok I got it installed and put dff:dopwav, dsf:dopwav in the field, correct for the DS ?

Thks for your help
30-07-2014, 03:20
(30-07-2014 02:34)rogerdn Wrote:  Ok I got it installed and put dff:dopwav, dsf:dopwav in the field, correct for the DS ?
That's it. Last night I played some well-recorded DSF files through the DirectStream with MinimServer. Just amazing!!!
30-07-2014, 03:35 (This post was last modified: 30-07-2014 03:36 by rogerdn.)
(30-07-2014 03:20)magister Wrote:  
(30-07-2014 02:34)rogerdn Wrote:  Ok I got it installed and put dff:dopwav, dsf:dopwav in the field, correct for the DS ?
That's it. Last night I played some well-recorded DSF files through the DirectStream with MinimServer. Just amazing!!!

Will try that too, right now trying the Naim NDS network player from my dealer, using their mid level external ps, very, very nice but twice the price of DS, last week tried it with the best ps, just stunning it's so good. No DSD though, Naim has not bought into it so far I guess. I may be switching, they have a great iPad app and the thing always connects, is dead stable, zero drops. No computer yea....
30-07-2014, 12:02
(30-07-2014 02:22)magister Wrote:  Simon,

I have added a short paragraph on this page as you suggested. I haven't mentioned internet radio because the support for this is in MinimServer, not MinimStreamer. You can create a MinimServer playlist containing HTTP URLs for internet radio stations, and these stations should play (without transcoding) if MinimStreamer isn't installed.
30-07-2014, 15:17
(30-07-2014 12:02)simoncn Wrote:  I have added a short paragraph on this page as you suggested. I haven't mentioned internet radio because the support for this is in MinimServer, not MinimStreamer.
Thanks, Simon. I think this will be helpful. Sorry for spreading misinformation; I recall (perhaps wrongly) that MinimStreamer came out about the same time as the internet radio feature was enabled and I thought they were connected.
30-07-2014, 15:32
(30-07-2014 03:35)rogerdn Wrote:  Will try that too, right now trying the Naim NDS network player from my dealer, using their mid level external ps, very, very nice but twice the price of DS, last week tried it with the best ps, just stunning it's so good. No DSD though, Naim has not bought into it so far I guess. I may be switching, they have a great iPad app and the thing always connects, is dead stable, zero drops.
That's a tough one. Double the price but stable and with a great control point, but no DSD. I bet you will really like DSD played through the DS (just make sure it's a native DSD recording, not converted from PCM). It's understandable that companies don't instantly jump on every bandwagon that comes along, but I think DSD is here to stay. The SQ is so great and there is a lot more software and hardware coming out now.

I've just about decided to buy a cheap Android tablet so I can try BubbleUPnP control point. On it goes!
Quote:No computer yea....
WinkWink