Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimWatch Desktop icon
29-07-2014, 01:00
MinimWatch Desktop icon
MinimServer seems to be running ok on my Synology, I can play music from it, and the minim icon in my tray opens and works, but the desktop will not. If I right click I get Open but in does not, double clicking does nothing either.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2014, 08:51
RE: MinimWatch Desktop icon
(29-07-2014 01:00)rogerdn Wrote:  MinimServer seems to be running ok on my Synology, I can play music from it, and the minim icon in my tray opens and works, but the desktop will not. If I right click I get Open but in does not, double clicking does nothing either.

Do you mean the MinimWatch icon on your Windows desktop or the MinimServer icon on your Synology DSM desktop?
29-07-2014, 11:31
I mean the MinimWatch icon on the desktop of my win laptop, the PC where it's installed. Not the Synology.
29-07-2014, 19:02
(29-07-2014 11:31)rogerdn Wrote:  I mean the MinimWatch icon on the desktop of my win laptop, the PC where it's installed. Not the Synology.

Clicking this icon should launch MinimWatch, which will show the minim icon in the system tray. If you are already seeing the minim icon in the system tray, MinimWatch is running and is working correctly.
29-07-2014, 21:58 (This post was last modified: 29-07-2014 21:59 by rogerdn.)
(29-07-2014 19:02)simoncn Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 11:31)rogerdn Wrote:  I mean the MinimWatch icon on the desktop of my win laptop, the PC where it's installed. Not the Synology.

Clicking this icon should launch MinimWatch, which will show the minim icon in the system tray. If you are already seeing the minim icon in the system tray, MinimWatch is running and is working correctly.

That's what I thought but I understood there was some initial set up to do, and that file editing could be done using MinimWatch. I don't recall doing any set up and nothing in the minim icon in the bottom tray allows editing. I have read the instructions btw and don't see anything more to do.
29-07-2014, 22:06
(29-07-2014 21:58)rogerdn Wrote:  That's what I thought but I understood there was some initial set up to do, and that file editing could be done using MinimWatch. I don't recall doing any set up and nothing in the minim icon in the bottom tray allows editing. I have read the instructions btw and don't see anything more to do.

MinimWatch doesn't provide any file editing functions and it shouldn't be necessary to do any initial setup. Where did you get this information?
29-07-2014, 22:10
(29-07-2014 22:06)simoncn Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 21:58)rogerdn Wrote:  That's what I thought but I understood there was some initial set up to do, and that file editing could be done using MinimWatch. I don't recall doing any set up and nothing in the minim icon in the bottom tray allows editing. I have read the instructions btw and don't see anything more to do.

MinimWatch doesn't provide any file editing functions and it shouldn't be necessary to do any initial setup. Where did you get this information?

People on the PS Audio and ComputerAudio forums who are using it, all who seemed very knowledgable. Ok thanks, sorry to have gotten bad info.
29-07-2014, 23:06
(29-07-2014 22:10)rogerdn Wrote:  People on the PS Audio and ComputerAudio forums who are using it, all who seemed very knowledgable. Ok thanks, sorry to have gotten bad info.
I might have been one of the people on the PS Audio forum . . . One has to set the directory(-ies) on the NAS where MinimServer will look for music files, along with any other options such as transcoding, tag options, display name, etc. That's what I would refer to as initial setup. Perhaps the point of confusion is that this setup is done within the MinimWatch icon, by right-clicking and then selecting Properties, not from the desktop. (I'm sure I didn't say that Minim does file editing, because I know better.)
29-07-2014, 23:27
(29-07-2014 23:06)magister Wrote:  
(29-07-2014 22:10)rogerdn Wrote:  People on the PS Audio and ComputerAudio forums who are using it, all who seemed very knowledgable. Ok thanks, sorry to have gotten bad info.
I might have been one of the people on the PS Audio forum . . . One has to set the directory(-ies) on the NAS where MinimServer will look for music files, along with any other options such as transcoding, tag options, display name, etc. That's what I would refer to as initial setup. Perhaps the point of confusion is that this setup is done within the MinimWatch icon, by right-clicking and then selecting Properties, not from the desktop. (I'm sure I didn't say that Minim does file editing, because I know better.)

I believe the editing was a CA person. But I must be loosing it, I'm sure I looked at Properties once again just yesterday and it showed the log, but looking now I see what you mean. Yes I did the directory in the DSM screen which is one reason I wondered why MinimWatch was needed. Anyway thanks.

Only remaining question, can you point me to where the transcoding is set ? In my DMS screen ? Don't see it.
29-07-2014, 23:51
(29-07-2014 23:27)rogerdn Wrote:  I must be loosing it, I'm sure I looked at Properties once again just yesterday and it showed the log, but looking now I see what you mean. Yes I did the directory in the DSM screen which is one reason I wondered why MinimWatch was needed. Anyway thanks.

Only remaining question, can you point me to where the transcoding is set ? In my DMS screen ? Don't see it.
The only thing you do in DSM is _create_ the shared folder(s) on the Synology. You still need to go into Properties, via the MinimWatch icon, and add the folder(s) to the contentDir field. It confused me a bit at first because I thought you could only add one folder; but after you fill in the first one, just click on the "+" icon and another blank field will appear.
Transcoding is in the System tab at the bottom under stream.transcode.