Post Reply 
Streamer losing its playlist, and Incorrect items showing in playlist
24-07-2014, 11:09
Post: #21
RE: Streamer losing its playlist, and Incorrect items showing in playlist
[quote='simoncn' pid='10014' dateline='1406193054']

The fresh install package does not include any updates. If you checked the uninstall option to preserve MinimServer configuration settings and data, your previously installed updates will be available in your new installation. I presume this is what you are doing.

[\quote]

Yes, that's right.

I've now tested the GS108 power off suggestion you made. Here's what happened:

- I stopped the switch for maybe a second, no more.
- On power off, the DS continued for a couple of seconds then stopped
- In Kinsky, there was a 30 sec period of head-scratching, but the playlist did not clear. Then the DS started playing the next track in the list.
- There was no evidence of any playlist titling errors
- At the same time, MinimWatch gave the following behaviour - a new yellow icon appeared (alongside the green 'running' icon) saying that MinimServer was starting. After a couple of minutes (consistent with the normal time for a restart/rescan), that icon turned green, leaving me with two MinimServer icons on my PC. I could clear the behaviour by stopping and restarting MinimWatch.

Any help?

R
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2014, 11:34
Post: #22
RE: Streamer losing its playlist, and Incorrect items showing in playlist
(24-07-2014 11:09)rweten Wrote:  I've now tested the GS108 power off suggestion you made. Here's what happened:

- I stopped the switch for maybe a second, no more.
- On power off, the DS continued for a couple of seconds then stopped
- In Kinsky, there was a 30 sec period of head-scratching, but the playlist did not clear. Then the DS started playing the next track in the list.
- There was no evidence of any playlist titling errors
- At the same time, MinimWatch gave the following behaviour - a new yellow icon appeared (alongside the green 'running' icon) saying that MinimServer was starting. After a couple of minutes (consistent with the normal time for a restart/rescan), that icon turned green, leaving me with two MinimServer icons on my PC. I could clear the behaviour by stopping and restarting MinimWatch.

Any help?

R

It's interesting to hear how Kinsky handles this situation.

The MinimServer "yellow icon" effect is very surprising unless the ReadyNAS was also powered off for a second. Is there any chance that this could have happened? A restart of the switch should not cause a restart of MinimServer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2014, 15:00
Post: #23
RE: Streamer losing its playlist, and Incorrect items showing in playlist
(24-07-2014 11:34)simoncn Wrote:  It's interesting to hear how Kinsky handles this situation.

The MinimServer "yellow icon" effect is very surprising unless the ReadyNAS was also powered off for a second. Is there any chance that this could have happened? A restart of the switch should not cause a restart of MinimServer.

No, nothing should have disrupted the NAS. I simply eased the power out of the back of the switch and then replaced it.

Moreover, music came back on from the NAS/DS before the yellow icon changed to green.

The behaviour does repeat, by the way. i.e. I can replicate it.

??? R
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2014, 15:33
Post: #24
RE: Streamer losing its playlist, and Incorrect items showing in playlist
(24-07-2014 15:00)rweten Wrote:  No, nothing should have disrupted the NAS. I simply eased the power out of the back of the switch and then replaced it.

Moreover, music came back on from the NAS/DS before the yellow icon changed to green.

The behaviour does repeat, by the way. i.e. I can replicate it.

??? R

Did you do a Restart, Rescan or Refresh from MinimWatch?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2014, 21:49
Post: #25
RE: Streamer losing its playlist, and Incorrect items showing in playlist
(24-07-2014 15:33)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-07-2014 15:00)rweten Wrote:  No, nothing should have disrupted the NAS. I simply eased the power out of the back of the switch and then replaced it.

Moreover, music came back on from the NAS/DS before the yellow icon changed to green.

The behaviour does repeat, by the way. i.e. I can replicate it.

??? R

Did you do a Restart, Rescan or Refresh from MinimWatch?

No, which was why I reported the behaviour. This all happened with no intervention from me other than powering the switch off and on.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2014, 22:20
Post: #26
RE: Streamer losing its playlist, and Incorrect items showing in playlist
(24-07-2014 21:49)rweten Wrote:  No, which was why I reported the behaviour. This all happened with no intervention from me other than powering the switch off and on.

I've now done the same experiment. Kinsky took just under 2 minutes to recover and continue playing the track. The MinimWatch icon display didn't change and the previous (green) minim icon was still active after the track had restarted.

I can't help wondering if the strange behaviour you are seeing here could be related to the other strange behaviour. Would you mind running an ohNet trace on MinimServer so I can see what is happening? If you are OK with this, I will give you instructions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2014, 22:02
Post: #27
RE: Streamer losing its playlist, and Incorrect items showing in playlist
(24-07-2014 22:20)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-07-2014 21:49)rweten Wrote:  No, which was why I reported the behaviour. This all happened with no intervention from me other than powering the switch off and on.

I've now done the same experiment. Kinsky took just under 2 minutes to recover and continue playing the track. The MinimWatch icon display didn't change and the previous (green) minim icon was still active after the track had restarted.

I can't help wondering if the strange behaviour you are seeing here could be related to the other strange behaviour. Would you mind running an ohNet trace on MinimServer so I can see what is happening? If you are OK with this, I will give you instructions.

More than happy to do so. Let me know the necessary instructions. May be Tuesday before I can do it, though.

R
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2014, 20:54
Post: #28
RE: Streamer losing its playlist, and Incorrect items showing in playlist
(27-07-2014 22:02)rweten Wrote:  More than happy to do so. Let me know the necessary instructions. May be Tuesday before I can do it, though.

R

Thanks very much! I have sent you the instructions via PM.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2014, 10:18
Post: #29
RE: Streamer losing its playlist, and Incorrect items showing in playlist
UPDATE:

I have recently had information from Linn, who have confirmed that the problem behaviour is probably due to a problem in the interaction between the DS player and my network. Nothing to do with MinimServer.

The problem can be caused by a failure of the DS effectively to renew its IP address lease with the router. When this happens, the DS will reboot and request a new IP address (which doesn't cause a problem with the router). This causes the problem with the playlist disappearing.

It is possible to mitigate the problem by extending the lease period for the IP address but that is not possible with all breeds of router. Mine does not allow it.

Linn say that the DHCP problem (which they say is caused by poor DHCP implementation in the router) is 'shockingly common'. Netgear routers (mine is a WNDR4500v2) are known to exhibit this behaviour on a number of models.

Hope this might help others who see the same problem. If I find a fix I will post again; I have been pointed at OEM firmward providers (Tomato and DD-WRT) to see if that can resolve the problem.

Richard
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)