MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Streamer losing its playlist, and Incorrect items showing in playlist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've been seeing some strange behaviour from my system recently. I had thought it was my Klimax DS, and initially posted on Linn's forums (see http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.p...#pid327971 for details).

There seems to be a sequence for the problems:

- The first thing that happens is that the playlist items in Kinsky all disappear, and music stops. As though the Klimax had crashed. However, it doesn't appear to have done so. I can start loading tracks to the playlist again, and the new tracks will play normally. They will appear correctly in the playlist.
- MinimServer then stops too. I don't know if this is linked or not as I still suffer intermittent MinimServer stops anyway, although my overnight problems appear to be getting better with the latest packages under 0.81. The symptom is a greyed out MinimWatch icon. I fix this by going into ReadyNAS Frontview, stopping MinimServer there (and the ReadyNAS will invariably report that MinimServer is still running, by the way) and then restarting MinimServer. The server will then come back up.
- The final stage is that the playlist in Kinsky (on my PC) will get screwed up. I add new tracks from the server library, but they come up in the playlist with the titles from the old playlist in Kinsky (the one that disappeared in the first step above). They play correctly, but with the bizarre behaviour that they have the wrong title and artwork in the playlist, but the correct versions in the top left corner of Kinsky.

I have tried power-cycling the DS but that doesn't fix the problem. I have tried switching between rooms in Kinsky, refreshing the 'Rooms' list, and switching from Playlist to Radio and back. None of this clears the problem.

Meanwhile, if I switch to another control point (iPhone or iPad) the playlist is showing correctly.

On occasion, the problem seems to right itself if I put enough items in the playlist. I have to put enough music in the playlist to complete exhaust the list of names from the 'old' playlist. At this point the correct names for new music appear below all the old ones. If I then play the entire playlist through, the problem resolves.

I am quite unsure as to whether the problem is Kinsky related or something to do with MinimServer/MinimStreamer. The problem with MinimServer randomly stopping itself predates this latest sequence of problems. However the playlist problems have all showed up since I installed MinimStreamer a couple of weeks back, so I wonder if there might be a link there?

Help would be much appreciated.

R

Update: I have also confirmed that a full restart of the PC will resolve the problems with the playlist. However, simply closing the Kinsky application, and restarting it, will not. Does this suggest there is some sort of caching problem in Kinsky/MinimServer/MinimStreamer?
(18-07-2014 08:44)rweten Wrote: [ -> ]Update: I have also confirmed that a full restart of the PC will resolve the problems with the playlist. However, simply closing the Kinsky application, and restarting it, will not. Does this suggest there is some sort of caching problem in Kinsky/MinimServer/MinimStreamer?

It sounds like these problems (with the exception of MinimServer stopping overnight) are caused by network issues and not by MinimServer or MinimStreamer. The overnight stopping problem should be fixed by updating the firmware in your ReadyNAS to the latest version.

When you get the playlist problem, try disconnecting and reconnecting (if wireless) or disabling and enabling your active network adapter on the PC. You should find this clears the problem.

Does the problem occur when you are using a wireless connection on the PC, or a wired connection, or both? Does it occur after you have suspended and resumed the PC?

Diagnosing the cause of the network issue might not be easy. What is your complete network configuration?
(18-07-2014 13:20)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-07-2014 08:44)rweten Wrote: [ -> ]Update: I have also confirmed that a full restart of the PC will resolve the problems with the playlist. However, simply closing the Kinsky application, and restarting it, will not. Does this suggest there is some sort of caching problem in Kinsky/MinimServer/MinimStreamer?

It sounds like these problems (with the exception of MinimServer stopping overnight) are caused by network issues and not by MinimServer or MinimStreamer. The overnight stopping problem should be fixed by updating the firmware in your ReadyNAS to the latest version.

When you get the playlist problem, try disconnecting and reconnecting (if wireless) or disabling and enabling your active network adapter on the PC. You should find this clears the problem.

Does the problem occur when you are using a wireless connection on the PC, or a wired connection, or both? Does it occur after you have suspended and resumed the PC?

Diagnosing the cause of the network issue might not be easy. What is your complete network configuration?

Simon, as ever, many thanks for your reply. Let's cover the points one by one.

The overnight stopping problem is now intermittent and not so much of a problem as it once was. I have updated to the latest firmware for the NAS (5.3.10) but I've had the problem recur since then.

When you say 'when you get the playlist problem, try...' do you mean the problem where the whole playlist wipes, or the one where tracks are shown with metadata from the 'old' playlist? I'm guessing you mean the latter?

Do you have any thoughts on why the playlist can suddenly get wiped?

These problems are occurring on a wired ethernet connection. I haven't tried to see if it happens on wireless. I don't, generally, suspend and resume the PC (I simply lock it when I go away, otherwise it runs 24 hrs).

Network configuration not easy to describe but here goes:

- The router is independent of the switch which controls most of the network elements, as is recommended by Linn
- I have a Netgear GS108 Prosafe Gigabit switch sitting between the Linn Klimax and the ReadyNAS. In turn, that switch is connected to the router
- The PC on which I run Kinsky is connected by another switch (Netgear GS105 Prosafe) to the switch above.
- There is a wireless access point also connected into the GS108, and another ReadyNAS too
- All the devices on the network are on the same subnet (192.168.1.x)
- All the devices on the network are allocated their own specific IP address via address reservation in the router, so they get the same IP all the time

Richard
(18-07-2014 21:04)rweten Wrote: [ -> ]Simon, as ever, many thanks for your reply. Let's cover the points one by one.

The overnight stopping problem is now intermittent and not so much of a problem as it once was. I have updated to the latest firmware for the NAS (5.3.10) but I've had the problem recur since then.

I'm not sure what could cause this. It's probably best to focus on the other problems for now.

Quote:When you say 'when you get the playlist problem, try...' do you mean the problem where the whole playlist wipes, or the one where tracks are shown with metadata from the 'old' playlist? I'm guessing you mean the latter?

Do you have any thoughts on why the playlist can suddenly get wiped?

This can be caused by a network issue. If Kinsky can't retrieve the playlist from the DS, it will appear to be wiped when you view it in Kinsky.

Quote:These problems are occurring on a wired ethernet connection. I haven't tried to see if it happens on wireless. I don't, generally, suspend and resume the PC (I simply lock it when I go away, otherwise it runs 24 hrs).

Network configuration not easy to describe but here goes:

- The router is independent of the switch which controls most of the network elements, as is recommended by Linn
- I have a Netgear GS108 Prosafe Gigabit switch sitting between the Linn Klimax and the ReadyNAS. In turn, that switch is connected to the router
- The PC on which I run Kinsky is connected by another switch (Netgear GS105 Prosafe) to the switch above.
- There is a wireless access point also connected into the GS108, and another ReadyNAS too
- All the devices on the network are on the same subnet (192.168.1.x)
- All the devices on the network are allocated their own specific IP address via address reservation in the router, so they get the same IP all the time

Richard

Thanks for this description. It's very clear but it's lacking one important detail. What make and model of router do you have? Also, does the router include a wireless access point?
(18-07-2014 21:25)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for this description. It's very clear but it's lacking one important detail. What make and model of router do you have? Also, does the router include a wireless access point?

I have a Netgear WNDR4500v2, which is a Wireless-N router. The access point is enabled both for 2.4 and 5 Ghz wireless. Sorry, didn't realise this was important.

Just in case you might need this too, the router doesn't have an integrated modem and connects to the internet via a separate ADSL modem device (Draytek).

R

PS The server stopped again last night (the usual stop at 06:35 according to the log). The playlist wiped a bit later as well, and was followed by the incorrect track title issue. I tried your suggestion of disabling and enabling the network connection. That DID clear the problem of incorrect track titles showing.
(19-07-2014 09:57)rweten Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-07-2014 21:25)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for this description. It's very clear but it's lacking one important detail. What make and model of router do you have? Also, does the router include a wireless access point?

I have a Netgear WNDR4500v2, which is a Wireless-N router. The access point is enabled both for 2.4 and 5 Ghz wireless. Sorry, didn't realise this was important.

Just in case you might need this too, the router doesn't have an integrated modem and connects to the internet via a separate ADSL modem device (Draytek).

R

PS The server stopped again last night (the usual stop at 06:35 according to the log). The playlist wiped a bit later as well, and was followed by the incorrect track title issue. I tried your suggestion of disabling and enabling the network connection. That DID clear the problem of incorrect track titles showing.

Which log is showing that MinimServer stopped at 6.35? What message do you see in the log?

The usual stop (that was fixed by the firmware update) is daily at 6.25. This 10-minute difference is likely to be significant. Does MinimServer stop at 6.35 every day, or only once a week or once a month?

Given that disabling and enabling your PC network connection fixed the playlist problem, it seems that the problem occurred because your PC became disconnected from the network multicast group and the disable/enable sequence reconnected it to the multicast group.

Between the time that the playlist was showing OK and the time it wasn't showing OK,
  • Was the PC powered on and running (not suspended) all the time?
  • Could there have been a power interruption?
  • Was the PC using a wired connection only or did it have a wireless connection enabled?
Do the Device Manager settings for your wired and wireless network adapters on the PC have the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to same power" enabled? If so, try disabling this option to see if this improved things.
(19-07-2014 20:23)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Which log is showing that MinimServer stopped at 6.35? What message do you see in the log?

The usual stop (that was fixed by the firmware update) is daily at 6.25. This 10-minute difference is likely to be significant. Does MinimServer stop at 6.35 every day, or only once a week or once a month?

Given that disabling and enabling your PC network connection fixed the playlist problem, it seems that the problem occurred because your PC became disconnected from the network multicast group and the disable/enable sequence reconnected it to the multicast group.

Between the time that the playlist was showing OK and the time it wasn't showing OK,
  • Was the PC powered on and running (not suspended) all the time?
  • Could there have been a power interruption?
  • Was the PC using a wired connection only or did it have a wireless connection enabled?
Do the Device Manager settings for your wired and wireless network adapters on the PC have the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to same power" enabled? If so, try disabling this option to see if this improved things.

Simon, thanks for the feedback. To respond:

It was the MinimWatch log that showed that. I couldn't see a MinimServer log.

Once the stopping behaviour has begun again, it happens pretty much daily. I have posted about the symptoms and discussed with you before in the thread http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=826 which was about nightly crashing of the server.

The time was definitely 06:35 in the log. I haven't checked the log after other events to ensure it's the same though.

I do still have this fairly bizarre behaviour whereby, if I completely uninstall and reinstall MinimServer (retaining all the settings, though), the nightly failure problem goes away. It returns once a new update package has been applied, though.

When the playlist problems occurred, the PC was never suspended/hibernated. There was no power interruption (the PC has a battery it would switch to anyway) and the NAS is on a UPS. It is running on the wired connection only and the wireless connection is disabled.

The power management option was checked on the ethernet connection, and I've now unchecked it. The wireless connection doesn't offer me the alternative, though that might be because it's disabled at the moment. I'd be surprised if this had been an issue, though, as the problems have sometimes occurred during a period when I've been actively working on the PC, so it would be odd indeed if the NIC card had been deactivated by the system.

Richard
(20-07-2014 12:37)rweten Wrote: [ -> ]It was the MinimWatch log that showed that. I couldn't see a MinimServer log.

This probably means the problem happened at 6.25 and the clock time on the PC is 10 minutes later than the clock on the NAS. Can you confirm this?

Quote:Once the stopping behaviour has begun again, it happens pretty much daily. I have posted about the symptoms and discussed with you before in the thread http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=826 which was about nightly crashing of the server.

This suggests there is something in etc/cron.daily that runs every day and causes this problem. There is a known issue like this with the logtruncate script (part of the ReadyNAS firmware), which is known to be fixed by updating to the latest firmware on ReadyNAS x86 models.

You have a ReadyNAS ARM model, which uses different firmware. Perhaps the logtruncate bug is still present in the latest firmware for the ReadyNAS ARM.

Please login to the NAS as root using SSH (you might need to install the Enable Root SSH add-on to do this) and type the following command:

/etc/cron.daily/logtruncate

Does this kill the MinimServer process?
Yes, there is something odd about the clock time on the NAS. It was set to the wrong time zone (Pacific time, eight hours ahead) and the clock was ten minutes slow even if you allowed for that. I've set the clock to the correct time zone and asked it to synchronise with an internet time server.

I typed in the command you requested. I received the following back:

apache-ssl: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 192.168.1.251 for ServerName

The server wasn't knocked over, but having done a fresh install yesterday, I didn't have the server fall over overnight, either.

R
(20-07-2014 15:35)rweten Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, there is something odd about the clock time on the NAS. It was set to the wrong time zone (Pacific time, eight hours ahead) and the clock was ten minutes slow even if you allowed for that. I've set the clock to the correct time zone and asked it to synchronise with an internet time server.

I typed in the command you requested. I received the following back:

apache-ssl: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 192.168.1.251 for ServerName

The server wasn't knocked over, but having done a fresh install yesterday, I didn't have the server fall over overnight, either.

R

Please can you try updating MinimServer so that it falls over overnight, then restart it and try the logtruncate command. This will confirm whether something in logtruncate is responsible for the problem.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's