Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ripped waves but no "album" indicization
15-04-2013, 19:40
RE: Ripped waves but no "album" indicization
Hi Simon,

These are the info tags I use in WAV. I think this is also used my MS in media player etc.

IART: Artist Name
INAM: Track Name
IPRD: Album Name
IGNR: Genre
ITRK: Track #
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2013, 19:57
(15-04-2013 19:40)batleys Wrote:  Hi Simon,

These are the info tags I use in WAV. I think this is also used my MS in media player etc.

IART: Artist Name
INAM: Track Name
IPRD: Album Name
IGNR: Genre
ITRK: Track #

Is there any specification that defines ITRK? A quick web search suggests that the correct spelling might be itrk, but this isn't completely clear.
15-04-2013, 20:55 (This post was last modified: 15-04-2013 20:56 by batleys.)
Hi, well if I were you I would accept either itrk or ITRK. From looking through Google it appears itrk was an extension to the original info meta tags and was denoted by lowercase.. But I am sure I see uppercase as well.
15-04-2013, 21:12 (This post was last modified: 15-04-2013 21:25 by simoncn.)
(15-04-2013 20:55)batleys Wrote:  Hi, well if I were you I would accept either itrk or ITRK. From looking through Google it appears itrk was an extension to the original info meta tags and was denoted by lowercase.. But I am sure I see uppercase as well.

I haven't yet found any specification reference to either ITRK or itrk. Do you have a pointer?

Edit: After rereading your post, I think you are saying that neither itrk nor ITRK is defined by the specifications. This doesn't seem to be going in the direction I had hoped for. Sad
15-04-2013, 21:28
Hi, ok from what I have gathered 'itrk' is an extension by Audiostation.
It is ONLY lower case.
I can't find an Audiostation definition on line, but I have found this which gets a little close..
http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/entry/119614241/
15-04-2013, 21:29 (This post was last modified: 15-04-2013 21:31 by simoncn.)
(15-04-2013 21:12)simoncn Wrote:  I haven't yet found any specification reference to either ITRK or itrk. Do you have a pointer?

Edit: After rereading your post, I think you are saying that neither itrk nor ITRK is defined by the specifications. This doesn't seem to be going in the direction I had hoped for. Sad

Here's where I think we are on this:

There is one standard way to do this: LIST/INFO without itrk/ITRK.

There are two nonstandard extensions: ID3 tags and LIST/INFO with itrk/ITRK. Of these, the former is better supported by other media servers and tagging programs than the latter. The former also has better capability.

Is this a fair summary?
15-04-2013, 21:45 (This post was last modified: 15-04-2013 21:54 by batleys.)
Yes.. Good summary.. Please allow me try and paraphrase..

ID3 and the List Info tag 'itrk' are extensions not originally explicitly specified by MS.. But the RIFF structure supports these constructs and how they should be parsed/skipped if you don't understand them. The only fully originally specified tagging method for WAV uses ListInfo but without 'itrk', yes.

I believe ID3 tags and ListInfo are more or less equally supported in multimedia apps that read wav tags IME.

The ID3 tags are definitely more capable than ListInfo, yes, and is more optimised for audio than generic media.

Sooo because of the flexible evolving nature of WAV file RIFF structures one possibility could be to parse ListInfo including 'itrk' as well as ID3 and give precedence to ID3 if present??? What's your thoughts on that?

Simon
15-04-2013, 22:02
(15-04-2013 21:45)batleys Wrote:  Yes.. Good summary.. Please allow me try and paraphrase..

ID3 and the List Info tag 'itrk' are extensions not originally explicitly specified by MS.. But the RIFF structure supports these constructs and how they should be parsed/skipped if you don't understand them. The only fully originally specified tagging method for WAV uses ListInfo but without 'itrk', yes.

I believe ID3 tags and ListInfo are more or less equally supported in multimedia apps that read wav tags IME.

The ID3 tags are definitely more capable than ListInfo, yes, and is more optimised for audio than generic media.

Sooo because of the flexible evolving nature of WAV file RIFF structures one possibility could be to parse ListInfo including 'itrk' as well as ID3 and give precedence to ID3 if present??? What's your thoughts on that?

Simon

Actually, I am leaning more towards supporting only ID3. I need to do more research on how much support there is for WAV+ID3 in tagging programs before I make a final decision.

Which tagging programs can be used to create or edit RIFF LIST/INFO tags, with or without itrk/ITRK?
15-04-2013, 22:18 (This post was last modified: 15-04-2013 22:26 by batleys.)
Dbpoweramp and Mediamonkey are two programs that I am familiar with that use ID3 as well as support ListInfo.. But I suspect there are many more. I personally use dbpoweramp.
MS windows just supports ListInfo natively.. Unless you load custom extensions.
Putting 'wav programs id3' into Google pulls back a fair few wav tag editors.. As well as the usual confusion about wav tags...
Simon