Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ripped waves but no "album" indicization
15-03-2013, 19:45
Ripped waves but no "album" indicization
hi to all. I'm new about Minimserver, cd ripping and tagging.
I've made my first cd ripping test with FreeRip and monkeyaudio.
Both have no problems if I create Flac or Mp3 files ... In the "albums" area of My kinsky I can see the ripped albums.

Unfortunately if I rip My cds in wave format Minimserver do not recognize them in the "albums" area.

I suppose that the ripped waves have not good tags... So My questions are:
1) can you suggest me a full compliant ripping software to output waves with perfect tags?
2) is it possibile to edit tags of a pre-ripped wave file? If yes can you suggest me a good software?

Thank you,
Francesco
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2013, 20:01
RE: Ripped waves but no "album" indicization
hi,

WAV files do not support tags. Its best to use FLAC files for your lossless audio files, which will perfectly store your tags.

For editing existing tags, many people - including myself - like to use mp3tag. However this is Windows only.

bbrip
15-03-2013, 20:19
(15-03-2013 19:45)Actarusfleed Wrote:  hi to all. I'm new about Minimserver, cd ripping and tagging.
I've made my first cd ripping test with FreeRip and monkeyaudio.
Both have no problems if I create Flac or Mp3 files ... In the "albums" area of My kinsky I can see the ripped albums.

Unfortunately if I rip My cds in wave format Minimserver do not recognize them in the "albums" area.

I suppose that the ripped waves have not good tags... So My questions are:
1) can you suggest me a full compliant ripping software to output waves with perfect tags?
2) is it possibile to edit tags of a pre-ripped wave file? If yes can you suggest me a good software?

Thank you,
Francesco

Hi Francesco,
Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

There isn't a standard for adding tags to WAV files. Some programs support this using nonstandard extensions, but MinimServer implements the standard specification.

The best way to have tags in your files and play them in WAV format is to encode them as FLAC files (with tags) and use the FLAC to WAV transcoding support in MinimServer to send them to the renderer in WAV format. This approach is compliant with both the WAV and FLAC standards. Because FLAC provides lossless compression, you will get exactly the same audio playback results as you would get from ripping the files to WAV.

A number of MinimServer users (including myself) have done this, and are very pleased with the results. Smile

Simon
15-03-2013, 20:49
Hi Guys,
Thank you for the feedback... Only one question about this ...

(15-03-2013 20:19)simoncn Wrote:  ... and use the FLAC to WAV transcoding support in MinimServer to send them to the renderer in WAV format.

What is the "renderer"? Maybe the player? In My case I use the Lumin network player.
And why do you transcode Flac format into wave? Better sound?
Thanks
15-03-2013, 21:15
(15-03-2013 20:49)Actarusfleed Wrote:  Hi Guys,
Thank you for the feedback... Only one question about this ...

(15-03-2013 20:19)simoncn Wrote:  ... and use the FLAC to WAV transcoding support in MinimServer to send them to the renderer in WAV format.

What is the "renderer"? Maybe the player? In My case I use the Lumin network player.
And why do you transcode Flac format into wave? Better sound?
Thanks

Yes, the renderer is the UPnP term for the device that plays the music.

The people who are doing transcoding are mostly doing it because they think it produces better sound, especially if the transcoding setting is 'wav24'. There are also people who don't hear any difference with transcoding. Some people are doing transcoding because they have a renderer that can't play FLAC files.

I'd be interested to know whether you can hear any difference on the LUMIN player with transcoding enabled.
15-03-2013, 22:46
(15-03-2013 20:19)simoncn Wrote:  I'd be interested to know whether you can hear any difference on the LUMIN player with transcoding enabled.

Very Well, can you explain me how activate trascoding?

(15-03-2013 20:19)simoncn Wrote:  .The people who are doing transcoding are mostly doing it because they think it produces better sound, especially if the transcoding setting is 'wav24'.
This is very interesting ... There are technical reasons about this?

Thank you.
16-03-2013, 07:33
(15-03-2013 22:46)Actarusfleed Wrote:  Very Well, can you explain me how activate trascoding?

The exact procedure depends on whether you're running MinimServer on a NAS or on a PC or Mac.

If you're running MinimServer on a PC or Mac, you'll see a minim icon in the system tray (Windows) or the menu bar (Mac). You need to do the following:

1) From the minim icon, select 'Properties'
2) In the transcode field at the bottom of the Properties dialog, enter the value wav24
3) Press the OK button to confirm this change
4) From the minim icon, select 'Restart' to restart MinimServer

If you're running MinimServer on a NAS, you need to install MinimWatch on another computer and start MinimWatch. You'll see a minim icon as described above. Follow the previous instructions.

Quote:This is very interesting ... There are technical reasons about this?

Thank you.

I presume there are technical reasons, but these reasons aren't known at the present time.
15-04-2013, 07:37
Hi Simon,
Is there any chance if you are not supporting the adopted ID3 tag support of WAV files that you please include standardised List Info media tags that is part of the WAV standard.
Happy to try and help with the coding it helps, as ultimately it should still be RIFF parsing - but clearly not being OpenSource I can't attempt to help without your agreement Wink
Look forward to your reply.
Simon
15-04-2013, 10:23
(15-04-2013 07:37)batleys Wrote:  Hi Simon,
Is there any chance if you are not supporting the adopted ID3 tag support of WAV files that you please include standardised List Info media tags that is part of the WAV standard.
Happy to try and help with the coding it helps, as ultimately it should still be RIFF parsing - but clearly not being OpenSource I can't attempt to help without your agreement Wink
Look forward to your reply.
Simon

I presume you are referring to the following information:

IARL Archival Location. Indicates where the subject of the file is archived.
IART Artist. Lists the artist of the original subject of the file. For example, "Michaelangelo."
ICMS Commissioned. Lists the name of the person or organization that commissioned the subject of the file. For example, "Pope Julian II."
ICMT Comments. Provides general comments about the file or the subject of the file. If the comment is several sentences long, end each sentence with a period. Do not include newline characters.
ICOP Copyright. Records the copyright information for the file. For example, "Copyright Encyclopedia International 1991." If there are multiple copyrights, separate them by a semicolon followed by a space.
ICRD Creation date. Specifies the date the subject of the file was created. List dates in year-month-day format, padding one-digit months and days with a zero on the left. For example, "1553-05-03" for May 3, 1553.
ICRP Cropped. Describes whether an image has been cropped and, if so, how it was cropped. For example, "lower right corner."
IDIM Dimensions. Specifies the size of the original subject of the file. For example, "8.5 in h, 11 in w."
IDPI Dots Per Inch. Stores dots per inch setting of the digitizer used to produce the file, such as "300."
IENG Engineer. Stores the name of the engineer who worked on the file. If there are multiple engineers, separate the names by a semicolon and a blank. For example, "Smith, John; Adams, Joe."
IGNR Genre. Describes the original work, such as, "landscape," "portrait," "still life," etc.
IKEY Keywords. Provides a list of keywords that refer to the file or subject of the file. Separate multiple keywords with a semicolon and a blank. For example, "Seattle; aerial view; scenery."
ILGT Lightness. Describes the changes in lightness settings on the digitizer required to produce the file. Note that the format of this information depends on hardware used.
IMED Medium. Describes the original subject of the file, such as, "computer image," "drawing," "lithograph," and so forth.
INAM Name. Stores the title of the subject of the file, such as, "Seattle From Above."
IPLT Palette Setting. Specifies the number of colors requested when digitizing an image, such as "256."
IPRD Product. Specifies the name of the title the file was originally intended for, such as "Encyclopedia of Pacific Northwest Geography."
ISBJ Subject. Describes the conbittents of the file, such as "Aerial view of Seattle."
ISFT Software. Identifies the name of the software package used to create the file, such as "Microsoft WaveEdit."
ISHP Sharpness. Identifies the changes in sharpness for the digitizer required to produce the file (the format depends on the hardware used).
ISRC Source. Identifies the name of the person or organization who supplied the original subject of the file. For example, "Trey Research."
ISRF Source Form. Identifies the original form of the material that was digitized, such as "slide," "paper," "map," and so forth. This is not necessarily the same as IMED.
ITCH Technician. Identifies the technician who digitized the subject file. For example, "Smith, John."

In general, the information in these fields is very different from the information that would normally be tagged in audio files (see this section). However, there are a few fields that correspond, such as IART (Artist), ICMT (Comment), ICOP (Copyright), ICRD (Date), IGNR (Genre) and INAM (Title). There is no field for Album, which is a problem for using this approach to tag audio files, but it would be possible to solve this by creatively intepreting IPRD as Album (thinking of the album as the product that contains the tracks).

Would it be useful to you to have MinimServer support for the fields that I listed in the previous paragraph?
15-04-2013, 19:33 (This post was last modified: 15-04-2013 19:36 by batleys.)
Simon.. Indeed that would be superb.. Those are the fields I use. That really would be super helpful.
Thanks for your enthusiasm and support :-)
I'll have a parse of some of my WAV files, and see which variable is used for album name, as you say perhaps IPRD

Simon