Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unexpected exception java.lang.NullPointerException
06-11-2014, 09:15
RE: Unexpected exception java.lang.NullPointerException
(06-11-2014 00:49)haggis999 Wrote:  So far, I have failed to find any app that lists Updates under About, which is why I would never have thought of looking there.

David

Firefox does this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2014, 13:58
(06-11-2014 09:15)simoncn Wrote:  Firefox does this.

Hmmm. My previous list covered around 26 individual programs and includes some of the biggest names in the software business. Further checks a few minutes ago found that DivX, HTC Sync, Breeze Downloader Pro, ImgBurn, Samsung Kies, Media Player Classic and DVDFab also followed the common pattern of listing both Updates and About directly under Help on the main menu.

I think that trumps one browser by a pretty hefty margin...

Your current semi-automated update process is very useful but for those that may need to trigger it manually (as I did) it seems a pity to hide it away in such an unconventional location. The mini menu associated with MinimWatch is not that long and it could easily display an Updates item without becoming overcrowded.

This is not what I would describe as an urgent change request but I still think it would be worthwhile when time permits.

David
06-11-2014, 16:19
(06-11-2014 13:58)haggis999 Wrote:  Hmmm. My previous list covered around 26 individual programs and includes some of the biggest names in the software business. Further checks a few minutes ago found that DivX, HTC Sync, Breeze Downloader Pro, ImgBurn, Samsung Kies, Media Player Classic and DVDFab also followed the common pattern of listing both Updates and About directly under Help on the main menu.

I think that trumps one browser by a pretty hefty margin...

Your current semi-automated update process is very useful but for those that may need to trigger it manually (as I did) it seems a pity to hide it away in such an unconventional location. The mini menu associated with MinimWatch is not that long and it could easily display an Updates item without becoming overcrowded.

This is not what I would describe as an urgent change request but I still think it would be worthwhile when time permits.

David

I think the best place to handle the manual update process is from the dialog that shows which packages are installed and what versions of these packages are currently in use. As you have discovered from your extensive research, there is no other software that has Updates as a top-level menu choice.
06-11-2014, 16:44
(06-11-2014 16:19)simoncn Wrote:  As you have discovered from your extensive research, there is no other software that has Updates as a top-level menu choice.

That's a somewhat perverse way of looking at what I said. None of the software I checked has About as a top level menu choice either. However, they all have About and Updates at the same level of the menu hierarchy. I am simply suggesting that you follow the pack instead of using an unconventional interface.

However, you are the boss here and are free to do things your own way. I see this as merely a minor issue in one of my favourite programs Smile

David