Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unexpected exception java.lang.NullPointerException
05-11-2014, 15:01
For reasons I won't bore anyone with, I have just been forced to rebuild my Synology NAS configuration. The final step of the process was to reinstall the Java Manager package (using jdk-7u71-linux-i586.tar.gz from Oracle) and the MinimServer 0.8.2 package. All seemed to go well on the NAS but MinimServer is no longer available on BubbleUPnP and MinimWatch on my PC shows the following error.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2014, 16:12
RE: Unexpected exception java.lang.NullPointerException
(05-11-2014 15:01)haggis999 Wrote:  For reasons I won't bore anyone with, I have just been forced to rebuild my Synology NAS configuration. The final step of the process was to reinstall the Java Manager package (using jdk-7u71-linux-i586.tar.gz from Oracle) and the MinimServer 0.8.2 package. All seemed to go well on the NAS but MinimServer is no longer available on BubbleUPnP and MinimWatch on my PC shows the following error.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

David

Have your installed the latest MinimServer update? There was a problem like this with the original 0.8.2 release.
05-11-2014, 16:35 (This post was last modified: 05-11-2014 16:46 by haggis999.)
I just assumed that a new installation of the MinimServer package via Synology's Package Center would automatically be at the latest version. Is that assumption incorrect?

I have now uninstalled MinimServer followed by a manual installation using MinimServer-0.8.2a-x86.spk but MinimWatch still shows the same error...

David
05-11-2014, 16:48
(05-11-2014 16:35)haggis999 Wrote:  I just assumed that a new installation of the MinimServer package via Synology's Package Center would automatically be at the latest version. Is that assumption incorrect?

I have now uninstalled MinimServer followed by a manual installation using MinimServer-0.8.2a-x86.spk but MinimWatch still shows the same error...

David

After installing the 0.8.2 package (either manually or from the Synology Package Center), you need to use MinimWatch to apply the latest update.
05-11-2014, 17:02
(05-11-2014 16:48)simoncn Wrote:  After installing the 0.8.2 package (either manually or from the Synology Package Center), you need to use MinimWatch to apply the latest update.

I don't remember ever previously using MinimWatch as a tool for applying updates. However, I had a poke around and found that the mini menu associated with the MinimWatch icon had a Properties item that took me to a list of uninstalled updates. I duly applied these updates, followed by stopping and restarting MinimWatch.

My Java exception has now gone away but the MinimWatch icon is stuck on grey...

David
05-11-2014, 17:05
I just found that MinimServer had stopped for some reason (the updates perhaps?). Restarting it has resolved my problem. All is now well.

Thanks for the help.

David
05-11-2014, 17:35
(05-11-2014 17:02)haggis999 Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 16:48)simoncn Wrote:  After installing the 0.8.2 package (either manually or from the Synology Package Center), you need to use MinimWatch to apply the latest update.

I don't remember ever previously using MinimWatch as a tool for applying updates. However, I had a poke around and found that the mini menu associated with the MinimWatch icon had a Properties item that took me to a list of uninstalled updates. I duly applied these updates, followed by stopping and restarting MinimWatch.

My Java exception has now gone away but the MinimWatch icon is stuck on grey...

David

For future reference, the best way to install updates is to select About from the minim icon and then click Show updates from the About dialog. If any updates are available, this takes you through a series of automated prompts to install all available updates.

I presume you normally install updates by responding to the pop-up prompt that appears in MinimWatch when a new MinimServer update is available. This prompt isn't shown if the latest update has previously been installed but isn't installed now, because this would normally mean you have removed the update intentionally.
05-11-2014, 17:55
I do indeed normally process updates via the pop-up prompts. That method was a major improvement when it became available.

However, for re-install scenarios like mine, I doubt that I would ever have guessed that this automated update process was hiding under the 'About' option. I think that's important enough to be given its own 'Updates' entry in the list.

David
05-11-2014, 19:03
(05-11-2014 17:55)haggis999 Wrote:  I do indeed normally process updates via the pop-up prompts. That method was a major improvement when it became available.

However, for re-install scenarios like mine, I doubt that I would ever have guessed that this automated update process was hiding under the 'About' option. I think that's important enough to be given its own 'Updates' entry in the list.

David

It is normal practice for software products to put "Check for updates" under "About" or "Help". I can't think of any that have this as a top-level menu selection.
06-11-2014, 00:49
(05-11-2014 19:03)simoncn Wrote:  It is normal practice for software products to put "Check for updates" under "About" or "Help". I can't think of any that have this as a top-level menu selection.

In my experience of Windows software, it is normal for a main menu item called Help to contain entries called Updates and About. In other words, Updates and About are usually at the same level in the hierarchy.

That convention applies for all the Adobe Creative Suite software, VLC Media Player, JRiver Media Center, Quicktime, iTunes, Skype, Handbrake, Mp3tag, and WinZip. These all have Updates and About listed under Help. Similarly, my MS Office 2007 apps all have Updates and About listed on the Options/Resources menu.

So far, I have failed to find any app that lists Updates under About, which is why I would never have thought of looking there.

David