Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Settings to record a radio programme
21-07-2014, 08:19
Settings to record a radio programme
Hello,

I've read the info in the user guide on setting up recordings but I don't understand it all. I have been using Minimserver for the past 3 months and am very pleased with it. Yesterday I installed the Minimstreamer package but have not done anything to configure radio settings/channels. I am using Minimserver on a Synology 214Play to serve a Naim NDX with my ripped CDs.

Specifically, can someone please tell me exactly what I need to type into which boxes to enable it to record BBC Radio 3 (in HD) this coming Wednesday (23rd July) for the Proms concert beginning at 10.15pm ending at 11.50pm?

It seems that the streams url for Radio 3 is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3_aaclca.pls

I don't understand the bit where the example given is:

'#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,[Linn] Linn Radio Classical
http://radio.linnrecords.com/cast/tunein...ylist.pls'

or this bit:

'To schedule a stream recording to start later, select the System tab of the properties dialog. In the stream.record property, add a scheduled recording task using the format

stream-id+start-time-end-time
Either or both of the start and end times can be specified. These times are specified in hhmm format using a 24-hour clock. For example, to start recording the stream mystream at 1930 (7.30 pm) and stop the recording at 2130 (9.30 pm), you would specify
mystream+1930-2130'

Help would be greatly appreciated - ideally the exact details to type where!

Regards,

Michael
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2014, 09:35 (This post was last modified: 21-07-2014 09:43 by simoncn.)
RE: Settings to record a radio programme
(21-07-2014 08:19)Michael Kay Wrote:  Specifically, can someone please tell me exactly what I need to type into which boxes to enable it to record BBC Radio 3 (in HD) this coming Wednesday (23rd July) for the Proms concert beginning at 10.15pm ending at 11.50pm?

You can set a recording to start up to 24 hours later than the current time. This mean you need to wait until after 10.15 pm on 22nd July before doing steps 4) and 5) of the following instructions. You can do steps 1) to 3) now.

1) Create a .m3u playlist file with a stream ID for the stream you want to record. For BBC Radio 3, this playlist file could have the following contents:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,[R3] BBC Radio 3
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3_aaclca.pls

2) Place this file somewhere in your music library where it will be scanned by MinimServer

3) Do a MinimServer rescan and check that the stream is visible under the "n playlists" menu item

4) On the System tab of the Properties window, type the following into the stream.record entry field and click OK:

r3+2215-2350

5) Check the log window for a message saying that the recording has been scheduled

The recording will start automatically at 2215 (10.15 pm) and will end automatically at 2350 (11.50 pm). You will get a log message when the recording starts and another log message when the recording ends.

Note: If MinimServer is restarted, any scheduled recording instructions will be lost and the recording(s) will need to be rescheduled.
21-07-2014, 09:39
(21-07-2014 09:35)simoncn Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 08:19)Michael Kay Wrote:  Specifically, can someone please tell me exactly what I need to type into which boxes to enable it to record BBC Radio 3 (in HD) this coming Wednesday (23rd July) for the Proms concert beginning at 10.15pm ending at 11.50pm?

You can set a recording to start up to 24 hours later than the current time. This mean you need to wait until after 10.15 pm on 22nd July before doing steps 4) and 5) of the following instructions. You can do steps 1) to 3) now.

1) Create a .m3u playlist file with a stream ID for the stream you want to record. For BBC Radio 3, this playlist file could have the following contents:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,[R3] BBC Radio 3
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3_aaclca.pls

2) Place this file somewhere in your music library where it will be scanned by MinimServer

3) Do a MinimServer rescan and check that the stream is visible under the "n playlists" menu item

4) On the System tab of the Properties window, type the following into the stream.record entry field and click OK:

r3+2215-2350

5) Check the log window for a message saying that the recording has been scheduled

The recording will start automatically at 2215 (10.15 pm) and will end automatically at 2350 (11.50 pm). You will get a log message when the recording starts and another log message when the recording ends.

Thanks ever so much Simon - your support is superb! Many many thanks!! I will do all this as described.

Regards,
Michael
21-07-2014, 09:50
(21-07-2014 09:39)Michael Kay Wrote:  Thanks ever so much Simon - your support is superb! Many many thanks!! I will do all this as described.

Regards,
Michael

You're very welcome!

I modified my previous post to point out that restarting MinimServer (for example, doing a library rescan) will cause any scheduled recording instructions to be lost. This isn't ideal and I'll look at how I can make recording instructions survive a restart.
21-07-2014, 09:55
(21-07-2014 09:50)simoncn Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 09:39)Michael Kay Wrote:  Thanks ever so much Simon - your support is superb! Many many thanks!! I will do all this as described.

Regards,
Michael

You're very welcome!

I modified my previous post to point out that restarting MinimServer (for example, doing a library rescan) will cause any scheduled recording instructions to be lost. This isn't ideal and I'll look at how I can make recording instructions survive a restart.

Ok thanks again Simon. Simon - one last point please - when you say 'Create a .m3u playlist file with a stream, etc.' do you mean create a text file (.txt) with this as the contents (or as the title) and place it as detailed above? Thanks!
21-07-2014, 12:41
(21-07-2014 09:55)Michael Kay Wrote:  Ok thanks again Simon. Simon - one last point please - when you say 'Create a .m3u playlist file with a stream, etc.' do you mean create a text file (.txt) with this as the contents (or as the title) and place it as detailed above? Thanks!

The extension needs to be .m3u to identify the file as an M3U playlist file. The contents need to be plain ASCII text. You can place the file in any folder that is scanned by your contentDir settings.
21-07-2014, 14:10
(21-07-2014 12:41)simoncn Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 09:55)Michael Kay Wrote:  Ok thanks again Simon. Simon - one last point please - when you say 'Create a .m3u playlist file with a stream, etc.' do you mean create a text file (.txt) with this as the contents (or as the title) and place it as detailed above? Thanks!

The extension needs to be .m3u to identify the file as an M3U playlist file. The contents need to be plain ASCII text. You can place the file in any folder that is scanned by your contentDir settings.

So do I just create a .txt file and change the extension? Not sure I have anything else that actually creates .m3u files natively?
21-07-2014, 14:26
(21-07-2014 14:10)Michael Kay Wrote:  So do I just create a .txt file and change the extension? Not sure I have anything else that actually creates .m3u files natively?

Most text editors can create a plain text file with any extension. For example, you can do this with Notepad on Windows, TextEdit on Mac or nano on Linux.
21-07-2014, 14:27
(21-07-2014 14:26)simoncn Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 14:10)Michael Kay Wrote:  So do I just create a .txt file and change the extension? Not sure I have anything else that actually creates .m3u files natively?

Most text editors can create a plain text file with any extension. For example, you can do this with Notepad on Windows, TextEdit on Mac or nano on Linux.

Thanks again Simon, I will do that then.
22-07-2014, 14:19
(21-07-2014 14:27)Michael Kay Wrote:  
(21-07-2014 14:26)simoncn Wrote:  

Thanks again Simon, I will do that then.

Hello Simon,

I've tried this out and just made a recording now as a test. I note the following:

the log files says the following:
MinimServer [Synology] is running
MinimStreamer: scheduled recording task r3+1355-1400
MinimStreamer: started recording task r3+1355-1400
Streamer: stopped recording task r3+1355-1400
MinimStreamer: removed recording task r3+1355-1400

This last entry indicating removal of the recording task occurred without me doing anything. Now I can't find the recording, if there is still one (or ever was). I've read this from your guide:
'Recording files are saved in the rec subdirectory of the MinimServer log directory. You can change the location of this directory using the .logFile property on the System tab. Recording files are named with a combination of the stream identifier and the start date and time of the recording.'

Not sure what this means .......

I tried saving the log file as displayed to my Mac desktop, but nothing happened. Surely the recording isn't the log file?

Not sure where the recording is or how I can play it?

Can you advise please?

Also when I tapped on either of the 2 playlists that have appeared on the iPad before I made the recording for the Radio 3 (under playlists), although both of them are there as you suggest, neither of them cause it to start playing ...... (if they were supposed to).

Regards,

Michael