Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer crash on Search
10-07-2014, 20:11
MinimServer crash on Search
Hi. I'm a new user to MinimServer although I've been using server software and Android control points for some time. I have 0.8.1 installed on my Qnap TS-450Pro+ NAS. I use either BubbleUPnP or UPnPlay (both at their latest versions) as the Android control app. In either app, if I do a Search when the MinimServer library is selected, MinimServer will crash. If I go to the :9790 web page to check status it simply says Error. I looked in the log file from MinimWatch and it says nothing regarding the crash. This is repeatable. I have to turn off MinimServer from my Qnap App control panel and turn it back on to recover. Wondering if this is known and f so if there's a fix.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2014, 23:12
RE: MinimServer crash on Search
(10-07-2014 20:11)tony22 Wrote:  Hi. I'm a new user to MinimServer although I've been using server software and Android control points for some time. I have 0.8.1 installed on my Qnap TS-450Pro+ NAS. I use either BubbleUPnP or UPnPlay (both at their latest versions) as the Android control app. In either app, if I do a Search when the MinimServer library is selected, MinimServer will crash. If I go to the :9790 web page to check status it simply says Error. I looked in the log file from MinimWatch and it says nothing regarding the crash. This is repeatable. I have to turn off MinimServer from my Qnap App control panel and turn it back on to recover. Wondering if this is known and f so if there's a fix.

You might be looking in the wrong log in MinimWatch. You need to select Show log, not Options > Show log (watch).

Installing the latest MinimServer updates (update 18 then update 31) should fix the crash problem.
11-07-2014, 00:33
(10-07-2014 23:12)simoncn Wrote:  You might be looking in the wrong log in MinimWatch. You need to select Show log, not Options > Show log (watch).

Installing the latest MinimServer updates (update 18 then update 31) should fix the crash problem.

That's the other funny thing. I have the 32 bit version of MinimWatch (and Java) installed on my Win7 system and everything above "Options" is disabled (unselectable).

As to the MinimServer updates, if they're available for the Qnap how do I get them?
11-07-2014, 08:48
(11-07-2014 00:33)tony22 Wrote:  That's the other funny thing. I have the 32 bit version of MinimWatch (and Java) installed on my Win7 system and everything above "Options" is disabled (unselectable).

I presume the MinimWatch "minim icon" colour is grey. This means that MinimWatch hasn't been able to discover MinimServer. This is usually caused by the firewall blocking inbound connections to MinimWatch. If you're running MinimWatch on Windows, try completely disabling the Windows firewall as a test to see if this enables MinimWatch to discover MinimServer.

If disabling the firewall doesn't fix the problem, MinimWatch might be listening on the wrong network adapter. Do you have more than one active network adapter (real or virtual) on the machine running MinimWatch?

Quote:As to the MinimServer updates, if they're available for the Qnap how do I get them?

When you have MinimWatch working properly, it will prompt you to install these updates.
11-07-2014, 11:42
(11-07-2014 08:48)simoncn Wrote:  
(11-07-2014 00:33)tony22 Wrote:  That's the other funny thing. I have the 32 bit version of MinimWatch (and Java) installed on my Win7 system and everything above "Options" is disabled (unselectable).

I presume the MinimWatch "minim icon" colour is grey. This means that MinimWatch hasn't been able to discover MinimServer. This is usually caused by the firewall blocking inbound connections to MinimWatch. If you're running MinimWatch on Windows, try completely disabling the Windows firewall as a test to see if this enables MinimWatch to discover MinimServer.

If disabling the firewall doesn't fix the problem, MinimWatch might be listening on the wrong network adapter. Do you have more than one active network adapter (real or virtual) on the machine running MinimWatch?

Disabling the Firewall did not seem to fix this (I did exit and restart MinimWatch after disabling the Firewall). I do have multiple Ethernet adaptors in use.
11-07-2014, 15:25
(11-07-2014 11:42)tony22 Wrote:  Disabling the Firewall did not seem to fix this (I did exit and restart MinimWatch after disabling the Firewall). I do have multiple Ethernet adaptors in use.

You need to set the ohnet.subnet property of MinimWatch to make sure the correct adapter is selected. See this section for details.
11-07-2014, 16:39
(11-07-2014 15:25)simoncn Wrote:  
(11-07-2014 11:42)tony22 Wrote:  Disabling the Firewall did not seem to fix this (I did exit and restart MinimWatch after disabling the Firewall). I do have multiple Ethernet adaptors in use.

You need to set the ohnet.subnet property of MinimWatch to make sure the correct adapter is selected. See this section for details.

Okay, but everything is on the same subnet. I just have them segmented by different address ranges. I'll give it a try.
11-07-2014, 18:13 (This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 18:13 by simoncn.)
(11-07-2014 16:39)tony22 Wrote:  Okay, but everything is on the same subnet. I just have them segmented by different address ranges. I'll give it a try.

Can you explain this a bit more? If MinimWatch selects the "wrong" adapter, will UPnP multicast messages from MinimServer be able to reach it?
11-07-2014, 18:22 (This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 18:52 by tony22.)
(11-07-2014 18:13)simoncn Wrote:  
(11-07-2014 16:39)tony22 Wrote:  Okay, but everything is on the same subnet. I just have them segmented by different address ranges. I'll give it a try.

Can you explain this a bit more? If MinimWatch selects the "wrong" adapter, will UPnP multicast messages from MinimServer be able to reach it?

We'll never know. :-) It turns out when I reinstalled Java I forgot to allow it through the Firewall for Home Network use. I took care of that in the Firewall settings and things are now working great. The latest version of MinimServer does not crash when doing a Search. Thanks.

BTW, where exactly does MinimStreamer "live"? I enabled it and set it up to do flac:wav24 transcoding, but is it executing from within the NAS or from my PC? If it's in the NAS I will have to install the ffmpeg package so the transcoding will actually work.

Got it working!
11-07-2014, 20:08
(11-07-2014 18:22)tony22 Wrote:  We'll never know. :-) It turns out when I reinstalled Java I forgot to allow it through the Firewall for Home Network use. I took care of that in the Firewall settings and things are now working great. The latest version of MinimServer does not crash when doing a Search. Thanks.

I'm glad to hear the problem is solved.

Quote:BTW, where exactly does MinimStreamer "live"? I enabled it and set it up to do flac:wav24 transcoding, but is it executing from within the NAS or from my PC? If it's in the NAS I will have to install the ffmpeg package so the transcoding will actually work.

Got it working!

As you have presumably discovered, MinimStreamer runs on the NAS and uses the ffmpeg that QNAP has so thoughtfully preinstalled. Smile