Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Total Newbie - Apologies in Advance
16-05-2014, 07:10
RE: Total Newbie - Apologies in Advance
(16-05-2014 05:10)gnomus Wrote:  Is there a better way of doing the transfer of files from Synology to QNAP?

I would use scp from a Linux command prompt (SSH login) to do this. Have you used the Linux command prompt for any other tasks? If you are comfortable doing it this way (some people aren't), I will post instructions later today.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2014, 07:23
(16-05-2014 07:10)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 05:10)gnomus Wrote:  Is there a better way of doing the transfer of files from Synology to QNAP?

I would use scp from a Linux command prompt (SSH login) to do this. Have you used the Linux command prompt for any other tasks? If you are comfortable doing it this way (some people aren't), I will post instructions later today.

Erm... No I have not used any Linux. I'm running Windows 7. I'd probably need detailed instructions! Do you have any view as to whether or not the files copied to the QNAP will be OK? (There are still 3 hours to run before the copying procedure is complete and I can test it out.)
16-05-2014, 11:36
As an update, the DS seems to be happily playing music off the QNAP. It is not clear what properties were not copied over. Everything looks the same in the CP as it did when I was streaming from the Synology.
16-05-2014, 11:45
(16-05-2014 11:36)gnomus Wrote:  As an update, the DS seems to be happily playing music off the QNAP. It is not clear what properties were not copied over. Everything looks the same in the CP as it did when I was streaming from the Synology.

If you're more comfortable with using Windows, you can do the copying using Explorer. I don't think you need to worry about the missing properties.
16-05-2014, 15:18
(16-05-2014 11:45)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 11:36)gnomus Wrote:  As an update, the DS seems to be happily playing music off the QNAP. It is not clear what properties were not copied over. Everything looks the same in the CP as it did when I was streaming from the Synology.

If you're more comfortable with using Windows, you can do the copying using Explorer. I don't think you need to worry about the missing properties.

That may be best. All I know about Linux is that, before, he got into computers he was a character in the 'Peanuts' cartoon strip.