Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver disappers
24-03-2014, 20:14
RE: Minimserver disappers
(24-03-2014 19:21)Billzab Wrote:  Sorry Simon, I will have to give up this. I have no knowledge of Linux and most of what you have said above is double dutch to me. I have played about with it for a while, but not got far. It took me over half an hour to find where to type these commands and using the terminal takes me back to DOS days which I no longer remember. I have looked for Kinsky and Minimserver in the Software centre and as they are both not there, I do not have the knowledge to install them using terminal, nor the time to learn.

I notice other are having a similar problem with the BT Homehub and it maybe that that is the problem. I have discovered that the only way to ensure Minimserver appears on the ipad, is to close the ipad down and reboot it, it is then found. If I then use another app and go back to kinsky, Minimserver is not found.

Thanks for all your advice. Bill.

Hi Bill,
I understand your situation and I'm sorry that I haven't been able to help you solve or diagnose the problems you are having.

Best regards,
Simon
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2014, 23:36
Thanks Simon. Further to my problem, think I have found out what is happening, but not how to solve it. When I put on Kinsky tonight, again Minimserver was not to found. I logged on to the ReadyNAS and it turns out that Minimserver was stopped (no green light). The check box was still ticked. I had to uncheck the box and save this which stated that Minimserver was stopped. I then ticked the box and saved again and everything was back up and running. I have had this happen before. Is it possible for the NAS to stop the service on its own? The NAS is never shutdown at any time.

Cheers, Bill.
25-03-2014, 08:43
(24-03-2014 23:36)Billzab Wrote:  Thanks Simon. Further to my problem, think I have found out what is happening, but not how to solve it. When I put on Kinsky tonight, again Minimserver was not to found. I logged on to the ReadyNAS and it turns out that Minimserver was stopped (no green light). The check box was still ticked. I had to uncheck the box and save this which stated that Minimserver was stopped. I then ticked the box and saved again and everything was back up and running. I have had this happen before. Is it possible for the NAS to stop the service on its own? The NAS is never shutdown at any time.

Cheers, Bill.

This is a known issue on the ReadyNAS. There is a something that causes the ReadyNAS to terminate MinimServer automatically at 6.25 am every morning. This might be caused by having a daily backup configured, but this isn't completely clear. See this thread for more information. Are you running a daily backup on the ReadyNAS?
25-03-2014, 09:04
(24-03-2014 14:46)wazza69 Wrote:  Hi Simon,

I am having a similar issue with Minimserver and a BT Hub 5 using Naim N-stream and NDX Streamer. After switching off one UPNP device (NAS, Streamer, Mac) it will find the server until selecting the first track, then it will play whatever is in the buffer but come up with no server. Internet Radio works ok.

Twonky still works but isn't nearly as good as Minimserver! Suspect the BT Hub is doing something it shouldn't be which Minimserver is particularly sensitive too?

Thanks

Perhaps this is also caused by MinimServer crashing rather than a discovery problem with the Home Hub. What platform are you using to run MinimServer? After the problem occurs, what do you do to get MinimServer running again?
25-03-2014, 18:29
(25-03-2014 08:43)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-03-2014 23:36)Billzab Wrote:  Thanks Simon. Further to my problem, think I have found out what is happening, but not how to solve it. When I put on Kinsky tonight, again Minimserver was not to found. I logged on to the ReadyNAS and it turns out that Minimserver was stopped (no green light). The check box was still ticked. I had to uncheck the box and save this which stated that Minimserver was stopped. I then ticked the box and saved again and everything was back up and running. I have had this happen before. Is it possible for the NAS to stop the service on its own? The NAS is never shutdown at any time.

Cheers, Bill.

This is a known issue on the ReadyNAS. There is a something that causes the ReadyNAS to terminate MinimServer automatically at 6.25 am every morning. This might be caused by having a daily backup configured, but this isn't completely clear. See this thread for more information. Are you running a daily backup on the ReadyNAS?
The shutdown would explain the problem. I only carry out a weekly backup and dont have much else installed on the NAS that I can think would cause this problem. This only started a few months ago.

Cheers, Bill.
25-03-2014, 20:06 (This post was last modified: 25-03-2014 20:06 by simoncn.)
(25-03-2014 18:29)Billzab Wrote:  The shutdown would explain the problem. I only carry out a weekly backup and dont have much else installed on the NAS that I can think would cause this problem. This only started a few months ago.

Cheers, Bill.

I've never seen this shutdown on my own ReadyNAS Duo v2, which makes it hard for me to pinpoint the cause of the shutdown. It is just possible that disabling the weekly backup might stop the shutdown happening. Can you try this?
26-03-2014, 19:03
(25-03-2014 20:06)simoncn Wrote:  
(25-03-2014 18:29)Billzab Wrote:  The shutdown would explain the problem. I only carry out a weekly backup and dont have much else installed on the NAS that I can think would cause this problem. This only started a few months ago.

Cheers, Bill.

I've never seen this shutdown on my own ReadyNAS Duo v2, which makes it hard for me to pinpoint the cause of the shutdown. It is just possible that disabling the weekly backup might stop the shutdown happening. Can you try this?

Whe I looked I realised that my weekly backup is actually started and run from my ReadyNAS duo v1 and not the v2. This is run on a Sunday. Again tonight when I came home Minimserver was stopped. Not sure what can be causing it. I have no power options set on the NAS either although it does spin down the drives after an hour of inactivity.

Bill.
26-03-2014, 19:24
(26-03-2014 19:03)Billzab Wrote:  Whe I looked I realised that my weekly backup is actually started and run from my ReadyNAS duo v1 and not the v2. This is run on a Sunday. Again tonight when I came home Minimserver was stopped. Not sure what can be causing it. I have no power options set on the NAS either although it does spin down the drives after an hour of inactivity.

Bill.

Can you identify the time that MinimServer is being shut down? Is it 6.25 am every morning?
27-03-2014, 20:54
(26-03-2014 19:24)simoncn Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 19:03)Billzab Wrote:  Whe I looked I realised that my weekly backup is actually started and run from my ReadyNAS duo v1 and not the v2. This is run on a Sunday. Again tonight when I came home Minimserver was stopped. Not sure what can be causing it. I have no power options set on the NAS either although it does spin down the drives after an hour of inactivity.

Bill.

Can you identify the time that MinimServer is being shut down? Is it 6.25 am every morning?

Is there a log file I can access and if so where will it be stored?
27-03-2014, 23:16
(27-03-2014 20:54)Billzab Wrote:  Is there a log file I can access and if so where will it be stored?

To enable MinimServer debug logging, you would need to have MinimWatch installed and running.

Which settings on the ReadyNAS have you changed from the factory defaults? Would it be possible for you to go back to the factory defaults to see if this problem still occurs?

Which version of RAIDiator are you running? Do you have any other add-ons installed as well as MinimServer?