Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver and Kinsky DSD no go
16-03-2014, 10:04
Minimserver and Kinsky DSD no go
New to Minimserver, but have success playing pcm files up to 24/192 using Kinsky as music browser. But while Kinsky shows .dff files it will not load them for play. I note Kinsky is 'fully compatible' so I guess I am missing something somewhere. Assistance greatly valued.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2014, 10:32
RE: Minimserver and Kinsky DSD no go
(16-03-2014 10:04)winmore Wrote:  New to Minimserver, but have success playing pcm files up to 24/192 using Kinsky as music browser. But while Kinsky shows .dff files it will not load them for play. I note Kinsky is 'fully compatible' so I guess I am missing something somewhere. Assistance greatly valued.

Which renderer are you using?
16-03-2014, 11:53
Use PlugPlayer Smile
16-03-2014, 11:56
(16-03-2014 10:32)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-03-2014 10:04)winmore Wrote:  New to Minimserver, but have success playing pcm files up to 24/192 using Kinsky as music browser. But while Kinsky shows .dff files it will not load them for play. I note Kinsky is 'fully compatible' so I guess I am missing something somewhere. Assistance greatly valued.

Which renderer are you using?
Well it won't be a Linn DS..according to them DSD isn't worth doing..
16-03-2014, 12:40
No, not Klimax DS. I replaced it with Chord DSX1000 that I am now pleased to be using. Mainly using mac OSX, but also tried Kinsky on windows. Will try PlugPlayer. Thank you.

So, is Kinsky not 'fully compatible' with Minimserver?
16-03-2014, 12:46 (This post was last modified: 16-03-2014 12:53 by winmore.)
Just checked on PlugPlayer compatibility - iPad or iPhone. So would I use MinimWatch so that I could control music files from an iPad to a MacOSX computer running Minimserver?

For the moment I am using music files on a usb drive. My main storage is an Integrita NAS, but I want to get full functionality before accessing those files through Minimserver.
16-03-2014, 17:10
(16-03-2014 12:40)winmore Wrote:  No, not Klimax DS. I replaced it with Chord DSX1000 that I am now pleased to be using. Mainly using mac OSX, but also tried Kinsky on windows. Will try PlugPlayer. Thank you.

So, is Kinsky not 'fully compatible' with Minimserver?

To stream DSD files to the Chord DSX, you need to install MinimStreamer and enable 'dopwav' transcoding. See this page for details of how to do this.

You will also need to use a different control point. Kinsky looks at the list of MIME types that the renderer advertises that it supports. Because of a Chord firmware bug, this list doesn't include audio/x-wav, so Kinsky won't stream the transcoded 'dopwav' stream to the Chord.

To answer your question: Kinsky is fully compatible with MinimServer, but it is not fully compatible with buggy renderers that don't advertise the correct set of MIME types.
17-03-2014, 01:56
Many thanks Simon for your prompt and comprehensive replies. Your support of your product makes me determined to push on and get full functionality.
17-03-2014, 04:09 (This post was last modified: 17-03-2014 04:09 by wappinghigh.)
PlugPlayer isn't expensive. There is both an OSX app and an app for ipod/ipad... MinimServer should come up as the Media Server (select it). Your Chord DSX should come up as a media Render (I assume it has uPnP capability) You then select the Chord and you should be good to go. Give it a try. Like I said it's only a few bucks or something like that.. Smile
17-03-2014, 05:22
Hi wappinghigh,

I confess I am lost. I have purchased and downloaded PlugPlayer ($5.25 Australian) and I find it in 'Music' as an .ipa file. When I open it with iTunes (default) I can no longer find any reference to PlugPlayer and no screen that enables me to select media server etc.

Should I be looking in iTunes preferences, or ....?

I apologise that my skills seem not up to what the PlugPlayer forums seem to describe as simple selection tasks.