Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genre tagging - feature request
18-08-2012, 23:12
RE: Genre tagging - feature request
(18-08-2012 21:41)simoncn Wrote:  Can you upload a sample file that has this corruption, please? This might be a bug in MinimServer.

You can investigate this using the file i've already uploaded. It might be related to MinimServer. When saving as ID3v2.4 UTF-8 in Mp3tag, i found the following:

Browsing MinimServer with Kinsky for Windows: album art is corrupted
Browsing Synology Server with Kinsky for Windows: album art is OK
The same happens when browsing with Foobar2000 (foo_upnp) or BubbleUPnP
Playing with Winamp: album art is OK
Playing with WMP: album art isn't shown at all

thanks for your help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2012, 00:09
I've identified the cause of the problem. For ID3v2.4, Mp3tag is writing the album art in "unsynchronized" form, which means that every occurrence of 0xff is replaced by 0xff00. MinimServer should be removing these extra 0x00 bytes when it sends the album art to the control point, but it isn't.

I can fix this, but I won't be able to do it very soon.

Thanks very much for reporting this problem!
24-08-2012, 15:15
Hi, New user and seeking help with genre tagging. I never had this working with Twonky and Kinsky. For example if I tagged a work: "Liturgical,Choral" and then searched by genre, in the list of genres I would get two Liturgical genres showing and two Choral. There would be a short list in alphabetical order of those genres which had been used with another as my example and then below the full genre list. Hope this is clear.

Anyhow the same multiple genre tags when served by minimserver and viewed show not separately but as "Liturgical,Choral" I assume from what Simon has stated above that the comma is not the correct separator so will experiment a bit.

Minimserver certainly shows up the mis-tagging more clearly but also I now have a large list (1800+) of untagged mp3 tracks showing up. I have no idea where they come from! Clearly some work to do but as they look like pop tracks I think they may be from crappy compilation CDs. I wonder if I can automate the CDDB lookup, that is when I can find them on the NAS?

Budgie
24-08-2012, 22:01
(24-08-2012 15:15)Budgie Wrote:  Hi, New user and seeking help with genre tagging. I never had this working with Twonky and Kinsky. For example if I tagged a work: "Liturgical,Choral" and then searched by genre, in the list of genres I would get two Liturgical genres showing and two Choral. There would be a short list in alphabetical order of those genres which had been used with another as my example and then below the full genre list. Hope this is clear.

Anyhow the same multiple genre tags when served by minimserver and viewed show not separately but as "Liturgical,Choral" I assume from what Simon has stated above that the comma is not the correct separator so will experiment a bit.

Each genre needs to be a separate tag. If you do this, you'll find MinimServer works exactly as you'd expect. Smile

To tag your collection like this should be straightforward, but there are pitfalls. These pitfalls will vary depending on what format your files are in (FLAC, MP3, etc.) and which tagging program you're using. With Mp3tag and FLAC files, a separator of \\ will produce the correct results. However, this doesn't seem to work with Mp3tag and MP3 files. I believe there are other tagging programs that use ; as the separator, but I'm not sure which programs these are.

What format are your files, and which tagging program are you using?

Quote:Minimserver certainly shows up the mis-tagging more clearly but also I now have a large list (1800+) of untagged mp3 tracks showing up. I have no idea where they come from! Clearly some work to do but as they look like pop tracks I think they may be from crappy compilation CDs. I wonder if I can automate the CDDB lookup, that is when I can find them on the NAS?

Budgie

To find where these files are on the NAS, use Kinsky Desktop (Windows or Mac) as the control point, bring up the problem tracks, and do right-click + Details on one of these tracks. The 'Uri' field will indicate where the track is on your NAS.
29-08-2012, 15:30
(24-08-2012 22:01)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 15:15)Budgie Wrote:  Hi, New user and seeking help with genre tagging. I never had this working with Twonky and Kinsky. For example if I tagged a work: "Liturgical,Choral" and then searched by genre, in the list of genres I would get two Liturgical genres showing and two Choral. There would be a short list in alphabetical order of those genres which had been used with another as my example and then below the full genre list. Hope this is clear.

Each genre needs to be a separate tag. If you do this, you'll find MinimServer works exactly as you'd expect. Smile

To tag your collection like this should be straightforward, but there are pitfalls. These pitfalls will vary depending on what format your files are in (FLAC, MP3, etc.) and which tagging program you're using. With Mp3tag and FLAC files, a separator of \\ will produce the correct results. However, this doesn't seem to work with Mp3tag and MP3 files. I believe there are other tagging programs that use ; as the separator, but I'm not sure which programs these are.

What format are your files, and which tagging program are you using?

Hi Simon,
Thanks for the reply. For classical music I now only use Flac. Pop and some early classical rips are on mp3 but the classical will be re ripped to flac in due course.
I am not having any luck though with \\ as delimiter but may have wrong expectation of how multiple tagging should work. What I am getting for example on bubble ds in genre listing is Liturgical and next item Liturgical\\Choral, exactly as I typed the tag.

Quote:Minimserver certainly shows up the mis-tagging more clearly but also I now have a large list (1800+) of untagged mp3 tracks showing up. I have no idea where they come from! Clearly some work to do but as they look like pop tracks I think they may be from crappy compilation CDs. I wonder if I can automate the CDDB lookup, that is when I can find them on the NAS?

Budgie

To find where these files are on the NAS, use Kinsky Desktop (Windows or Mac) as the control point, bring up the problem tracks, and do right-click + Details on one of these tracks. The 'Uri' field will indicate where the track is on your NAS.

Brilliant. Will try it.

Thanks again,
Budgie