Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSD files and the Oppo
24-05-2013, 12:50 (This post was last modified: 24-05-2013 12:52 by wappinghigh.)
RE: DSD files and the Oppo
^ Yes Simon, all compatible PCM files work beautifully, right up to 24/192. And the Minimserver "share" logo comes up sweet. Very quickly and easily... Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2013, 13:08
^ Simon. This was the official Oppo reply: "DSD cannot be played via DLNA/UPnP" Reason: "SMB must be used for DSD playback as the player needs to mount the file, something that is not available when using DLNA/UPnP." Does this give you any clues.. :

.."The player needs to mount the file".....
24-05-2013, 13:46
(24-05-2013 13:08)wappinghigh Wrote:  ^ Simon. This was the official Oppo reply: "DSD cannot be played via DLNA/UPnP" Reason: "SMB must be used for DSD playback as the player needs to mount the file, something that is not available when using DLNA/UPnP." Does this give you any clues.. :

.."The player needs to mount the file".....

Not really. Other players (e.g., LUMIN) can handle this just fine. There is nothing about the DFF and DSF formats that would make them unsuitable or problematical for streaming. Could you ask whether they plan to add DSD streaming support in the future?
24-05-2013, 14:33
^ Done. email sent Smile
24-06-2013, 22:07
Update..

Simon I've got someone on another forum who says he is in the "Oppo beta test group" interested in this. He says he is "investigating" the issue as well..whether or not it comes to anything remains to be seen.. you can lead a horse to water.... but I can't *make" Oppo contact you.. I'm doing what I can. Smile
24-06-2013, 22:17
(24-06-2013 22:07)wappinghigh Wrote:  Update..

Simon I've got someone on another forum who says he is in the "Oppo beta test group" interested in this. He says he is "investigating" the issue as well..whether or not it comes to anything remains to be seen.. you can lead a horse to water.... but I can't *make" Oppo contact you.. I'm doing what I can. Smile

Thanks for the update. I'll let you know if anyone from OPPO makes contact with me.
25-01-2014, 21:25
Hey guys,

I'm using minimserver since 2 days, and it is so great!
I use it coupled with Bubble Upnp on my Samsung Galaxy note, and the oppo 103 as renderer.
I have a problem for playing DSD files. I hace some iso SACD, I've converted one into both DSF and DFF files. And I'm not able to play them through bubble UPNP.
And it's strange, because, when Im going to play these files directly on the Oppo (through network), they are working properly.

Someone knows something about it?
25-01-2014, 21:28
(25-01-2014 21:25)emiwan Wrote:  Hey guys,

I use it coupled with Bubble Upnp on my Samsung Galaxy note, and the oppo 103 as renderer.
I have a problem for playing DSD files. I hace some iso SACD, I've converted one into both DSF and DFF files. And I'm not able to play them through bubble UPNP.
And it's strange, because, when Im going to play these files directly on the Oppo (through network), they are working properly.

Please read the previous messages in this thread for more information about this. To summarize, the problem is with OPPO, and you should contact them to see what they are planning to do to solve it.
25-01-2014, 21:47
(05-05-2013 00:04)wappinghigh Wrote:  ... Mike. Quick Q/ can you summarize what's the issue with Oppo and gapless? Precisely why is gapless not supported. Is it a hardware limitation or firmware? Cheers.

Sorry, I didn't see this until now. I don't know if it's of any use, 8 months later, but here goes.

The Oppo rep told me it could not be addressed in firmware. That makes me think it's a hardware issue. As I understand it (and I may be wrong), gapless playback requires (among other things) that the receiving component have a big enough buffer to store the beginning of the next track, so it can be joined to the end of the current track. It would also need the ability to retrieve that data while playing back the current track. I'm guessing that the Oppo, like the PS Audio Bridge, doesn't have enough buffer space to make that possible. That would be a plausible reason that it can't be fixed in firmware.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
25-01-2014, 21:47
(25-01-2014 21:28)simoncn Wrote:  
(25-01-2014 21:25)emiwan Wrote:  Hey guys,

Please read the previous messages in this thread for more information about this. To summarize, the problem is with OPPO, and you should contact them to see what they are planning to do to solve it.

Thank you for your answer. But it's strange that the player can read the DSF and DFF and that buble Upnp that streams the content to it can not render it. I will try to contact them. Thanks again