Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSD files and the Oppo
28-04-2013, 02:59
RE: DSD files and the Oppo
^ In the meantime we can use SMB just fine. Right?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2013, 03:38
(27-04-2013 15:28)Holzohr Wrote:  [Concerning the Oppo 103/105. I doubt it ever will be a "right" media renderer as long as it is not ready for gapless playback.

I agree.

I can't understand all the excitement about DSD on a device that doesn't do gapless, and according to the email exchange I had with Oppo, probably never will. I would think that a higher proportion of anyone's library will need gapless than will need DSD decoding, especially given the near-impossibility of ripping SACDs.

Well, to each his own -- one can't argue taste. The Oppo 105 seems a wonderful product, apart from that dumbfounding flaw.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
29-04-2013, 04:42
(29-04-2013 03:38)Mike48 Wrote:  
(27-04-2013 15:28)Holzohr Wrote:  [Concerning the Oppo 103/105. I doubt it ever will be a "right" media renderer as long as it is not ready for gapless playback.

I agree.

I can't understand all the excitement about DSD on a device that doesn't do gapless, and according to the email exchange I had with Oppo, probably never will. I would think that a higher proportion of anyone's library will need gapless than will need DSD decoding, especially given the near-impossibility of ripping SACDs.

Well, to each his own -- one can't argue taste. The Oppo 105 seems a wonderful product, apart from that dumbfounding flaw.

That's a very good point you make. Given any available DSD downloads from stores are likely to be versions of the SACD catalogue. Many of which are classical and legendary recording of DSTOM and the like. All of which need gapless as you point out. Still it's the challenge of the quest I guess Smile
30-04-2013, 00:02
Simon, alternatively, why don't you get in contact with Oppo? They're a nice friendly bunch and might be quite interested to have a chat?? Cheers, Rene
30-04-2013, 10:58
(30-04-2013 00:02)ReneZ Wrote:  Simon, alternatively, why don't you get in contact with Oppo? They're a nice friendly bunch and might be quite interested to have a chat?? Cheers, Rene

Why dont you if you are their customer Wink
05-05-2013, 00:04
^ once my 105 arrives, that's exactly what I intend to do. Mike. Quick Q/ can you summarize what's the issue with Oppo and gapless? Precisely why is gapless not supported. Is it a hardware limitation or firmware? Cheers.
10-05-2013, 23:10
Ok It's arrived. Another customer to shoot off an email to Oppo customer support about the lack of proper DSD<>UPnP compatibility Smile
11-05-2013, 08:54
(10-05-2013 23:10)wappinghigh Wrote:  Ok It's arrived. Another customer to shoot off an email to Oppo customer support about the lack of proper DSD<>UPnP compatibility Smile

Please let me know what they say in response to your email. Thanks!
24-05-2013, 09:58 (This post was last modified: 24-05-2013 10:01 by wappinghigh.)
Reporting back. I got a rather vague email response from Oppo. Probably because the guy responding had no idea what I was talking about. He kept just saying well stream via SMB...

Yeh it does stream really well via SMB (even without queue sheets) except there is a bug in track order (oppo is aware of this).. so the player is perfectly capable of streaming stereo and multichannel DSD... but that is not the point! We want it streaming via UPnP so we can use the fantastic MinimServer!!!

(Streaming to this player does sound awesome BTW)...
24-05-2013, 10:11
(24-05-2013 09:58)wappinghigh Wrote:  Reporting back. I got a rather vague email response from Oppo. Probably because the guy responding had no idea what I was talking about. He kept just saying well stream via SMB...

Yeh it does stream really well via SMB (even without queue sheets) except there is a bug in track order (oppo is aware of this).. so the player is perfectly capable of streaming stereo and multichannel DSD... but that is not the point! We want it streaming via UPnP so we can use the fantastic MinimServer!!!

(Streaming to this player does sound awesome BTW)...

Please keep trying. Perhaps your message will get though to the right person eventually. Can the OPPO do UPnP streaming of non-DSD tracks from MinimServer?