Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Composers only for specific genres
04-01-2014, 16:33
Composers only for specific genres
Under indexTags, I have 'Composer'. Is there any way that I can limit the composers to those within only the opera and classical genres?

Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2014, 17:57
RE: Composers only for specific genres
(04-01-2014 16:33)RSJ Wrote:  Under indexTags, I have 'Composer'. Is there any way that I can limit the composers to those within only the opera and classical genres?

Thank you.

If you select Genre before selecting Composer, you will see only the composers for the genre you have selected.

If you want to completely exclude all composers for certain genres, you would need to retag your files to remove or rename those composer tags.
11-04-2014, 19:11
(04-01-2014 17:57)simoncn Wrote:  ...
If you want to completely exclude all composers for certain genres, you would need to retag your files to remove or rename those composer tags.

In MP3Tag, I could do this reasonably quickly. I could select everything within the (say) Beatles folder. I could then set Composer to "blank" for all of the tracks. If I did this for all non-classical music, then when I looked under "Composers" in Kinsky would I only see a list of the Classical composers?

Is this something folks tend to do? I have a mixed classical/non-classical (for want of better terms) collection.
11-04-2014, 21:00
(11-04-2014 19:11)gnomus Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 17:57)simoncn Wrote:  ...

In MP3Tag, I could do this reasonably quickly. I could select everything within the (say) Beatles folder. I could then set Composer to "blank" for all of the tracks. If I did this for all non-classical music, then when I looked under "Composers" in Kinsky would I only see a list of the Classical composers?

Is this something folks tend to do? I have a mixed classical/non-classical (for want of better terms) collection.

Could you select Genre>Classical before selecting Composer? This would give you a list of all the classical composers. It seems a shame to remove valid tag information from your files.
12-04-2014, 17:21
(11-04-2014 19:11)gnomus Wrote:  I could then set Composer to "blank" for all of the tracks. If I did this for all non-classical music, then when I looked under "Composers" in Kinsky would I only see a list of the Classical composers?

Actually, I did think about this. And I am a good less rigorous about adding composer data to non-classical than to classical tracks. I finally came to the conclusion that seeing Paul McCartney's name in a list of composers a few above Felix Mendelssohn was not going to spell the end of civilisation as we know it. While, as suggested by Simon, I normally filter out non-classical entries using the Genre tag, it is not really a problem for me if I miss out this step.

As it happens, I use a 'ComposerSort:Composer' in my IndexTags entry; where ComposerSort is not automatically created by dBPoweramp, I create it using an action in MP3Tag. With this arrangement, it would be possible to leave the ComposerSort entry blank for non-classical albums; this would achieve the result you are thinking about.

David
13-04-2014, 10:09
That's quite a good idea... just rather a large task. For a colder winter day, I suspect.