Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Newbie asks re iOS/Synology/N50
30-12-2013, 15:16
A Newbie asks re iOS/Synology/N50
Hi

Just loading the software on a Synology DS212j. Intending to use with new shiny Pioneer N50

Is there a Control point that will talk to minim server that can be used on iOS?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2013, 15:39 (This post was last modified: 30-12-2013 15:40 by Foxman50.)
RE: A Newbie asks re iOS/Synology/N50
(30-12-2013 15:16)timtunes Wrote:  Hi

Just loading the software on a Synology DS212j. Intending to use with new shiny Pioneer N50

Is there a Control point that will talk to minim server that can be used on iOS?

Try Linn Kinsky, ive just been trying it with a Naim streamer. it works but not brilliantly. Do Pioneer not make one
30-12-2013, 15:52
(30-12-2013 15:16)timtunes Wrote:  Hi

I use Linn Kinsky. Other options include PlugPlayer, iMediaShare and AirAV.
30-12-2013, 15:58 (This post was last modified: 30-12-2013 16:00 by DavidHB.)
I assume you have investigated the Pioneer Control App, which is documented on its web pages as though it is only capable of accessing Pioneer devices. The N50 player specification states that it is DNLA certified, so it can probably work with MinimServer (in my experience, most DNLA devices can do so, as DNLA is quite closely related to the UPnP protocol that MinimServer uses). There is therefore a chance that the ControlApp will 'see' a MinimServer installation on the network. (EDIT: I now see that, to use ControlApp, you need to use the optional wireless adapter, which seems a cumbersome way of doing things.)

Beyond that, any UPnP Control Point application will be able to access MinimServer, so it is a question of whether they can also see your N50 player. You need to try out some of the free options. Kinsky (Linn) is a good starting point, as it is free, open source, multi platform and standards compliant. I also believe that Bubble UPnP is available for iOS; this is a paid-for app, but there is a limited free trial version you can use for testing. I use the closely related Bubble DS, and now much prefer it to Kinsky. PlugPlayer is another option for iOS, but I don't know much about it myself. Simon's list of MinimServer compatible devices and applications is here.

I hope this helps. I am afraid that, because Pioneer seems to have a 'closed system' approach to things, you will need to engage in a certain amount of trial and error, unless you get lucky and there is another N50 owner on the forum.

David
30-12-2013, 16:41
(30-12-2013 15:58)DavidHB Wrote:  I also believe that Bubble UPnP is available for iOS;
No, BubbleUPnP is only Android.

Quote:PlugPlayer is another option for iOS,
Certainly worth a try; I personally don't care for the layout, but that's less important than if it works in your system, and you might like it. 8player is also worth a try. Some people don't like its looks, but that is customizable, and it seems to be stable in most systems.
30-12-2013, 16:42
(30-12-2013 15:58)DavidHB Wrote:  I also believe that Bubble UPnP is available for iOS

As far as I know, this is for Android only. I would be very pleased to see it appear on other platforms.
30-12-2013, 18:35
(30-12-2013 16:42)simoncn Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 15:58)DavidHB Wrote:  I also believe that Bubble UPnP is available for iOS
As far as I know, this is for Android only. I would be very pleased to see it appear on other platforms.

This page may be of interest. It appears to be of genuine bubbleguuum provenance ...

As previously noted, I don't do iOS, so I'll have to leave it to others to try the download.

David
30-12-2013, 21:04
(30-12-2013 18:35)DavidHB Wrote:  This page may be of interest. It appears to be of genuine bubbleguuum provenance ...

As previously noted, I don't do iOS, so I'll have to leave it to others to try the download.

David

Take a look at this page. Only the Android version is showing as available for download.
30-12-2013, 23:55
(30-12-2013 21:04)simoncn Wrote:  Take a look at this page. Only the Android version is showing as available for download.

Pity. And very confusing Undecided

David

Pity. And very confusing ?
04-01-2014, 11:44
Thanks for the suggestions - I've had a look

Nothing blows me away but going on basic functionality & looks. Need to test more. 8Player, whilst a bit 90's in look, seems the most responsive