Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer/BubbleUPnP/J River combo doesn't do gapless
25-11-2013, 06:38 (This post was last modified: 25-11-2013 06:38 by wappinghigh.)
RE: MinimServer/BubbleUPnP/J River combo doesn't do gapless
Hi David. Few follow up questions.

1/ Why would you want to play music from Minimserver running on a NAS to a PC (using JRiver as the render?)
2/ Where did you read Oppo is releasing a gapless DLNA in firmware?

I've been fooling around with a similar combo. Oppo 105, Bubble on android and MinimServer and still searching for the best way here. The next version of MinimServer integrates with JRiver via UPnP I believe.. but I'm not sure how, when, if at all, and why?? Cheers Wap
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2013, 10:13
Does anyone here know if the Naim Unitiqute correctly handles gapless playback? I'm looking to buy one sometime soon, but would be annoyed if it doesn't work correctly. I have found a number of posts in other forums from a couple of years back when it didn't work but, as yet, nothing recent to confirm it's been fixed.
25-11-2013, 10:28 (This post was last modified: 25-11-2013 11:31 by haggis999.)
Hi Wap,
My original intention had been to use only MinimServer and BubbleUPnP as my default low power DLNA solution for streaming music from the NAS to my Oppo BDP-105. The only reason to involve JRMC is to enable the use of the special asynchronous USB DAC input of the Oppo. That is the only input that currently supports gapless playback.

Oppo UK tech support told me in mid September that they were developing a gapless playback solution for both DLNA and the HDMI inputs and hoped to introduce these changes via a future firmware update. An experimental (and incomplete) gapless playback solution was indeed issued via the USA firmware update that was released last Thursday. A version for the European models, i.e. BDP-105EU, has not yet been made available but I doubt if we will have long to wait.

If you check Post #7732 on page 258 of the following forum thread you will find much more info on this new beta firmware version,

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/offici...rs-thread/

David

25 Nov EDIT: Oppo UK support emailed me a few minutes ago to say that "The EU firmware is a bit delayed because of some problems with the BBC iPlayer, but it should be released soon".
25-11-2013, 12:59 (This post was last modified: 25-11-2013 12:59 by wappinghigh.)
^ yeah i saw that..only supports WAV or APE files ATM.. Seriously.. DLNA really is "alpha" on the Oppo.. It's advertised as DLNA but when you put it to the challenge it aint up to it..
25-11-2013, 13:01 (This post was last modified: 25-11-2013 13:02 by wappinghigh.)
…I'm, praying MinimServer can be seen as a UPnP "server" within JRiver after the next Minimserver firmware upgrade.. to get around this problem as you say as well. Of course doesn't help that the Oppo doesn't do DSD via it's USB port.. Ahhhhhhh Smile
25-11-2013, 14:59
(25-11-2013 13:01)wappinghigh Wrote:  …I'm, praying MinimServer can be seen as a UPnP "server" within JRiver after the next Minimserver firmware upgrade.. to get around this problem as you say as well. Of course doesn't help that the Oppo doesn't do DSD via it's USB port.. Ahhhhhhh Smile

The situation is similar to using WMP with MinimServer. You will be able to load the files from the MinimServer library into JRiver, but JRiver won't show you the MinimServer browse tree.
25-11-2013, 15:39
(25-11-2013 12:59)wappinghigh Wrote:  ^ yeah i saw that..only supports WAV or APE files ATM.. Seriously.. DLNA really is "alpha" on the Oppo.. It's advertised as DLNA but when you put it to the challenge it aint up to it..

To be fair to Oppo, they are describing the gapless playback facility introduced via the latest beta firmware update as "experimental". They also say "This feature is still under development and may be improved in the next firmware releases". Oppo have a good track record of listening to their customers and issuing firmware updates on quite a regular basis.

My plan is to experiment with the new gapless DLNA capability by using MinimServer's conversion of FLACs to WAVs.

David
25-11-2013, 15:52
But isn't that great - Have MinimServer do the conversion to WAV24 and you'll have gapless play on the 105 over the network. Why would you ewant to connect a USB option then? Guess I'm squarly in the 'networked' camp. Does allow the use of a RBPI as a very simple, but good solution.
25-11-2013, 20:30
(25-11-2013 15:52)ReneZ Wrote:  But isn't that great - Have MinimServer do the conversion to WAV24 and you'll have gapless play on the 105 over the network. Why would you want to connect a USB option then? Guess I'm squarly in the 'networked' camp.

Yes indeed. I have no desire to use my PC for normal music listening. A pure DLNA solution using just my NAS, mobile phone and the Oppo would be both simpler and consume less power. However, until I am able to try it for myself, I won't know for certain if the new Oppo beta firmware and MinimServer's WAV24 conversion will provide a genuinely slick solution for gapless playback.

Running J River Media Center on my PC with a 24 inch widescreen monitor would then serve the rather different purpose of making it easy to work on metadata updates and other media organisation activities.

David
27-11-2013, 15:55
The European version of the recent Oppo BDP-105 beta firmware update was released yesterday. Unfortunately, it turns out that the 'experimental' gapless playback solution only works for music files on locally attached storage, e.g. on a storage device connected via USB, and not via DLNA. My ideal playback scenario is therefore not yet within reach. Owners of Linn and Naim streamers still have the advantage...

David