Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank you and questions on alphabet support
10-02-2012, 13:15
Thank you and questions on alphabet support
First of all, thank you for your great work!
If you decide to make MinimServer donationware, I will surely contribute.

I am running MinimServer 0.21 on a Mac Mini Server and it's working just great.

I have a question regarding support for other characters than "standard english" alphabet.

The Swedish alphabet has three additional characters, å, ä and ö. Currently these are displayed, in Kinsky on iOS, under the # heading, for instance the artist Åsa Schmalenbach is displayed under #.

First question is if this is handled by MinimServer or Kinsky?

If it is handled by MinimServer, is it possible for me to change this somewhere in some settings file, or is it necessary to create a new release?

And thirdly, if it needs to be changed by you, would you please consider it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2012, 14:54
RE: Thank you and questions on alphabet support
(10-02-2012 13:15)Json Wrote:  First of all, thank you for your great work!
If you decide to make MinimServer donationware, I will surely contribute.

I am running MinimServer 0.21 on a Mac Mini Server and it's working just great.

Thanks very much!

Quote:I have a question regarding support for other characters than "standard english" alphabet.

The Swedish alphabet has three additional characters, å, ä and ö. Currently these are displayed, in Kinsky on iOS, under the # heading, for instance the artist Åsa Schmalenbach is displayed under #.

First question is if this is handled by MinimServer or Kinsky?

If it is handled by MinimServer, is it possible for me to change this somewhere in some settings file, or is it necessary to create a new release?

And thirdly, if it needs to be changed by you, would you please consider it?

I tried this with MinimServer and Kinsky, and I don't see the problem. There is no # heading, and the name Åsa is sorted correctly at the start of the alphabet.

There is a # heading in ChorusDS, though I only see it on some lists and not others. Are you perhaps seeing this when using ChorusDS rather than Kinsky? If so, the contents of the # section are decided by ChorusDS and not by MinimServer.
10-02-2012, 20:42
Hi again,

Thanks for the quick reply!

This is really interesting. I still get Å under # (at the top of the AlbumArtist-list) both in Kinsky and PlugPlayer.

Please see the attachment (screenshot from Kinsky).

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-02-2012, 21:57
(10-02-2012 20:42)Json Wrote:  Hi again,

Thanks for the quick reply!

This is really interesting. I still get Å under # (at the top of the AlbumArtist-list) both in Kinsky and PlugPlayer.

Please see the attachment (screenshot from Kinsky).

Thanks for sending the screenshot. I'm not getting the # section and I'm not getting the alphabetical index on the right-hand side of the screen. Maybe this depends on how many artists are in the list? (I have a small music collection at the moment.)

From this screenshot, I'm sure that it's Kinsky that's putting Å under #. MinimServer sends a sorted list of artists to the control point (with no section markers), and it's up to the control point how they're presented on the screen.
11-02-2012, 09:09
Thanks for your reply!

Sounds very reasonable!
Come to think of it, If I remember correctly, when an app wants to display a list with headings it must create the list and sort items under each heading itself.
So probably Kinsky and the others only implement the English alphabet and puts the items that don't match under the #. Kind of like a "misc" part of the list.

I will ask Linn about it, maybe the app can read the alphabet of the main language of the device (from the OS) when it creates the list.
27-03-2012, 19:52
(11-02-2012 09:09)Json Wrote:  Thanks for your reply!

Sounds very reasonable!
Come to think of it, If I remember correctly, when an app wants to display a list with headings it must create the list and sort items under each heading itself.
So probably Kinsky and the others only implement the English alphabet and puts the items that don't match under the #. Kind of like a "misc" part of the list.

I will ask Linn about it, maybe the app can read the alphabet of the main language of the device (from the OS) when it creates the list.

I've discovered that there's a bug in the way MinimServer sorts non-English characters. I hadn't realised this because everything looked OK on the test that I ran. I'm working on a fix for the next release.