Post Reply 
Mouseover missing
16-09-2026, 12:04
Post: #1
Mouseover missing
Hello Simon,

Since the update to macOS 27, the mouseover effect for the Minimwatch icons is no longer working. Could you take a look at this? Thanks.

Kind regards, Klaus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2026, 12:56
Post: #2
RE: Mouseover missing
This is caused by an incompatibility between macOS 27 and Java. I have reported the problem to the Java developers and provided a test program to reproduce the problem.

The Java developers have assigned this problem a low priority and I think it is unlikely that they will fix it. The code in Java that implements tray icons is very old and uses an obsolete macOS API that is no longer supported by Apple, so Apple won't fix it either.

I will try to find a workaround but this might not be possible.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2026, 13:05
Post: #3
RE: Mouseover missing
(16-09-2026 12:56)simoncn Wrote:  This is caused by an incompatibility between macOS 27 and Java. I have reported the problem to the Java developers and provided a test program to reproduce the problem.

The Java developers have assigned this problem a low priority and I think it is unlikely that they will fix it. The code in Java that implements tray icons is very old and uses an obsolete macOS API that is no longer supported by Apple, so Apple won't fix it either.

I will try to find a workaround but this might not be possible.

Hi Simon,
Thanks for your assessment. That mouseover effect was very handy for me, since I run two instances of MinimServer.
However, I also understand that sometimes you have to cut ties with the past in software development.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2026, 13:47 (This post was last modified: 16-09-2026 21:54 by simoncn.)
Post: #4
RE: Mouseover missing
I understand that the mouseover is important in your scenario.

I don't criticise Apple for cutting ties with their past in this case. I'm less happy with Java because they are not moving forward but are letting their old code break gradually.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2026, 20:21 (This post was last modified: 28-09-2026 20:22 by simoncn.)
Post: #5
RE: Mouseover missing
The Java developers are now discussing a fix for this. They have confirmed that it isn't caused by using the obsolete macOS API. If I hear more, I will post updates here.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2026, 09:34
Post: #6
RE: Mouseover missing
Thanks, Simon; sounds promising.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)