Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Java and ReadyNAS
26-09-2013, 11:07
Java and ReadyNAS
HI,

I tried to install MinimServer on my ReadyNAS Pro. I got the message, that there is no Java installed and accordingly the installation was aborted. I wonder where I can find a JAVA package for my ReadyNAS that is installed via System Update or via Add-On?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2013, 11:30
RE: Java and ReadyNAS
(26-09-2013 11:07)seveneleven Wrote:  HI,

I tried to install MinimServer on my ReadyNAS Pro. I got the message, that there is no Java installed and accordingly the installation was aborted. I wonder where I can find a JAVA package for my ReadyNAS that is installed via System Update or via Add-On?

Thanks.

See this page.

This page is currently linked from the 'Installing Java' section of the page 'Installing MinimServer on a NETGEAR ReadyNAS'. I'll also add a link from the main 'Installing' page.
26-09-2013, 12:54
(26-09-2013 11:30)simoncn Wrote:  See this page.

This page is currently linked from the 'Installing Java' section of the page 'Installing MinimServer on a NETGEAR ReadyNAS'. I'll also add a link from the main 'Installing' page.

thank you very much. I overlooked the link under the "installing Miminserver..." I'd google'd nearly "everywhere" (including forum) but couldn't find this helpful page.

Sorry.
26-09-2013, 14:49
still receive problems: downloaded file with Safari. gz ending missing. manually added. EJRE installer installed. Is shown in installed ad-ons. But JAVA seems not installed. Miminserver still asking (now in the NAS log) for JAVA.

What can I do?
26-09-2013, 16:04
(26-09-2013 14:49)seveneleven Wrote:  still receive problems: downloaded file with Safari. gz ending missing. manually added. EJRE installer installed. Is shown in installed ad-ons. But JAVA seems not installed. Miminserver still asking (now in the NAS log) for JAVA.

What can I do?

You should not add the .gz extension to a Safari download. This will create a file in tar format that has a .tar.gz extension. You need a file in .tar.gz format, and in order to get this you will need to configure Safari not to automatically unpack "safe" files. The website instructions about renaming the download are for Chrome, not for Safari.

To do this, in your Safari preferences (General page), you need to uncheck the box at the bottom of the page (Open "safe" files after downloading). After doing this you need to delete your previously downloaded Java SE Embedded file from the Downloads folder (very important), and then download the Java SE Embedded file again. Please check the Downloads folder to make sure this has produced a file with the .tar.gz extension and a different size than the previous downloaded file.

The next step is to completely remove the EJRE add-on from the ReadyNAS and delete your renamed .tar.gz file from the ReadyNAS.

Now you are ready to follow the installation steps again with the correct .tar.gz file (not renamed this time).
26-09-2013, 22:19
(26-09-2013 16:04)simoncn Wrote:  Now you are ready to follow the installation steps again with the correct .tar.gz file (not renamed this time).

I did as you advised. But it seems, that something went wrong while deinstalling the EJRE Installer add-on. I deinstalled it. There came a message. "Keeping data press ok, removing data press abort." I pressed abort. It seems that it works properly. The Add-on is not longer shown on the Add-ons page. BUT when I now try re-installing ERJE Installer a message appears, that the ERJE Installer is not deinstalled properly.

Not nice.
26-09-2013, 22:28
(26-09-2013 22:19)seveneleven Wrote:  I did as you advised. But it seems, that something went wrong while deinstalling the EJRE Installer add-on. I deinstalled it. There came a message. "Keeping data press ok, removing data press abort." I pressed abort. It seems that it works properly. The Add-on is not longer shown on the Add-ons page. BUT when I now try re-installing ERJE Installer a message appears, that the ERJE Installer is not deinstalled properly.

Not nice.

Please post the exact wording of the message you are getting. Where do you see this message?
26-09-2013, 22:32
(26-09-2013 22:28)simoncn Wrote:  Please post the exact wording of the message you are getting. Where do you see this message?

The message comes in german. I see this message in frontview.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

26-09-2013, 23:05
(26-09-2013 22:32)seveneleven Wrote:  The message comes in german. I see this message in frontview.

I will need to try to recreate this problem by following the same steps that you have described. I'll let you know when I have any more information.
26-09-2013, 23:24
(26-09-2013 23:05)simoncn Wrote:  I will need to try to recreate this problem by following the same steps that you have described. I'll let you know when I have any more information.

I have repeated the steps exactly as you described, and there was no problem when I reinstalled the EJRE add-on with the correct version of the .tar.gz file.

You could try rebooting the NAS to see if that helps. If not, the only solution I can suggest is resetting the NAS to factory defaults.