Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latency using HQPlayer Embedded (hqplayerd)
28-10-2021, 12:10
RE: Latency using HQPlayer Embedded (hqplayerd)
… surely the raspberry is underpowered for HQPe, it is definitely better configured as NAA (endpoint for HQP/HQPe) and all the chain “rings” should be on a 1Gb/s LAN.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2021, 12:37
As HQPlayer Embedded supports Raspberry Pi 4, it is not unreasonable to expect it to work when running on this device. My RPi4 is wired to the switch using a 1 GB/s connection.
28-10-2021, 13:43
(28-10-2021 12:37)simoncn Wrote:  As HQPlayer Embedded supports Raspberry Pi 4, it is not unreasonable to expect it to work when running on this device. My RPi4 is wired to the switch using a 1 GB/s connection.

… of course, but with some constraint. It should work upsampling PCM to PCM, PCM to DSD is a very demanding task.
Just to get rid of curiosity try to upsample 16/44.1 to 24/176.4, if it works try then to upsample to 352.8
28-10-2021, 13:56
My tests were performed using 16/44.1 audio with no upsampling or transcoding. If gapless playback doesn't work in this situation, this is a significant issue.
28-10-2021, 14:16
… I never tried with raspberries, in the next weekend I’ll try … I have two rpi4 … and report back to you
28-10-2021, 14:40
Thanks very much! I am using the default on-board audio. To make this work, it is necessary to change the PCM rate limit value to 48000.
31-10-2021, 05:54
Hi Simon, I tried with two rpi4s, one with HQPe and the other with RoPieee XL as NAA connected to a usb dac.
As you experimented, the gap between the tracks is still there.
Then I switched NAA / rpi4 to an sMS200 Neo SOtM and everything works as expected with upsampling up to 24/192 without any gap.
I checked the NAA version but it is the same for both SOtM sMS200 and RoPieee XL and they are connected to the same network switch ... I can't understand this different behavior because the same NAA / rpi4 works correctly with HQPe installed on an Intel Nuc.
I will try to investigate deeper this issue and let you know
31-10-2021, 19:00
Thanks for the update. I didn't use a NAA for my tests, just the built-in RPi audio. Presumably this means the NAA (or equivalent software) for my tests is an internal component of HQPlayer Embedded.
01-11-2021, 10:57
I didn’t realized you weren’t using a NAA, I’ll try and let you know.
If you use HPlayer OS (the bootable image) it includes the NAA sw.
You can turn HQPlayer OS into NAA-only by disabling HQPlayer Embedded - login as "root" without password:
systemctl disable hqplayerd ; systemctl stop hqplayerd
01-11-2021, 11:57
I am using the bootable image with embedded NAA. This is simpler for me to set up as a test environment.