Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing Hard Drive in a Melco
08-04-2019, 18:52
Changing Hard Drive in a Melco
I hope this is OK to ask here, but I’d like to try a different hard drive in my Melco. Is it just a matter of replacing the hard drives, switching on and letting the Melco sort itself out?

Some while ago I had an unusual fault which corrupted my hard drives and necessitated a hard drive re-format. It was a straight forward process and I was wondering if changing the hard drives would follow the same procedure?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2019, 20:02
RE: Changing Hard Drive in a Melco
Yes, the process is similar for installing new hard drives. I have done this a few times without any problems. You might want to make a Melco backup from your existing hard drives before doing the swap.
09-04-2019, 14:01
Excellent. Thank you!
21-04-2019, 09:27
(08-04-2019 20:02)simoncn Wrote:  Yes, the process is similar for installing new hard drives. I have done this a few times without any problems. You might want to make a Melco backup from your existing hard drives before doing the swap.

Simon

I have a Melco with 2 hard drives. I assume if I change both then they would be reformatted automatically? Any advice on suitable replacement drives appreciated. I think I have a hard drive failing as I occasionally get problems in tracks breaking up during streaming. It gets cured by a reboot. Thanks
21-04-2019, 14:50
WD Reds are good. Put in two blank drives and power on the Melco. It will prompt you to format the drives and will ask if you want spanned, RAID 0 or RAID 1. My preference is for spanned as I think this produces better sound quality.
01-01-2020, 19:41
Hi - new here

I have a N1ZS - first model. Wonderful sounding machine but constant trouble with the SSDs. I've now ordered 2 pcs Crucial MX500s 500GB to drop in. I've never swapped both hard drives previously. Do I just change them, power up and let the Melco run it's course?

Thanks
/Pontus
01-01-2020, 23:02
Yes, that's all. I recommend formatting the new drives as spanned.
21-10-2021, 14:02 (This post was last modified: 21-10-2021 14:03 by nfnc.)
(01-01-2020 23:02)simoncn Wrote:  Yes, that's all. I recommend formatting the new drives as spanned.

Just reviving this thread.

Do you know if the firmware stored in RAM instead of the drives?

Did you notice any improvement / deterioration in sound quality upon changing the drives?

Many thanks.
21-10-2021, 14:33 (This post was last modified: 21-10-2021 14:34 by simoncn.)
The firmware is in RAM. Changing the factory HDDs to Crucial SSDs improved the sound quality for me. Make sure you format the new drives as spanned.
27-11-2021, 00:10
And presumably if one copies the minimserver directory before removing the old disks, it is OK simply to paste it back again on the new drives. Minimserver will be reinstalled.

Donuk