MinimServer Forum
Changing Hard Drive in a Melco - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Digital Audio (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Changing Hard Drive in a Melco (/showthread.php?tid=5250)

Changing Hard Drive in a Melco - SteveH - 08-04-2019 18:52

I hope this is OK to ask here, but I’d like to try a different hard drive in my Melco. Is it just a matter of replacing the hard drives, switching on and letting the Melco sort itself out?

Some while ago I had an unusual fault which corrupted my hard drives and necessitated a hard drive re-format. It was a straight forward process and I was wondering if changing the hard drives would follow the same procedure?

RE: Changing Hard Drive in a Melco - simoncn - 08-04-2019 20:02

Yes, the process is similar for installing new hard drives. I have done this a few times without any problems. You might want to make a Melco backup from your existing hard drives before doing the swap.

RE: Changing Hard Drive in a Melco - SteveH - 09-04-2019 14:01

Excellent. Thank you!

RE: Changing Hard Drive in a Melco - johnfbr - 21-04-2019 09:27

(08-04-2019 20:02)simoncn Wrote:  Yes, the process is similar for installing new hard drives. I have done this a few times without any problems. You might want to make a Melco backup from your existing hard drives before doing the swap.

Simon

I have a Melco with 2 hard drives. I assume if I change both then they would be reformatted automatically? Any advice on suitable replacement drives appreciated. I think I have a hard drive failing as I occasionally get problems in tracks breaking up during streaming. It gets cured by a reboot. Thanks

RE: Changing Hard Drive in a Melco - simoncn - 21-04-2019 14:50

WD Reds are good. Put in two blank drives and power on the Melco. It will prompt you to format the drives and will ask if you want spanned, RAID 0 or RAID 1. My preference is for spanned as I think this produces better sound quality.

RE: Changing Hard Drive in a Melco - Bashevitz - 01-01-2020 19:41

Hi - new here

I have a N1ZS - first model. Wonderful sounding machine but constant trouble with the SSDs. I've now ordered 2 pcs Crucial MX500s 500GB to drop in. I've never swapped both hard drives previously. Do I just change them, power up and let the Melco run it's course?

Thanks
/Pontus

RE: Changing Hard Drive in a Melco - simoncn - 01-01-2020 23:02

Yes, that's all. I recommend formatting the new drives as spanned.