Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BubbleUPnP Server
16-10-2020, 04:41 (This post was last modified: 16-10-2020 04:42 by Mike48.)
Exclamation BubbleUPnP Server
If anyone else here is using BubbleUPnP Server ("the server") to access their home library over the Web, I'd appreciate your feedback on this. I have intermittent problems with it and wonder if it's confined to my installation.

The server works fine for a while -- weeks or months -- then suddenly starts to reject all connections. Logging into my Synology NAS, I see that the server appears to be running fine; however, if I stop and restart the server, it becomes available again over the Web.

Has anyone else experienced this unresponsive state? Have you found a solution that doesn't involve logging into your NAS? (I have WAN control of the NAS disabled for security reasons.)

Thanks!
Mike

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2020, 17:08
RE: BubbleUPnP Server
I have the same issue. From whatever reason, when allowing remote access and after couple of weeks, I have to restart the server. Running Synology 1513+
31-10-2020, 01:17
Thanks for confirming it's not just my setup. I have had very poor luck lately with vendors not being able to duplicate problems. I hesitate to send this one to Bubblesoft, though it would be great to have it fixed . . . if the developer could find it. Any problem that takes two weeks to turn up is going to be a pain to fix.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
03-02-2021, 11:38
I'm having similar problems with BubbleUPnP server. I don't connect to the Internet with it at all but only use it to allow Denon renerers to behave like open home devices. I've been using this for years but maybe 12 months ago it started stopping as you describe. Have to stop the server and restart it. Ok again for a few days and then, same again.

My NAS is a synology DS214+ and I did wonder if it's because I have the wrong version of Java installed. I use the default version which I read doesn't work properly but when I tried the Oracle version it wouldn't work at all. Now, because Oracle have changed their labels on the files I no longer know which file to use anyway.

Which Java are you guys using?

Bob.
03-02-2021, 12:25 (This post was last modified: 03-02-2021 12:26 by simoncn.)
There are instructions on this page about installing Oracle Java 8 on a Synology NAS for use by BubbleUPnP Server. These instructions point to a MinimServer page but the MinimServer page has been updated and is no longer useful for your model of NAS.

I think it would be best to contact the author of BubbleUPnP for advice.
03-02-2021, 14:05
(03-02-2021 12:25)simoncn Wrote:  There are instructions on this page about installing Oracle Java 8 on a Synology NAS for use by BubbleUPnP Server. These instructions point to a MinimServer page but the MinimServer page has been updated and is no longer useful for your model of NAS.

I think it would be best to contact the author of BubbleUPnP for advice.

Thanks for that Simon.

Is there a way to contact him or is it still a case of putting a message on a list along side mobile phone issues and plodding through the lot until you get a reply?

Thanks.

Bob.
03-02-2021, 14:11
I have made him aware of this.
05-02-2021, 00:25
There is now a Google Group for BubbleUPnP:

https://groups.google.com/g/bubbleupnp

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
05-02-2021, 10:01 (This post was last modified: 05-02-2021 10:03 by bubbleguuum.)
I have edited the BubbleUPnP Server doc page for Java on Syno.
Make sure to have an up-to-date Java 8 install (currently 8u281).
BubbleUPnP Server will probably work just fine on recent Java 8 OpenJDK, but the Oracle Java is faster especially on lower end ARM devices.

As for stability over time it is really hard to tell. Maybe it is running out of memory. Or an old Java version explodes.
If you get the server to become unresponsive, you can send the /volume1/homes/bubbleupnp/appData/BubbleUPnPServer.log.0 log file to bubblesoftproducts@gmail.com.
This file can be downloaded with File Station.
05-02-2021, 13:32
(16-10-2020 04:41)Mike48 Wrote:  If anyone else here is using BubbleUPnP Server ("the server") to access their home library over the Web, I'd appreciate your feedback on this. I have intermittent problems with it and wonder if it's confined to my installation.

Interestingly, I use BubbleUpnP Server only to make my renderer open home; never for the servers themselves.

I confirm that sometimes, the server crasehs on my synology. This happened quite frequently with a google chromecast audio (now discontinued); more rarely with other renderer. Though I suspect my wifi network (I was living in the Bay Area at that time).

Now that I am back in France, and setup a mesh network, it seems more stable.