Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synology
07-06-2013, 07:19
RE: Synology
(07-06-2013 01:06)mbovaird Wrote:  
(07-06-2013 00:24)simoncn Wrote:  
(07-06-2013 00:03)mbovaird Wrote:  I tried to click something to bring up a list (like Windows Explorer) showing the various locations and drives and nothing worked. I'm not sure exactly how I should write the menu path.

I will defer to winxi to answer this question. It shouldn't be possible for this field to be blank, because the MinimServer Synology installation package should inspect your disk volume configuration and insert a valid path.

We need to find out what went wrong with the installation process that allowed this to happen, and also find out why MinimServer is hanging during startup instead of producing an error message for this blank value.

Thanks for all your help with tracking down the problem!

Thank you guys!

Please answer the following questions:

1) Do you have multiple volumes configured at your NAS? If so, did you insall MinimServer on another volume than volume1?
2) Before the Java installation, did you have to create the 'public' shared folder yourself or was it already there?
3) After the Java installation, did you remove the 'public' shared folder?
4) After the MinimServer installation, did you disable the 'User home service'?
5) In which shared folder are your music files located?

To check for the installation process, please do the following:

1) From the package center, uninstall MinimServer and choose to remove it completely.
2) Reinstall MinimServer. Important: leave the textfield to specify the content directory empty and untick 'Run after installation'.
3) After a few seconds there should be at least one notification from the MinimServer installation, indidcated by a red icon in the top right corner of the browser window. Please state the exact wording of this notification.
4) If there is a file minimserver.config, please zipt it and post it here as an attachment. You should find this file in homes/minimserver/appData. You can navigate to this directory using the Synology file station.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2013, 12:49
(07-06-2013 07:19)winxi Wrote:  
(07-06-2013 00:03)mbovaird Wrote:  I tried to click something to bring up a list (like Windows Explorer) showing the various locations and drives and nothing worked. I'm not sure exactly how I should write the menu path.

I will defer to winxi to answer this question. It shouldn't be possible for this field to be blank, because the MinimServer Synology installation package should inspect your disk volume configuration and insert a valid path.

We need to find out what went wrong with the installation process that allowed this to happen, and also find out why MinimServer is hanging during startup instead of producing an error message for this blank value.

Thank you guys!

1) Do you have multiple volumes configured at your NAS? If so, did you insall MinimServer on another volume than volume1?
2) Before the Java installation, did you have to create the 'public' shared folder yourself or was it already there?

1) From the package center, uninstall MinimServer and choose to remove it completely.
2) Reinstall MinimServer. Important: leave the textfield to specify the content directory empty and untick 'Run after installation'.
3) After a few seconds there should be at least one notification from the MinimServer installation, indidcated by a red icon in the top right corner of the browser window. Please state the exact wording of this notification.
4) If there is a file minimserver.config, please zipt it and post it here as an attachment. You should find this file in homes/minimserver/appData. You can navigate to this directory using the Synology file station.

Thanks!

1) No. My NAS is one large drive setup as a RAID 5
2) Just to clarify - reinstall it on my NAS?
4) where would I even find this minimserver.config file? In the public directory on my NAS?
07-06-2013, 13:04 (This post was last modified: 07-06-2013 13:04 by winxi.)
(07-06-2013 12:49)mbovaird Wrote:  2) Just to clarify - reinstall it on my NAS?

Yes.
Please do answer all the questions. All of them are important. Many thanks!
07-06-2013, 13:06
(07-06-2013 12:49)mbovaird Wrote:  
(07-06-2013 07:19)winxi Wrote:  

Thank you guys!

Thanks!

1) No. My NAS is one large drive setup as a RAID 5
2) Just to clarify - reinstall it on my NAS?
4) where would I even find this minimserver.config file? In the public directory on my NAS?

No.
It was already there from my previous attempt at installing minimserver on my NAS. Prior to that, I created it myself "public" (not Public with a capital "P") as instructed. Full permissions.
No.
Unsure. I don't recall this.
"Music"
07-06-2013, 13:18
(07-06-2013 13:06)mbovaird Wrote:  2) Before the Java installation, did you have to create the 'public' shared folder yourself or was it already there?
It was already there from my previous attempt at installing minimserver on my NAS. Prior to that, I created it myself "public" (not Public with a capital "P") as instructed. Full permissions.
No.

Thanks, this confirms that the 'public' shared folder is not available at every NAS from scratch. The package will be amended to handle a situation when the 'public' shared folder is not available properly.

Quote:4) After the MinimServer installation, did you disable the 'User home service'?
"Music"

Please assure that the 'User home service' is enabled (Control Panel -> User -> User Home) and reinstall MinimServer as instructed above. When leaving the textfield to specify the content directory empty during the installation, the package should choose '/volume1/Music' as the content directory. Please post the file 'homes/minimserver/appData/minimserver.config' here as an attachment to verify that this is working. Please also post the exact wording of the DSM notification from MinimServer. Thanks!
07-06-2013, 14:49
(07-06-2013 13:18)winxi Wrote:  
(07-06-2013 13:06)mbovaird Wrote:  2) Before the Java installation, did you have to create the 'public' shared folder yourself or was it already there?
No.

Thanks, this confirms that the 'public' shared folder is not available at every NAS from scratch. The package will be amended to handle a situation when the 'public' shared folder is not available properly.

Quote:4) After the MinimServer installation, did you disable the 'User home service'?
"Music"

Please assure that the 'User home service' is enabled (Control Panel -> User -> User Home) and reinstall MinimServer as instructed above. When leaving the textfield to specify the content directory empty during the installation, the package should choose '/volume1/Music' as the content directory. Please post the file 'homes/minimserver/appData/minimserver.config' here as an attachment to verify that this is working. Please also post the exact wording of the DSM notification from MinimServer. Thanks!

Done. Two screenshots attached showing the exact working and that no config file exists.

Attached File(s)
.zip  screenshot2.zip (Size: 238.35 KB / Downloads: 1)
07-06-2013, 14:56
(07-06-2013 14:49)mbovaird Wrote:  Done. Two screenshots attached showing the exact working and that no config file exists.

Many thanks, please copy and paste the following

Code:
\\DISKSTATION\homes\minimserver\appData

into the address bar of the Windows explorer and see if you find minimserver.config there. If so, please post it here.
Did you have to re-enable the 'User home service'?
07-06-2013, 15:17
(07-06-2013 14:56)winxi Wrote:  
(07-06-2013 14:49)mbovaird Wrote:  Done. Two screenshots attached showing the exact working and that no config file exists.

Code:

into the address bar of the Windows explorer and see if you find minimserver.config there. If so, please post it here.

Here you go!

Attached File(s)
.zip  minimserverconfig.zip (Size: 341 bytes / Downloads: 1)
07-06-2013, 15:21
(07-06-2013 15:17)mbovaird Wrote:  
(07-06-2013 14:56)winxi Wrote:  

Code:

Here you go!

Thanks, this confirms that the installer did set the content directory correctly. Please confirm whether you had to re-enable the 'User home service' or not.
07-06-2013, 15:31
Thanks. I did not have to re-enable the user home service. On the good news, the Marantz now sees "minimserver", I can select an artist, album, etc. and play it. GREAT and it sounds great! BUT - no DSD (DSF) files work. When I try to select one, it won't engage. The player is fully DSD compatible.