Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synology
06-06-2013, 08:29 (This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 08:30 by winxi.)
RE: Synology
Hi, I just wanted to add that the Java SE for Embedded package for Synology NAS by patters works around most of the issues with browsers renaming the tar.gz extension. The minor downside as compared with the Synology Java Manager for x86 devices is that you have to manually add the package repository URL to the package center.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2013, 18:53
(06-06-2013 07:42)simoncn Wrote:  
(06-06-2013 02:15)mbovaird Wrote:  I've run through all the steps again. I always seem to have problems with the "'Java SE for Embedded package for Synology NAS" step. Even on the run through, I still get "invalid file type" when trying to install the Java SE Embedded package on my NAS. The Java files I download have a zillion files within them (once extracted). Which one do I choose to install as a package on the NAS?

I certainly wish this was a much simpler process. It sure gets frustrating.

I thought you were running MinimServer and Java on a Windows PC. Are you also trying to do this on a Synology NAS? This thread started out with a discussion about problems running MinimServer on Synology, and turned into a discussion about problems running MinimServer on Windows, so I'm slightly confused.

For installing Java on Synology, the downloaded file needs to have a .tar.gz extension. If you're using Chrome for the download, there's a bug in Chrome that causes it to use a .gz extension for the downloaded file instead of the correct .tar.gz extension. If this is happening, the simplest solution is to manually rename the downloaded file.

It's important to make sure this file is downloaded as a packed .tar.gz file before you continue with subsequent installation steps. You shouldn't unpack the .tar.gz file yourself.

If your Synology has an Intel CPU, you need to download Java 6, not Java 7. THere's a problem with running Java 7 on Synology models with an Intel CPU.

On DSM 4.2 with the Synology Intel models, you can use Synology Java Manager to install Java. This might be simpler than trying to download and install the Java SE Embedded package.

Well, I apologize for the confusion. I thought I ALSO had to install it on my Windows PC. The instructions are a little confusing for a novice. I'm a "C: Install" kind of guy!

I only want it to work on my Synology 1812+ NAS. I'm trying to bypass the computer completely.

I have downloaded the correct Java 6 version, but it won't install. I keep getting "invalid file type" when I go into the Synology app interface to install it.
06-06-2013, 19:34
(06-06-2013 18:53)mbovaird Wrote:  Well, I apologize for the confusion. I thought I ALSO had to install it on my Windows PC. The instructions are a little confusing for a novice. I'm a "C: Install" kind of guy!

I only want it to work on my Synology 1812+ NAS. I'm trying to bypass the computer completely.

I have downloaded the correct Java 6 version, but it won't install. I keep getting "invalid file type" when I go into the Synology app interface to install it.

To install Java on the Synology, please follow exactly the steps under the Instructions section from this page. If you have problems with any of these steps, we will help you along.
In particular, you can't directly install the downloaded Java archive via the package center, but you have to put the archive file in the public shared folder and then you can install the "Java SE for Embedded" package for Synology NAS.
06-06-2013, 19:59
OK...I followed these steps to a tee. I still get the invalid file type and I tried THREE different browsers. Let me confirm this much - my NAS has an Intel processor - so I want to download the file called: x86 Linux Small Footprint - Headless (version 6 of Java) right?
06-06-2013, 20:09
(06-06-2013 19:59)mbovaird Wrote:  OK...I followed these steps to a tee. I still get the invalid file type and I tried THREE different browsers. Let me confirm this much - my NAS has an Intel processor - so I want to download the file called: x86 Linux Small Footprint - Headless (version 6 of Java) right?

Hi, yes this should be the correct file. Please specify more precisely where you get the 'invalid file type' message. The Java package from patters will claim about the missing archive when it can't find it, but not about an invalid file type. A screenshot would be helpful.
06-06-2013, 20:36
(06-06-2013 20:09)winxi Wrote:  
(06-06-2013 19:59)mbovaird Wrote:  OK...I followed these steps to a tee. I still get the invalid file type and I tried THREE different browsers. Let me confirm this much - my NAS has an Intel processor - so I want to download the file called: x86 Linux Small Footprint - Headless (version 6 of Java) right?

Hi, yes this should be the correct file. Please specify more precisely where you get the 'invalid file type' message. The Java package from patters will claim about the missing archive when it can't find it, but not about an invalid file type. A screenshot would be helpful.

ok...please see attached. Thank you! Smile

Attached File(s)
.zip  screen shots.zip (Size: 421.17 KB / Downloads: 6)
06-06-2013, 20:53
(06-06-2013 20:36)mbovaird Wrote:  ok...please see attached. Thank you! Smile

Thanks for the helpful screenshots.
From screenshot 1 it seems that you've successfully added the package repository from patters.
In screenshot 2 you try to install the Java archive via the package center. This is not possible and thus results in the message in screenshot 3. Via the package center you can only upload *.spk files, which are Synology packages. The Java archive is not an installable Synology package.
Instead, go to the "Other Sources" tab of the package center. As a result from adding patters package repository, there should appear the Java SE for embedded 6 package (besides others). Click the Java 6 package to install and it should succeed as long as you have the downloaded Java archive in the public shared folder.
06-06-2013, 21:02
(06-06-2013 20:53)winxi Wrote:  
(06-06-2013 20:36)mbovaird Wrote:  ok...please see attached. Thank you! Smile

Thanks for the helpful screenshots.
From screenshot 1 it seems that you've successfully added the package repository from patters.
In screenshot 2 you try to install the Java archive via the package center. This is not possible and thus results in the message in screenshot 3. Via the package center you can only upload *.spk files, which are Synology packages. The Java archive is not an installable Synology package.
Instead, go to the "Other Sources" tab of the package center. As a result from adding patters package repository, there should appear the Java SE for embedded 6 package (besides others). Click the Java 6 package to install and it should succeed as long as you have the downloaded Java archive in the public shared folder.

ok...thanks. I did that. Now what? My Marantz NA11S1 can't see it.

Attached File(s)
.zip  screenshot4.zip (Size: 152.84 KB / Downloads: 1)
06-06-2013, 21:16
(06-06-2013 21:02)mbovaird Wrote:  ok...thanks. I did that. Now what? My Marantz NA11S1 can't see it.

My guess is that MinimServer on the Synology is scanning your content directory now. Depending on the number of music files, this can take quite a while, especially the first time scan. MinimServer will not be visible to the control point until it has scanned your whole library.
I suggest to start MinimWatch on your PC to see if it discovers the MinimServer instance running on the Synology. A yellow MinimWatch icon indicates that MinimServer is still starting.
06-06-2013, 21:42
still no luck. The MiniWatch just hangs on "starting MinimServer" when I check the logs.