Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synology
02-06-2013, 20:14
RE: Synology
Quote:David - its great. I've been breaking mine in for 24 hours a day for about 9 days now. It has totally smoothed out. I am currently running a CAPS 3.0 into it (and JRiver). I have a Synology 1812+ NAS. Would love to bypass the CAPS 3.0 all together....hmmm....no luck so far. The only downside is that the ipad apps for NAS-->music server kind of suck. JRemote spoils you.

I prefer the Mac Mini/Apple Remote setup, but there is no denying that the CAPS 3.0 sounds better. Much better. ARGH.

I also did have the Red Wine PS and it did improve things, but I ended up returning it because it was more of a pain then it was worth. I kept forgetting to flip the switch!

Thanks Mike -- this is great info. I owned (briefly) a Marantz NA7004, so I know what you are talking about re the Marantz remote app. Of course, you can use any control point you want to control your music (Kinsky is nice), as long as you don't need to do anything Marantz-specific like switch inputs. It's interesting that the CAPS server sounds better than the Mac; did you try optimizing it for audio? I have my music on a Synology NAS so I wouldn't use a computer except to run MinimWatch. I run Win7 so I can't help you with the firewall issue; hopefully that is the source of the problem, not something more difficult to fix. In July I will probably spring for a new Marantz or some other solution since I've had it with the lack of gapless play (and larger-than-usual gaps between regular tracks) on my PS Audio PW Dac/Bridge combo -- even though the sound quality is superb.

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2013, 20:33
(02-06-2013 19:18)mbovaird Wrote:  Simon - I checked and I don't even have Java running. But I specifically recall completing that step. OK....should I be running Java 6 or Java 7? If it is Java 6 - where can I download it? If I go to the ORACLE website, it's like a maze. I can't seem to find it. Thanks for your help!

If you don't have Java installed, you wouldn't be able to run MinimServer. It shouldn't matter whether you have Java 6 or Java 7, because MinimServer is compatible with both of these.

You can use this page to check which version of Java you currently have installed. This page will also give you the opportunity to update Java to the latest version. It's a good idea to do this update in case there's some problem with your current Java installation.

After doing the update, check the Windows firewall inbound rules to see whether Java is listed. If you don't see Java listed in the firewall inbound rules, this might be the cause of the problem.
03-06-2013, 02:10
Java 7, something 21 is running. It still doesn't show up in the list of incoming connections. No Java anything.
03-06-2013, 03:32
(02-06-2013 20:33)simoncn Wrote:  
(02-06-2013 19:18)mbovaird Wrote:  Simon - I checked and I don't even have Java running. But I specifically recall completing that step. OK....should I be running Java 6 or Java 7? If it is Java 6 - where can I download it? If I go to the ORACLE website, it's like a maze. I can't seem to find it. Thanks for your help!

If you don't have Java installed, you wouldn't be able to run MinimServer. It shouldn't matter whether you have Java 6 or Java 7, because MinimServer is compatible with both of these.

You can use this page to check which version of Java you currently have installed. This page will also give you the opportunity to update Java to the latest version. It's a good idea to do this update in case there's some problem with your current Java installation.

After doing the update, check the Windows firewall inbound rules to see whether Java is listed. If you don't see Java listed in the firewall inbound rules, this might be the cause of the problem.

Here is a log of the latest. I reinstalled Java and rebooted. Same problems exist.

Mike

Attached File(s)
.zip  newlog.zip (Size: 77.82 KB / Downloads: 2)
03-06-2013, 09:42
(03-06-2013 03:32)mbovaird Wrote:  Here is a log of the latest. I reinstalled Java and rebooted. Same problems exist.

Mike

Please do the following:

1) From the Control Panel > Windows Firewall window, select Advanced settings, then select Windows Firewall Properties (about half way down the page).

2) You should see a pop-up dialog with four tabs for Domain Profile, Private Profile, Public Profile and IPsec Settings. On each of the first three tabs (Domain Profile, Private Profile and Public Profile), change Firewall state to Off.

3) Press OK to accept these changes. This will take you back to the Advaced settings page, which should now say something like:

Domain Profile:
Window Firewall is off

Private Profile is Active:
Window Firewall is off

Public Profile:
Window Firewall is off

I have done this on my Windows 7 computer and I have attached a screenshot of my Advanced settings page with these changes applied. If this doesn't solve the problem, please post a screenshot of your Advanced settings page with these changes applied.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-06-2013, 09:50
How many active network adapters do you have in the Windows 8 PC? If there is more than one active network adapter, this could be the cause of the problem.
06-06-2013, 01:30
(03-06-2013 09:50)simoncn Wrote:  How many active network adapters do you have in the Windows 8 PC? If there is more than one active network adapter, this could be the cause of the problem.

Just checked. Only one total. Its a CAPS 3.0 design.
06-06-2013, 02:12
I've run through all the steps again. The one step that always gives me trouble is the installing Java on the NAS. I follow the steps on
06-06-2013, 02:15
I've run through all the steps again. I always seem to have problems with the "'Java SE for Embedded package for Synology NAS" step. Even on the run through, I still get "invalid file type" when trying to install the Java SE Embedded package on my NAS. The Java files I download have a zillion files within them (once extracted). Which one do I choose to install as a package on the NAS?

I certainly wish this was a much simpler process. It sure gets frustrating.
06-06-2013, 07:42
(06-06-2013 02:15)mbovaird Wrote:  I've run through all the steps again. I always seem to have problems with the "'Java SE for Embedded package for Synology NAS" step. Even on the run through, I still get "invalid file type" when trying to install the Java SE Embedded package on my NAS. The Java files I download have a zillion files within them (once extracted). Which one do I choose to install as a package on the NAS?

I certainly wish this was a much simpler process. It sure gets frustrating.

I thought you were running MinimServer and Java on a Windows PC. Are you also trying to do this on a Synology NAS? This thread started out with a discussion about problems running MinimServer on Synology, and turned into a discussion about problems running MinimServer on Windows, so I'm slightly confused.

For installing Java on Synology, the downloaded file needs to have a .tar.gz extension. If you're using Chrome for the download, there's a bug in Chrome that causes it to use a .gz extension for the downloaded file instead of the correct .tar.gz extension. If this is happening, the simplest solution is to manually rename the downloaded file.

It's important to make sure this file is downloaded as a packed .tar.gz file before you continue with subsequent installation steps. You shouldn't unpack the .tar.gz file yourself.

If your Synology has an Intel CPU, you need to download Java 6, not Java 7. THere's a problem with running Java 7 on Synology models with an Intel CPU.

On DSM 4.2 with the Synology Intel models, you can use Synology Java Manager to install Java. This might be simpler than trying to download and install the Java SE Embedded package.