Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSD files and the Lumin Player
26-05-2013, 17:14
DSD files and the Lumin Player
Simon..is there a setting that has to be made to allow the Lumin player to play DSD downloaded albums...?..thanks..i do have 'wav24' set in the transcoding section..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2013, 18:03
RE: DSD files and the Lumin Player
(26-05-2013 17:14)calloway Wrote:  Simon..is there a setting that has to be made to allow the Lumin player to play DSD downloaded albums...?..thanks..i do have 'wav24' set in the transcoding section..

There is no setting needed for this. It should work with or without the 'wav24' transcoding setting. Are you having problems when trying to do this?
26-05-2013, 19:06
(26-05-2013 18:03)simoncn Wrote:  
(26-05-2013 17:14)calloway Wrote:  Simon..is there a setting that has to be made to allow the Lumin player to play DSD downloaded albums...?..thanks..i do have 'wav24' set in the transcoding section..

There is no setting needed for this. It should work with or without the 'wav24' transcoding setting. Are you having problems when trying to do this?
Simon..yes i am having a problem when trying to play the DSD Beethoven download from Channel Classics . it played yesterday at a friend's house after i uploaded the album onto a flash drive and he downloaded it onto his PC and then played it though the lumina using his Elyric app controller..which is what i use also..when i hit 'play' on the Elyric ..nothing happens...
26-05-2013, 21:31
(26-05-2013 19:06)calloway Wrote:  Simon..yes i am having a problem when trying to play the DSD Beethoven download from Channel Classics . it played yesterday at a friend's house after i uploaded the album onto a flash drive and he downloaded it onto his PC and then played it though the lumina using his Elyric app controller..which is what i use also..when i hit 'play' on the Elyric ..nothing happens...

Please create a trace log by doing the following:

1) From the minim icon, select 'Show log'
2) From the log window, change the logging level to Trace
3) Leave the log window open
4) Restart the eLyric app
5) In the eLyric app, browse to the DSD track you want to play
6) Attempt to play the track
7) From the log window, select 'Save as' to save a log file
8) From the log window, change the logging level back to Info
9) Zip the log file and attach it here, together with the name of the track you attempted to play in step 6
27-05-2013, 17:15
(26-05-2013 21:31)simoncn Wrote:  
(26-05-2013 19:06)calloway Wrote:  Simon..yes i am having a problem when trying to play the DSD Beethoven download from Channel Classics . it played yesterday at a friend's house after i uploaded the album onto a flash drive and he downloaded it onto his PC and then played it though the lumina using his Elyric app controller..which is what i use also..when i hit 'play' on the Elyric ..nothing happens...

Please create a trace log by doing the following:

1) From the minim icon, select 'Show log'
2) From the log window, change the logging level to Trace
3) Leave the log window open
4) Restart the eLyric app
5) In the eLyric app, browse to the DSD track you want to play
6) Attempt to play the track
7) From the log window, select 'Save as' to save a log file
8) From the log window, change the logging level back to Info
9) Zip the log file and attach it here, together with the name of the track you attempted to play in step 6
simon...when i download a CC dsd album the folder containing the file has both mp3 and diff files..when i 'restarted' the minim icon...after downloading the album..the album appears in the Elyric MM as an mp3 file ..not the diff...it looks like when i restart the minim ..after the download...that minim is uploading the mp3 file and not the diff file..i did try and 'trash' the mp3 component of the folder but i had already 'restarted' the minim server..ps...i do not know how to 'zip the log and attach it here.....'...dave
27-05-2013, 20:24
(27-05-2013 17:15)calloway Wrote:  simon...when i download a CC dsd album the folder containing the file has both mp3 and diff files..when i 'restarted' the minim icon...after downloading the album..the album appears in the Elyric MM as an mp3 file ..not the diff...it looks like when i restart the minim ..after the download...that minim is uploading the mp3 file and not the diff file..i did try and 'trash' the mp3 component of the folder but i had already 'restarted' the minim server..ps...i do not know how to 'zip the log and attach it here.....'...dave

What is the exact file extension of the DSD file you are trying to play? You are referring to it as a diff file. I would expect the extension to be either '.dff' or '.dsf'.

If the file extension of the DSD file is either '.dff' or '.dsf', MinimServer should recognise the DSD file as well as the MP3 file. MinimServer currently doesn't read tags from .dff files, so these files would appear only under 'untagged"' and 'folder view'. If you're not seeing the DSD files for this album where you expect to find them, this could be the reason.

Are you trying to play these files from EMM (eLyric Music Manager) or from the eLyric iPad/iPod control point talking to MinimServer? I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to 'downloading' the album to EMM and 'uploading' the files to MinimServer. Pease clarify exactly what setup you are using to download, browse and play these DSD files.

I've sent you a PM with an alternative suggestion for how to send me log files.
27-05-2013, 22:29
(27-05-2013 20:24)simoncn Wrote:  
(27-05-2013 17:15)calloway Wrote:  simon...when i download a CC dsd album the folder containing the file has both mp3 and diff files..when i 'restarted' the minim icon...after downloading the album..the album appears in the Elyric MM as an mp3 file ..not the diff...it looks like when i restart the minim ..after the download...that minim is uploading the mp3 file and not the diff file..i did try and 'trash' the mp3 component of the folder but i had already 'restarted' the minim server..ps...i do not know how to 'zip the log and attach it here.....'...dave

What is the exact file extension of the DSD file you are trying to play? You are referring to it as a diff file. I would expect the extension to be either '.dff' or '.dsf'.

If the file extension of the DSD file is either '.dff' or '.dsf', MinimServer should recognise the DSD file as well as the MP3 file. MinimServer currently doesn't read tags from .dff files, so these files would appear only under 'untagged"' and 'folder view'. If you're not seeing the DSD files for this album where you expect to find them, this could be the reason.

Are you trying to play these files from EMM (eLyric Music Manager) or from the eLyric iPad/iPod control point talking to MinimServer? I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to 'downloading' the album to EMM and 'uploading' the files to MinimServer. Pease clarify exactly what setup you are using to download, browse and play these DSD files.

27-05-2013, 22:37
(27-05-2013 22:29)calloway Wrote:  
(27-05-2013 20:24)simoncn Wrote:  

simon..yes..i do mean 'dff' files...sorry...this is the format that Channel Classics uses for their DSD albums...i am currently using both the elyric ipad app and the Kinsky app to for my control point..i am not using the EMM . i do also use an iMac computer..since Minim does not read 'dff' files this is probably the problem as to why the albums do not play.interesting that the first album did play in dsd after placing it on a flash drive and uploading it to my friend's PC with minim and the Elyric ipad app...anyway..is there a way around the fact that Minim will not play dff files that would allow me to play the dff files using Minim..??..i am trying to decide whether to buy the Lumin Player as it is very good...although probably no better then the PWD MKII ...in my system . if i can't use the DSD aspect it soesn't make it worth my while to buy it...thanks..dave
28-05-2013, 11:03 (This post was last modified: 28-05-2013 11:04 by simoncn.)
(27-05-2013 22:37)calloway Wrote:  simon..yes..i do mean 'dff' files...sorry...this is the format that Channel Classics uses for their DSD albums...i am currently using both the elyric ipad app and the Kinsky app to for my control point..i am not using the EMM . i do also use an iMac computer..since Minim does not read 'dff' files this is probably the problem as to why the albums do not play.interesting that the first album did play in dsd after placing it on a flash drive and uploading it to my friend's PC with minim and the Elyric ipad app...anyway..is there a way around the fact that Minim will not play dff files that would allow me to play the dff files using Minim..??..i am trying to decide whether to buy the Lumin Player as it is very good...although probably no better then the PWD MKII ...in my system . if i can't use the DSD aspect it soesn't make it worth my while to buy it...thanks..dave

MinimServer does read and play .dff files. A number of people are using MinimServer with the LUMIN player to play these files.

MinimServer currently doesn't read tags from .dff files, so you'll need to use either [folder view] or [untagged] in the index to find and play your .dff files.
28-05-2013, 15:39
(28-05-2013 11:03)simoncn Wrote:  
(27-05-2013 22:37)calloway Wrote:  simon..yes..i do mean 'dff' files...sorry...this is the format that Channel Classics uses for their DSD albums...i am currently using both the elyric ipad app and the Kinsky app to for my control point..i am not using the EMM . i do also use an iMac computer..since Minim does not read 'dff' files this is probably the problem as to why the albums do not play.interesting that the first album did play in dsd after placing it on a flash drive and uploading it to my friend's PC with minim and the Elyric ipad app...anyway..is there a way around the fact that Minim will not play dff files that would allow me to play the dff files using Minim..??..i am trying to decide whether to buy the Lumin Player as it is very good...although probably no better then the PWD MKII ...in my system . if i can't use the DSD aspect it soesn't make it worth my while to buy it...thanks..dave

MinimServer does read and play .dff files. A number of people are using MinimServer with the LUMIN player to play these files.

MinimServer currently doesn't read tags from .dff files, so you'll need to use either [folder view] or [untagged] in the index to find and play your .dff files.

Simon..thanks..i will do that when i get home..dave