Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio output
14-09-2019, 09:42 (This post was last modified: 14-09-2019 09:42 by Grundgütiger.)
Audio output
Hi there,

I wonder if it is possible for MinimServer to detect and choose the audio output way.

I have my audio files on a QNAP NAS and MinimServer installed, which works fine with MinimWatch on my Linux laptop. Now I would like to plug in my DAC into the NAS via USB and direct the output signal to it, but I guess this doesn't work?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2019, 11:20
RE: Audio output
To do this, you would need a UPnP renderer app running on the NAS. I don't think there is anything like this available. MinimServer is a UPnP server, not a renderer, so it can't play music directly to a DAC.
14-09-2019, 11:28
Thanks simoncn for the fast reply!

I am looking for a solution for a music server software that can handle my audio files on my NAS for quite some time now. It works with QNAP's own music app, but this app is as crap as hell and unfortunatelly totally unusable. I like JRiver's Media Center a lot but there's only a workaround with Docker, which I don't understand enough to get it running. I guess I have to go to Roon then, very expensive, but at least it works.

Cheers!
14-09-2019, 12:55
Thanks, I understand. Maybe one day I will find time to write a UPnP renderer that can run on QNAP and other devices.
14-09-2019, 14:18
(14-09-2019 11:28)Grundgütiger Wrote:  I am looking for a solution for a music server software that can handle my audio files on my NAS for quite some time now. It works with QNAP's own music app, but this app is as crap as hell and unfortunatelly totally unusable. I like JRiver's Media Center a lot but there's only a workaround with Docker, which I don't understand enough to get it running. I guess I have to go to Roon then, very expensive, but at least it works.
Is sound quality (SQ) or convenience of having everything all in the NAS more important?

One of the ways to get good SQ is to separate the music server from the renderer and that is highly recommended by Roon themselves to have a separate Roon end point. The Roon server side takes a lot of resources (CPU and disk) and that impacts the SQ of renderer. So Roon on QNAP, without a Roon end point, will be an expensive solution with compromised SQ.

If SQ is more important, suggest getting a separate good renderer with good power supply to feed a DAC. It also opens up the option to use MinimServer.
14-09-2019, 17:30
I can confirm that using different devices for renderer+DAC and server improves sound quality in my setup.
14-09-2019, 22:32
(14-09-2019 11:28)Grundgütiger Wrote:  Thanks simoncn for the fast reply!

I am looking for a solution for a music server software that can handle my audio files on my NAS for quite some time now. It works with QNAP's own music app, but this app is as crap as hell and unfortunatelly totally unusable. I like JRiver's Media Center a lot but there's only a workaround with Docker, which I don't understand enough to get it running. I guess I have to go to Roon then, very expensive, but at least it works.

Cheers!
You might try to run XBMC/Kodi on your QNAP.
It is capable to act as a uPnP renderer
I have been using this program for several years on my PC and it works well in combination with MinimServer.
It is available for QNAP.