Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
03-02-2019, 17:56 (This post was last modified: 03-02-2019 17:58 by eagle3333.)
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
(03-02-2019 10:32)simoncn Wrote:  Does your Buffalo router have wi-fi? This is the best way to connect the iPad.

Yes it does. Because its default gateway is different to the Sky router it operates as an isolated/separate network. See diagram one of the two diagrams in the attachment I posted. I connect to it using iPad wifi as opposed to connecting to the Sky router.. If I disconnect from router 1 it comes off the wifi and I guess only a hard line connection between router 2 and iPad is then possible. The wifi probably won't work without router 1 (Sky) connected.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to try your test until back in UK in a few weeks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2019, 18:17 (This post was last modified: 03-02-2019 18:18 by simoncn.)
My suggested test is to create a completely isolated local network using the Buffalo router (with its wi-fi access point active), the iPad (connected via wi-fi to the Buffalo router) and the Melco (connected via Ethernet to the Buffalo router). This will not have internet access but should be able to play music locally. If you get dropouts with this setup, the issue is related to the Buffalo router. If not, it is either related to the Sky router or caused by something else on your main network.
03-02-2019, 19:00
(03-02-2019 18:17)simoncn Wrote:  My suggested test is to create a completely isolated local network using the Buffalo router (with its wi-fi access point active), the iPad (connected via wi-fi to the Buffalo router) and the Melco (connected via Ethernet to the Buffalo router). This will not have internet access but should be able to play music locally. If you get dropouts with this setup, the issue is related to the Buffalo router. If not, it is either related to the Sky router or caused by something else on your main network.

Ah, understood. Many thanks, Simon. I'll report back as soon as I've tried this.
23-04-2019, 18:54
Hi all,

I am considering taking the plunge on a Melco. Any Linn owners on here have any operational glitches at all in using their Linn via the player port on the Melco? Is the control point experience completely seamless? I have a very conventional network set-up, and mainly use Kazoo on iOS.

Thanks.
23-04-2019, 20:12 (This post was last modified: 23-04-2019 20:13 by Peter@57m.)
I have used a Melco N1A and more recently a N1Z running MinimServer with a Linn Klimax DSM with no issues at all. In fact although the player port is connected to the KDSM I use the Melco to stream to two other Linn DSs over the network.

Peter
QNAP 559 ProII, Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Linn, Lumin & Kazoo
23-04-2019, 20:23
(23-04-2019 18:54)ac16161 Wrote:  Hi all,

I am considering taking the plunge on a Melco. Any Linn owners on here have any operational glitches at all in using their Linn via the player port on the Melco? Is the control point experience completely seamless? I have a very conventional network set-up, and mainly use Kazoo on iOS.

Thanks.

I bought my Melco from a Linn dealer. He thought the Melco and Linn combination worked very well. I can't say anymore on the combination since I don't have a Linn. I know from my experience the Melco can be controlled easily with third party apps like Kazoo or MConnect.
23-04-2019, 21:01
(23-04-2019 18:54)ac16161 Wrote:  Hi all,

Thanks.

I use an N1Z with my Akurate DS, using the Player port. Works fine with Kazoo and Lumin apps on iPad.
27-04-2019, 11:43
Go for it. I have had an N1/A since they came out. No issues, continuous use, no failures.
Don't use Twonky, and be sure to disable it. Minimserver works fine, and survives Melco firmware upgrades.
I use mine in Raid 0 configuration and though this is polemical.
Always keep a separate NAS /hard disk as emergency back up.
See Martin H's report on about page 6 of this thread.
I prefer Lumin, but the Linn apps work fine. I have no experience of using the Melco with USB output but there is lots you can do with it.
Good Luck
27-04-2019, 12:30
Thanks for the feedback on my question, I may well order. A Melco could clean up the network feed for my Linn KDS while I still have it, and I am also exploring a switch of my KDS for a a USB DAC and of course the Melco would be a transport for that.
27-04-2019, 17:08
The LAN player port and USB output port both produce excellent sound quality. Which is better will depend on the DAC you are using. In my setup with a DAC that has both USB and LAN inputs, the USB output sounds better (but only when using a good USB cable).