Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MIME Type DSF and DFF
01-03-2019, 17:30 (This post was last modified: 01-03-2019 17:56 by criable.)
MIME Type DSF and DFF
Hi all,

I have a SOTM streamer going into an USB bridge and then into a DSD capable dac.
Understand for Minimserver to stream native DSF files - it is required to specify in the serverOptions the following value: mimeType.dsf=audio/x-dsd

First things first - I think the minimserver website got the example wrong. Wrong value being specified. See below. Secondly - after specifying the correct value - my streamer still receive PCM streams even though I play dsf files. Any way to have DSF file stream natively as DSD without being automatically converted into PCM by minimserver? I am running Minimserver on a synology NAS if it makes any difference

[Custom MIME types [NEW]
You can use the mimeType.dsf and mimeType.dff options of the serverOptions property to set custom MIME types for streaming DSF and DFF files in native format (i.e., without DoP/WAV transcoding). This customization is required to play DSF and DFF files on some Sony and Onkyo renderers that don't support the industry standard MIME types (audio/x-dsf and audio/x-dff) for these streams.

For each of these options, the value is the custom MIME type that you want MinimServer to send. For example, to make MinimServer send the MIME type audio/x-dsd for all native DSF streams, you can specify minimType.dsf=audio/x-dsd in the serverOptions property. You can specify any value to be used as the MIME type and MinimServer will send the exact value that you specify.

You should only set these options if you are having problems playing DSF and DFF files on your renderer. It's a good idea to ask on the MinimServer forum for advice about whether you should set these options and what values you should specify for the custom MIME types.]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2019, 19:08 (This post was last modified: 01-03-2019 19:09 by simoncn.)
RE: MIME Type DSF and DFF
Thanks for letting me know about the typo - now fixed.

The setting mimeType=audio/x-dsd is required only if your renderer is expecting this nonstandard MIME type for native DSD files (not DoP or PCM). Most renderers support the standard MIME type audio/x-dsf for these files. What information do you have about the correct MIME type for your renderer and where did you get this information?

Also, have you set anything in stream.transcode for .dsf files?
02-03-2019, 00:43 (This post was last modified: 02-03-2019 03:59 by criable.)
(01-03-2019 19:08)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for letting me know about the typo - now fixed.

The setting mimeType=audio/x-dsd is required only if your renderer is expecting this nonstandard MIME type for native DSD files (not DoP or PCM). Most renderers support the standard MIME type audio/x-dsf for these files. What information do you have about the correct MIME type for your renderer and where did you get this information?

Also, have you set anything in stream.transcode for .dsf files?

Thanks Simon for your reply
It seems to me that Minimserver automatically transcodes dsf to pcm. I don’t even have minimstreamer installed on my system. Thats weird.

Sotm support native dsd/ dsf (and I have set it up correctly) - therefore was quite suprised to see both my usb bridge and dac displaying the pcm when playing dsf file. I use both Linn and Lumin cp - the linn cp cannot even play dsf files. Whenever I click on a dsf file - it does nothing. On the Lumin cp - it does play dsf file - but transcoded to pcm.
02-03-2019, 09:27
Are you by any chance using BubbleUPnP Server to create an OpenHome renderer for the SOTM? If so, the transcoding from DSF to PCM might be happening in BubbleUPnP Server. It is definitely not happening in MinimServer.
02-03-2019, 10:00
(02-03-2019 09:27)simoncn Wrote:  Are you by any chance using BubbleUPnP Server to create an OpenHome renderer for the SOTM? If so, the transcoding from DSF to PCM might be happening in BubbleUPnP Server. It is definitely not happening in MinimServer.

Hi Simon,

Thanks so much for your reply.
I am not using BlubbleUPnP - but in SOtM MPD/ DLMA mode - I've to active the OpenHome function in order for my control point (Lumin, Linn) to "see" the renderer. Without enabling this OpenHome option in SOtM MPD/ DLNA mode - it wouldn't work. Does it matter? Thanks so much for your assistance.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-03-2019, 10:30 (This post was last modified: 02-03-2019 10:31 by simoncn.)
It is quite likely that enabling OpenHome in the SOtM user interface is running BubbleUPnP Server "under the covers".

According to this document, in order to play DSF files on the SOtM you need to install MinimServer and put dsf:dopwav in stream.transcode.

Also, this page says that native DSD support is available for certain DACs with SOtM Eunhasu.

I suggest you contact SOtM to ask about the correct settings to enable DSD playback on your system.
02-03-2019, 11:20 (This post was last modified: 02-03-2019 12:02 by criable.)
(02-03-2019 10:30)simoncn Wrote:  It is quite likely that enabling OpenHome in the SOtM user interface is running BubbleUPnP Server "under the covers".

According to this document, in order to play DSF files on the SOtM you need to install MinimServer and put dsf:dopwav in stream.transcode.

Also, this page says that native DSD support is available for certain DACs with SOtM Eunhasu.

I suggest you contact SOtM to ask about the correct settings to enable DSD playback on your system.

Hi Simon,

Thanks so much for your reply. I think your diagnosis is spot on - the problem may be on SOtM’s end. Thanks once again. You have been extremely helpful and I am greatly appreciative.