Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver not allowing selections to be grouped as one CD
08-11-2018, 19:18
Minimserver not allowing selections to be grouped as one CD
Hi

I am new to MinimServer and am trying my best to make it work but I am having one reoccurring issue: Some albums like Jacques Loussier Trio Baroque Favorites, are spread into five or more albums no matter what I do. I would like to group my albums by album names and artists only but every time I change the default setting in Properties, Minim turns red with an error message. I am not interested with the composer names or dates but cannot get rid of that info. I am using Minim on a Melco N1A with SongKong for metadata. Please help me tame this behavior. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2018, 20:28
RE: Minimserver not allowing selections to be grouped as one CD
Please post the exact error message you are seeing.
09-11-2018, 08:04
(08-11-2018 20:28)simoncn Wrote:  Please post the exact error message you are seeing.

Hi Simon

The error message was as follow:
Incorrect tag name 'Composer' in property 'tag custom'.
This happened after I changed it from:
Artist, Date, Genre, All Artists, Composer
to: Album, Artist

So I went in Advanced and changed it from:
AlbumArtist.displayRole={artist}, Composer.displayRole={artist}
to:
AlbumArtist.displayRole={artist}

Now I don't get the error message anymore but the single albums are still split. Thanks for looking into that for me.
09-11-2018, 09:07
Does the split album have tracks in different folders? If so, try setting the mergeFolderAlbums property to true and restarting MinimServer.
09-11-2018, 14:31
(09-11-2018 09:07)simoncn Wrote:  Does the split album have tracks in different folders? If so, try setting the mergeFolderAlbums property to true and restarting MinimServer.

No, they are all in the same folder, that I made sure of. I had set the mergeFolderAlbums to YES. Also MinimServer does that with ALL my classical albums. The Jacques Loussier albums are Jazz although he is interpreting classical so in Songkong I made sure that GENRE is set to Jazz but that didn't make a difference. Minim must be dealing with the titles of the songs and maybe searching for words like MOVEMENT or something similar.

I feel that Albums, Artists should have been the default setting and more experience users who want more could add the other elements, in my humble opinion. Thanks.
09-11-2018, 18:13
If the tracks of the album are in the same folder and have the same value for the ALBUM tag, MinimServer will group them into the same album irrespective of any other tags such as GENRE or MOVEMENT. Are you sure that all tracks have an identical value for ALBUM? Also, have you made any changes to the aliasTags property?

Although it is possible to configure MinimServer to browse by artist and album only, this is not what most users of MinimServer want to do and I don't think it would be a good idea to have it as the default setting.
09-11-2018, 22:09
(09-11-2018 18:13)simoncn Wrote:  If the tracks of the album are in the same folder and have the same value for the ALBUM tag, MinimServer will group them into the same album irrespective of any other tags such as GENRE or MOVEMENT. Are you sure that all tracks have an identical value for ALBUM? Also, have you made any changes to the aliasTags property?

Although it is possible to configure MinimServer to browse by artist and album only, this is not what most users of MinimServer want to do and I don't think it would be a good idea to have it as the default setting.

Hi Simon
You definitely know more than I do what your users want. I stand corrected.
I know you are as familiar with Melco as anyone and I have read your thread with interest on this device, so I am confident it’s not the Melco otherwise you would have picked on it. The Aliastag is one thing I have not investigated and don’t recall changing it. I am unable to check at this time, being out of town. Out of curiosity, what should the value be for what I am trying to achieve? I will certainly check it when I get back on Sunday. Thanks again for taking the time.
NB. I am using LUMIN as the control app, does that matter?
09-11-2018, 23:04
There is no correct or incorrect value for aliasTags. I asked the question because if you have you have set this property, other tagging might be relevant for album grouping.

Please try using the folder view of the LUMIN app. This shows exactly what MinimServer is sending to the LUMIN app. Are the albums grouped correctly or incorrectly there?
12-11-2018, 14:24
(09-11-2018 23:04)simoncn Wrote:  There is no correct or incorrect value for aliasTags. I asked the question because if you have you have set this property, other tagging might be relevant for album grouping.

Please try using the folder view of the LUMIN app. This shows exactly what MinimServer is sending to the LUMIN app. Are the albums grouped correctly or incorrectly there?

Hi Simon
When I select the folder view on the Lumin app, all the songs from single albums, including classical, seems to stay in individual folders like I was trying to get. So yes, they are grouped correctly. Although this mode seems to not put these folder in consecutive orders but I least the songs are not broken up. All Four Seasons of Vivaldi for instance are in one folder. Would this suggest that the Lumin app is not the culprit here? Thanks.
12-11-2018, 22:57
The LUMIN app shows two views of the MinimServer library:

1) Under its "folder" tab (the icon that looks like a folder), it shows the container structure sent by MinimServer.

2) Under the other tabs, it shows the LUMIN app's own grouping structure.

As I understand it, the album groupings are correct in 1) and incorrect in 2). This means that MinimServer's album grouping is working correctly and the LUMIN app's album grouping is not working correctly for some reason. The LUMIN app developers should be able to help solve this problem.