Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer 0.7x keeps "hanging" on Synology
25-04-2013, 02:39
MinimServer 0.7x keeps "hanging" on Synology
I've a 1 bay Synology 112 running MinimServer 0.63 (or maybe 0.62) for a long time perfectly fine.

Then updated to MinimServer 0.70, and 0.71. Since then, MinimServer will "hang" after 2-3 days. Synology web admin shows CPU at max. The only way to recover is to "Stop" MinimServer on Synology Package Center. It will pop up a message said MinimServer needed to be stopped using a forced kill. Then "Run" MinimServer on Synology again. Then after 2-3 days the cycle repeat.

It seems, with each restart of MinimServer, it's respond time (browsing, song playing delay time etc) is becoming slower and slower, then totally hang.

Nothing is changed on Synology. OS is DSM4.1.

No transcoding is enabled on the MinimServer.

Also, with 0.6x or before, after I added a few albums and do a "restart" in MinimWatch, it takes around 2mins. Now with 0.7x, the restarting delay seems quite a bit longer at around 5mins.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2013, 09:54
RE: MinimServer 0.7x keeps "hanging" on Synology
(25-04-2013 02:39)psme Wrote:  I've a 1 bay Synology 112 running MinimServer 0.63 (or maybe 0.62) for a long time perfectly fine.

Then updated to MinimServer 0.70, and 0.71. Since then, MinimServer will "hang" after 2-3 days. Synology web admin shows CPU at max. The only way to recover is to "Stop" MinimServer on Synology Package Center. It will pop up a message said MinimServer needed to be stopped using a forced kill. Then "Run" MinimServer on Synology again. Then after 2-3 days the cycle repeat.

It seems, with each restart of MinimServer, it's respond time (browsing, song playing delay time etc) is becoming slower and slower, then totally hang.

Nothing is changed on Synology. OS is DSM4.1.

No transcoding is enabled on the MinimServer.

Also, with 0.6x or before, after I added a few albums and do a "restart" in MinimWatch, it takes around 2mins. Now with 0.7x, the restarting delay seems quite a bit longer at around 5mins.

What logging level do you have set? You can see this by opening the MinimWatch log window.
25-04-2013, 10:45
Log level is at Info (default).
25-04-2013, 13:00
(25-04-2013 10:45)psme Wrote:  Log level is at Info (default).

OK, thanks. For debugging the 100% CPU hang after 2-3 days, the first thing to check is whether MinimServer is running out of memory. Please set the resourceInfo property to 1000. This will produce a resource summary after every 1000 tracks scanned at startup, and every 60 seconds while MinimServer is running (if there is any browsing or streaming activity).

When you get the next crash, please save the minimserver.log file after you have stopped MinimServer from the Synology package manager, zip this file, and attach it here.

For debugging the slower browsing/playing response after one or more restarts, please change the logging level to Debug, do some browsing and start to play one song. When the song has started playing, press 'Save as' to save the debug log, then set the logging level back to Info.

Please do this when MinimServer first starts and repeat it after each restart. Keep all these debug logs, zip them and attach them here. I will look at these logs to see if I can find anything that might explain the slowdown.

I'll do some restart timing comparisons between 0.63 and 0.71 to see if I can reproduce the longer restart time with 0.71. What happens if you restart without adding new albums? Does this take longer on 0.71 than 0.63?
26-04-2013, 11:56
(25-04-2013 13:00)simoncn Wrote:  I'll do some restart timing comparisons between 0.63 and 0.71 to see if I can reproduce the longer restart time with 0.71. What happens if you restart without adding new albums? Does this take longer on 0.71 than 0.63?

I've tried this, and I'm seeing about a 25% improvement in the 0.71 restart time compared with 0.63.

It's possible that the slower restart on 0.71 that you're seeing is caused by MinimServer failing to read the cache for some reason. You can fiind out whether MinimServer is reading the cache by setting the logging level to Debug before you do the restart.
28-04-2013, 20:10
I think I know what's causing this problem. I'm working on a fix now.
29-04-2013, 10:43
Thanks for digging the issue! Still keeps "hanging" 2 or 3 days each time. Will MinimServer log be reset with each "restart", or continues growing? Because sometime when it hang, and I want to play a song immediately, I just do a "stop"/"run" on Synology web control and forgot to check or save MinimServer log...

What I meant about "restart" delay becomes longer is not the initial start (full scanning), but each regular restart. Or maybe that's because I do have some .cue files created by ripping software automatically, and I never bother to delete those. Speaking of playlist function, since I don't use it, is there any way to disable playlist function?
29-04-2013, 10:55
(29-04-2013 10:43)psme Wrote:  Thanks for digging the issue! Still keeps "hanging" 2 or 3 days each time. Will MinimServer log be reset with each "restart", or continues growing? Because sometime when it hang, and I want to play a song immediately, I just do a "stop"/"run" on Synology web control and forgot to check or save MinimServer log...

What I meant about "restart" delay becomes longer is not the initial start (full scanning), but each regular restart. Or maybe that's because I do have some .cue files created by ripping software automatically, and I never bother to delete those. Speaking of playlist function, since I don't use it, is there any way to disable playlist function?

You can't disable scanning for .m3u and .m3u8 playlists. If you don't want these scanned, you'll need to adjust your content directory setup to exclude them. MinimServer currently doesn't scan for .cue files.

The slow restart problem and the hang problem are both caused by the bug that I found. The fix will be included in the upcoming 0.72 release. Thanks for letting me know about this.

The log is reset if you restart from the Synology Package Center, but not if you restart from MinimWatch.
29-04-2013, 11:02
Sorry, I meant .m3u! Looking forward for new version! Smile
16-05-2013, 02:16
Just want to report that everything is fine after 2 weeks with 0.72. Thanks again simon! Smile