Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synology NAS as minimserver and player
11-06-2018, 22:03
Synology NAS as minimserver and player
I would like some advice on how to set up my synology NAS as a server (works already), but also to play music on the syno. Of course I would need a USB soundcard and an application like Shairport Sync but then for UPnP. Then I would like to be able to control and view what is playing from different computers.

Any ideas on how to set this up?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2018, 03:29
RE: Synology NAS as minimserver and player
Here’s a link to a Synology page discussing playing music to usb speakers. Other than that, not sure if it’s really practical. Just curious, why would you want to do this?
13-06-2018, 09:34
(13-06-2018 03:29)antonmb Wrote:  Here’s a link to a Synology page discussing playing music to usb speakers. Other than that, not sure if it’s really practical. Just curious, why would you want to do this?

Don't see the link.. but it makes sense to me to play music directly from the NAS as my stereo system is next to it. No need to stream over the network. Still want remote control and viewing of tracks, album artwork on multiple computers. Not such a wild idea is it?
13-06-2018, 10:08
Synology Audio Station can play music from a UPnP server through a USB soundcard attached to the NAS.
13-06-2018, 10:38 (This post was last modified: 13-06-2018 10:39 by artelse.)
(13-06-2018 10:08)simoncn Wrote:  Synology Audio Station can play music from a UPnP server through a USB soundcard attached to the NAS.

Wow, completely missed that feature.. mainly used my NAS for file storage, but has more possibilities. Thanks!

BTW, also found this comprehensive overview of home audio setups: http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/pages/homenet-audio.html
13-06-2018, 14:09
Sorry, here’s the link. It’s what Simon is referring to. https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledge.../playmusic
15-06-2018, 08:33
(13-06-2018 10:08)simoncn Wrote:  Synology Audio Station can play music from a UPnP server through a USB soundcard attached to the NAS.

Hello,

the installable Audio Station software from Synology can play via an attached USB sound card to the stereo system. But as some DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) devices also have USB input you might be able to play music via this way also.

Did someone try this already?

Kind regards
steamfan