Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Library View Does not List all albums of an given artist
04-06-2018, 22:05
My Library View Does not List all albums of an given artist
I take great care to tag all my albums of a given artist consistently. I put the name of the artist in "Artist" and Album Artist".

Often, when I browse my library (on my Android pad) some of the albums of some artists do not appear. If I use to option to list all the albums of a given artist, it shows them all, but it does not show in the Library list.

I hope someone can help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2018, 22:57
RE: My Library View Does not List all albums of an given artist
What app do you use to browse your library on your Android device? Is it BubbleUPnP?

What do you mean by the "library list"? Are you selecting "Artist" from the top-level MinimServer menu?
06-06-2018, 06:57
(04-06-2018 22:57)simoncn Wrote:  What app do you use to browse your library on your Android device? Is it BubbleUPnP?

What do you mean by the "library list"? Are you selecting "Artist" from the top-level MinimServer menu?

Yes, I'm using BubbleUPnP. Here are my Minimserver settings (attached). When I sort by albums in BubbleUPnP, it always puts the albums of a give artist together in the display, except for some artists there are a few albums that does not show in the Library View. If I search for the artist in BubbleUPnP I can find all the albums.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-06-2018, 08:53
Thanks for this. What do you mean by "sort by albums in BubbleUPnP"? Can you post screenshots that show what you are doing?
08-06-2018, 10:59
I attach a screenshot for you. If I select albums, I get my albums sorted by Artist (based on my Minimserver settings).

Often, when I have multiple albums of an artist, it does not show all albums of that artist in the Library view. However, if I search for the artist, I can see all the albums.

I checked that the meta-tagging of the artist name (and album artist name) for all the albums are the consistent for all albums of the same artist.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

08-06-2018, 18:30
This could happen if some albums have an AlbumArtist tag and others don't. In this case, the albums with no AlbumArtist tag will sort to the end of the albums list. Do you see the "missing" albums there?

Alternatively, if an album has an inconsistent AlbumArtist tag, the album will sort to an unexpected position based on the value of that tag.

You could try changing Album.sortTags to {Artist, Date, Album} and restarting MinimServer. If this makes the "missing" albums appear in the correct positions, this points to a problem with AlbumArtist tags.
09-06-2018, 07:30
(08-06-2018 18:30)simoncn Wrote:  This could happen if some albums have an AlbumArtist tag and others don't. In this case, the albums with no AlbumArtist tag will sort to the end of the albums list. Do you see the "missing" albums there?

Alternatively, if an album has an inconsistent AlbumArtist tag, the album will sort to an unexpected position based on the value of that tag.

You could try changing Album.sortTags to {Artist, Date, Album} and restarting MinimServer. If this makes the "missing" albums appear in the correct positions, this points to a problem with AlbumArtist tags.

I checked that, but it is not the case. All the albums by the same artist has exactly the same tagging, but it is still not displaying correctly. I also do not see it at the end. I can only find it by searching for the artist. Really puzzling! Thanks for all your effort though!
09-06-2018, 10:58
Have you tried changing Album.sortTags to {Artist, Date, Album} and restarting MinimServer? Does this make any difference?
09-06-2018, 14:09
(09-06-2018 10:58)simoncn Wrote:  Have you tried changing Album.sortTags to {Artist, Date, Album} and restarting MinimServer? Does this make any difference?

It worked! Thanks so much for your help!
09-06-2018, 16:54
I think I know what is causing this. MinimServer doesn't allow more than one AlbumArtist tag for an album. If you have more than one AlbumArtist tag for the album, MinimServer writes a "tag conflict" warning message to the log and ignores all AlbumArtist tags for the album. If you look at the MinimServer log, you will see these conflict messages.

Because the AlbumArtist tags for these albums have been ignored, setting Album.sortTags to {AlbumArtist, Artist, Date, Album} sorts these albums to the end of the albums list and then sorts them by artist. This means the "missing" albums (those with multiple AlbumArtist tags) will appear in a group at the end of the albums list, following all the albums that have a single AlbumArtist tag.

You can see a list of these "missing" albums by selecting AlbumArtist in Library view, scrolling down to the end of the list and selecting the [unknown] index entry.