Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Separate "instances" for different content directories?
10-04-2018, 04:36
Separate "instances" for different content directories?
Love MinimServer! Been using it on my Synology for a few months, and running AssetUPnP on my Linux box. Both accessed through BubbleUPnP.

Here's my situation....

I have my music folders organized by file type.
/music/mp3
/music/FLAC
/music/HighRes
/music/Surround
/music/Classical

With AssetUPnP, I can run multiple instances of the server, so I can have a "FLAC Server" and a "HighRes Server." Makes sense to me, but may not be the best idea. I'm open to suggestions. But it serves my purposes when I want to look for Jazz in high resolution formats.

I know I can add multiple content directories through MinimWatch, rather than just adding /music/ as the content folder.

I could use "Folder View" to navigate to each individual library, but I feel like I'd be missing out on other functionality, like intelligent browsing.

What is the best way to approach my MinimServer install? Rely on the filters to narrow down my searches? Stick with folder view? Or is there a better option?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2018, 06:18
RE: Separate "instances" for different content directories?
Hi,

I have a similar folder structure as you. Unfortunately the Synology can only run one MinimServer instance at once.

I solved this issue with a Raspberry Pi 3. The music folders/ directories are exported by the NAS and mounted by the Raspberry Pi. The Raspberry Pi can host up to four MinimServer instances easily.

Kind regards
steamfan
10-04-2018, 06:58
If it's only a matter of filtering by resolution/format, you can use the #AudioData, #AudioFormat and #AudioQuality special indexTags. Just moves your selection process down one level.
10-04-2018, 07:15
(10-04-2018 04:36)ckronengold Wrote:  I could use "Folder View" to navigate to each individual library, but I feel like I'd be missing out on other functionality, like intelligent browsing.

You can start browsing by folder view and then switch to tag view (Intelligent Browsing) at any point. I don't think any other server has this capability.

However, as timster has said, you don't really need to do this because you can use MinimServer's "special tags" to select MP3 files, high-res files, classical files, etc. rather than using the folder structure for this. The advantage of this approach is that you can select by other tags first (such as Artist, Genre, Date, etc.) and then filter by high-res etc. afterwards.
10-04-2018, 14:55
(10-04-2018 06:18)steamfan Wrote:  I solved this issue with a Raspberry Pi 3. The music folders/ directories are exported by the NAS and mounted by the Raspberry Pi. The Raspberry Pi can host up to four MinimServer instances easily.

How many instances can I run in Linux? That would work, too, if I just installed on my Ubuntu box rather than the NAS.

Thanks for the feedback!
10-04-2018, 14:57
(10-04-2018 07:15)simoncn Wrote:  [quote='ckronengold' pid='29671' dateline='1523331368']

You can start browsing by folder view and then switch to tag view (Intelligent Browsing) at any point. I don't think any other server has this capability.

However, as timster has said, you don't really need to do this because you can use MinimServer's "special tags" to select MP3 files, high-res files, classical files, etc. rather than using the folder structure for this. The advantage of this approach is that you can select by other tags first (such as Artist, Genre, Date, etc.) and then filter by high-res etc. afterwards.

Great tips. Didn't realize I could do that. Thought it was one it the other.
11-04-2018, 16:49
(10-04-2018 06:58)timster Wrote:  If it's only a matter of filtering by resolution/format, you can use the #AudioData, #AudioFormat and #AudioQuality special indexTags. Just moves your selection process down one level.

Working like a charm! So easy! Thank you!