Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melco N1 wonky and MinimServer questions
08-12-2017, 15:43
Melco N1 wonky and MinimServer questions
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this forum and have a few rather ignorant questions. I own a Melco N1 server linked to a Berkeley Alpha DAC 2. I am wondering what are the advantages of loading MinimServer onto the Melco? Secondly, I noticed with the new FW upgrade, there is now an option to turn off the Twonky server. I am wondering what might be the advantage of turning this off?

Thanks for your insights.
Tom
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2017, 07:37 (This post was last modified: 14-12-2017 07:38 by simoncn.)
RE: Melco N1 wonky and MinimServer questions
Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

MinimServer provides a different browsing view of the library than Twonky. MinimServer supports Intelligent Browsing which enables you to use any tag names in your library and browse for any tag names in any order, rather than using a predefined container hierarchy such as Genre/Artist/Album. If your library contains classical music, it can be very useful to be able to browse by Composer/Ensemble/Soloist or Artist/Composer/Work (for example).

The best way to decide whether you like the MinimServer approach is to try it. MinimServer runs on a wide range of platforms (Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS) so you could try it on one of these before installing it on the Melco.

If you decide to use MinimServer exclusively on the Melco, it is a good idea to disable Twonky because having both running at the same time competes for system resources.
14-12-2017, 15:14
I know this is a dumb question but I am on the latest Melco version 3.72 and I can't see an obvious option to turn off Twonky. I have looked under media Servers and can't see an option. Does this only appear when you have a USB-DAC connected.

Quote:Media server is able to be `Off` by setting from [2] media server > [4] Twonky Service on MELCO N1 while using the USB-DAC Local Player. By using this function, N1 will not be found in Library and `Browse songs` function, `Status` > `Songs` total number will be unavailable to use. Music files in other NAS could be played during this setting and streaming service could also be used.

Previously I had disabled this via Simon's instructions but it seems to have magically reappeared.

As I don't use a USB DAC do I just have to repeat the original instructions from you Simon?

Apologies in advance if I am being dumb.
14-12-2017, 16:04 (This post was last modified: 14-12-2017 16:05 by Donuk.)
Martin
Melco, just like all our favourite manufacturers, seems to have been a little bit of confusion in software from time to time.
Perhaps because the team(s) are trying to develop various things at the same time.
This I do know: 3.71 Beta has the Twonky switch off facility.
3.72 seems to have omitted it.
Now 3.73Beta is on the block - has to be downloaded from the site and installed via memory stick.
I have not installed it yet - I have remained with 3.71B. I don't use Twonky.
But according to the small print, 3.73B has the switch.

Yes, I know.....

Season's greetings to you and yours. I do not post in the other place(s) much these days...........

Donuk, sunny downtown York.
14-12-2017, 17:01
(14-12-2017 16:04)Donuk Wrote:  Martin
Melco, just like all our favourite manufacturers, seems to have been a little bit of confusion in software from time to time.
Perhaps because the team(s) are trying to develop various things at the same time.
This I do know: 3.71 Beta has the Twonky switch off facility.
3.72 seems to have omitted it.
Now 3.73Beta is on the block - has to be downloaded from the site and installed via memory stick.
I have not installed it yet - I have remained with 3.71B. I don't use Twonky.
But according to the small print, 3.73B has the switch.

Yes, I know.....

Season's greetings to you and yours. I do not post in the other place(s) much these days...........

Donuk, sunny downtown York.

Many thanks Don - I have been up and down those menus thinking I must be losing it. A Merry Xmas to you too and surely eventually I will get over to York to see you in the New Year. I have been 'rubbish' at sorting things out in 2017 and will resolve to do better in 2018 Big Grin

Cheers.