Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
failed to update minim server on QNAP
04-12-2017, 10:51 (This post was last modified: 04-12-2017 10:57 by drPo.)
RE: failed to update minim server on QNAP
(04-12-2017 09:42)simoncn Wrote:  
(03-12-2017 23:10)drPo Wrote:  However, the real problem which started this mess is that for some reason i am unable to work with the minim watch on my PC (actually i have the same issue with 2 PCs at home, all Win10). It is because of this that i tried to edit the config file without realizing the implications. Minim watch is just a grey icon with nothing to "click" (not even options...).

There are various things that could cause this. What exactly happens when you right-click on the MinimWatch icon in the system tray (lower right of your desktop)? Do you see a pop-up menu? If so, what menu selections (if any) are available?

Hi Simon, well "nothing" happens - no buttons at all like Options etc as you would normally expect even if the icon is grey

Not sure if this is relevant but i tried to invoke minim watch from the command prompt on the PC using the "mscript -i" command and I got a message like "java" not recognized as a command... could it be I am missing some Java components?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2017, 10:58
The MinimWatch log file is at C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\MinimWatch\data\minimwatch.log. Please post the contents of this file.

What antivirus software are you using? It is possible that MinimWatch is being blocked by your antivirus software.
04-12-2017, 21:17
(04-12-2017 10:58)simoncn Wrote:  The MinimWatch log file is at C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\MinimWatch\data\minimwatch.log. Please post the contents of this file.

What antivirus software are you using? It is possible that MinimWatch is being blocked by your antivirus software.

actually (and embarrassingly enough) I don't have such a directory... i have McAfee but its managed as a corporate account so no chance to change if that is the root cause.
04-12-2017, 21:29 (This post was last modified: 04-12-2017 21:31 by simoncn.)
The directory probably does exist but the AppData directory is hidden in Windows Explorer by default. You can view it by typing the full path into the Explorer address bar.

McAfee is very likely to be the reason for the problem. You should be able to set an exception in McAfee to allow MinimWatch to run.
05-12-2017, 07:44 (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 07:44 by drPo.)
(04-12-2017 21:29)simoncn Wrote:  The directory probably does exist but the AppData directory is hidden in Windows Explorer by default. You can view it by typing the full path into the Explorer address bar.

McAfee is very likely to be the reason for the problem. You should be able to set an exception in McAfee to allow MinimWatch to run.

Hi Simon, I can see the AppData\Roaming directory, there is simply no MinimWatch directory in it, this is what I mean. If it is a JAVA issue preventing MinimWatch to run I may be able to fix it, but if it is a McAfee issue I will not as this is corporate managed and I am not supposed to tamper with the settings.

I have however managed to edit the config file using the mscript option on the NAS so I have in principle an alternative for managing minimserver. I could not however successfully use the updateTag property, should I create a new thread to get some help on this?

thanks again for your support
05-12-2017, 08:39
You said earlier that you are seeing a grey MinimWatch icon in the system tray (lower right corner of the desktop). If this is the case, MinimWatch must be running and there must be a MinimWatch directory and a log file (unless perhaps McAfee is preventing MinimWatch writing to the C drive).

It is possible that MinimWatch is starting under some other user name. Please try opening a command prompt window and running the commands

cd /
dir /s minimwatch.log

This will show the locations of any minimwatch.log files on your C drive.

What exactly do you see happening when you double-click the MinimWatch launch icon on your desktop? The launch icon is grey and looks like a musical stave with two minim notes. Before doing this, reboot the machine to be sure that no previous instance of MinimWatch is running.

Please do start a new thread to discuss why tagUpdate isn't working for you.
05-12-2017, 10:08
(05-12-2017 08:39)simoncn Wrote:  You said earlier that you are seeing a grey MinimWatch icon in the system tray (lower right corner of the desktop). If this is the case, MinimWatch must be running and there must be a MinimWatch directory and a log file (unless perhaps McAfee is preventing MinimWatch writing to the C drive).

It is possible that MinimWatch is starting under some other user name. Please try opening a command prompt window and running the commands

cd /
dir /s minimwatch.log

This will show the locations of any minimwatch.log files on your C drive.

What exactly do you see happening when you double-click the MinimWatch launch icon on your desktop? The launch icon is grey and looks like a musical stave with two minim notes. Before doing this, reboot the machine to be sure that no previous instance of MinimWatch is running.

Please do start a new thread to discuss why tagUpdate isn't working for you.

1. thanks i will create the new thread.

2. There is indeed no minimwatch.log file (i run the recommended command).

3. Regarding the minimwatch icon on desktop: it behaves as any shortcut, meaning, right hand click opens up the usual pop up for any shortcut ("open", "cut", "copy", "move to" etc)
05-12-2017, 16:36
I think there has been a misunderstanding about the grey minim icon. It appears you have the desktop launch icon but not the system tray icon. If you double-click the desktop launch icon, MinimWatch should start and the system tray icon should appear. Sometimes the system tray icon is in the overflow area of the system tray and you need to click the upward-pointing arrow in the system tray area to see it. Please try double-clicking the desktop launch icon, then look in the system tray area and the overflow area to see if there is a small minim icon there.
05-12-2017, 19:58
(05-12-2017 16:36)simoncn Wrote:  I think there has been a misunderstanding about the grey minim icon. It appears you have the desktop launch icon but not the system tray icon. If you double-click the desktop launch icon, MinimWatch should start and the system tray icon should appear. Sometimes the system tray icon is in the overflow area of the system tray and you need to click the upward-pointing arrow in the system tray area to see it. Please try double-clicking the desktop launch icon, then look in the system tray area and the overflow area to see if there is a small minim icon there.

Hi Simon, must be doing something really stupid here, when double clicking I get a winrar pop up window, nothing happens (attached screenshot).

Attached File(s)
.pdf  2017-12-05_20-53-46.pdf (Size: 872.28 KB / Downloads: 204)
05-12-2017, 20:48
This means you have the .jar file extension associated with WinRAR. I think WinRAR does this by default when it is installed.

If you have Java installed, the simplest way to fix this is to use the Jarfix program. This should allow MinimWatch to start and you can then try right-clicking the minim icon in the system tray.