Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to ignore some composers
06-11-2017, 14:10
How to ignore some composers
Is there a simple way to ignore the composers of, for example, all tracks with GENRE=Noise ?
This would be achieved by the syntax
@GENRE=Noise
=COMPOSER=
But this syntax is illegal.
The reason I am asking is that I would like
my control point to display classical music composers only.

Thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2017, 13:29 (This post was last modified: 07-11-2017 16:34 by paultaylor.)
RE: How to ignore some composers
In case this cannot currently be done in MinimServer two workarounds are

If you only want to ignore composers for non-classical from your control point you could
> Create a new field in tag editor (e.g classical_composer) and then copy over composer but only for classical tracks, then configure MinimServer to use this field instead of the composer field.

Or do you only want composers for classical everywhere ?
> Edit your data in tag editor and simply remove composers for non-classical tracks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2017, 18:10
(06-11-2017 14:10)ofrex Wrote:  The reason I am asking is that I would like my control point to display classical music composers only.

This may seem like a trivial suggestion, but it isn't.

You could simply use the browse sequence Genre > Classical > Composer. This requires no tag editing beyond what you already seem to be doing, and no additional property settings.

In fact, this is the starting browse sequence I most commonly use, to the point where I don't have to think about it, which is the least effortful means of using any tool.

David
09-11-2017, 12:41
(08-11-2017 18:10)DavidHB Wrote:  You could simply use the browse sequence Genre > Classical > Composer. This requires no tag editing beyond what you already seem to be doing, and no additional property settings.

This is a good suggestion from David but, dare I say, it could be improved with a little more effort.

The following suggestion removes one tag selection step, i.e.
from
Genre > Classical > Composer
to
Classical library > Composer

In short, it creates a new tag with a single value, which is added to the top index.

1) tagUpdate property
add filename and path, if necessary eg. /volume1/music/tagUpdate.txt

2) create above file, in the appropriate directory, containing following lines

@GENRE=Classical
+CLASSICALGENRE=Classical

Optionally, you can also remove the "Classical" entry from the GENRE index

@GENRE=Classical
-GENRE=Classical

I found a couple of "classical" variations among my files.
The tagUpdate file can be used to group them with additional lines

@GENRE=Classique
-GENRE=Classique

3) indexTags property
add CLASSICALGENRE=Classical:Classical library

Hope you find this useful.
10-11-2017, 21:43 (This post was last modified: 10-11-2017 22:07 by DavidHB.)
(09-11-2017 12:41)Alandbush Wrote:  This is a good suggestion from David but, dare I say, it could be improved with a little more effort.

Yes, and it's the 'little more effort' that begs the question ... Smile

On issues of this kind, there is often no 'better' or 'best', but only what the user finds most convenient and intuitive (often the same thing) and suited to his or her use case, muscle memory, and level of confidence in dealing with MinimServer settings. Between us, you and I have given users alternative options, which is a good thing.

All that said, your suggestion intrigues me. I particularly like the way it is all done in settings, with no addition to the tagging commitment. I'll give it a go and report back.

Later: I implemented the suggestion on one of my servers (without either the option or the variations on 'Classical', which I deal with in another way). I like it! My collection is predominantly classical, so having entry 'Classical Library' at the top of the starting list is very useful. Many thanks for the suggestion and for finally giving me a reason to use tagUpdate, which will no doubt rejoice Simon's heart ... Smile

David
11-11-2017, 11:42
(10-11-2017 21:43)DavidHB Wrote:  All that said, your suggestion intrigues me. I particularly like the way it is all done in settings, with no addition to the tagging commitment. I'll give it a go and report back.

Later: I implemented the suggestion on one of my servers (without either the option or the variations on 'Classical', which I deal with in another way). I like it! My collection is predominantly classical, so having entry 'Classical Library' at the top of the starting list is very useful. Many thanks for the suggestion and for finally giving me a reason to use tagUpdate, which will no doubt rejoice Simon's heart ... Smile

David

I am very happy that the suggestion has some merit. Thanks.
11-11-2017, 16:44
I tried this as well, and it works, but I found no fewer steps in the end: I now have a starting list which shows Albums, Items, Album Artist, Genre, Classical Library, etc. - all good. But when I select Classical Library I get a screen with two selections, Classical and Unknown. When I select Classical I get the full display of selections for Classical, but that extra screen showing all the rest of my collection under “Unknown” means I haven’t saved any steps over just going to Genre and selecting Classical. Am I doing something wrong?
11-11-2017, 18:20
(11-11-2017 16:44)antonmb Wrote:  I tried this as well, and it works, but I found no fewer steps in the end: I now have a starting list which shows Albums, Items, Album Artist, Genre, Classical Library, etc. - all good. But when I select Classical Library I get a screen with two selections, Classical and Unknown. When I select Classical I get the full display of selections for Classical, but that extra screen showing all the rest of my collection under “Unknown” means I haven’t saved any steps over just going to Genre and selecting Classical. Am I doing something wrong?

Looks like you have missed adding the single tag value (Classical) to the indexTags entry.

3) indexTags property

Refer to Index tag selection for an explanation.
29-11-2017, 11:11
(09-11-2017 12:41)Alandbush Wrote:  
(08-11-2017 18:10)DavidHB Wrote:  You could simply use the browse sequence Genre > Classical > Composer. This requires no tag editing beyond what you already seem to be doing, and no additional property settings.

This is a good suggestion from David but, dare I say, it could be improved with a little more effort.

The following suggestion removes one tag selection step, i.e.
from
Genre > Classical > Composer
to
Classical library > Composer

In short, it creates a new tag with a single value, which is added to the top index.

1) tagUpdate property
add filename and path, if necessary eg. /volume1/music/tagUpdate.txt

2) create above file, in the appropriate directory, containing following lines

@GENRE=Classical

Optionally, you can also remove the "Classical" entry from the GENRE index

@GENRE=Classical
-GENRE=Classical

I found a couple of "classical" variations among my files.
The tagUpdate file can be used to group them with additional lines

@GENRE=Classique
-GENRE=Classique

3) indexTags property

Hope you find this useful.

This is a fantastic tip. One selection step may not seem like much, but on a small screen it makes a lot of difference with repeated use. Thank you!
28-02-2018, 19:47
I have just stumbled across this thread, but my attempts to experiment with the tagUpdate setting were unsuccessful. When I tried to define the tagUpdate property as /volume1/music/tagUpdate.txt, I just got the following red error message.
  • Must be a filename; correct highlighted value and retry
In fact, anything I attempted to specify for the value of tagUpdate, with or without a path, generated the same error. Where might I be going wrong?