Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soft link for folder view
25-10-2017, 10:19 (This post was last modified: 25-10-2017 10:20 by mightyoakbob.)
Soft link for folder view
This is one I've been wishing for for a long time but thought I'd got no chance but if I don't ask I don't get. Tongue

As an example my wife buys a cd of music tracks from a movie and I then have a dilemma, do I put this album in stage and screen or in pop/various artists.

Same in classical, do I put the piano concerto in the composer's folder or in the pianists?

What would be stunningly good would be a way of putting the album in one place and getting minimserver to make it display in folder view in two places, or even 3.

Somehow I don't think I'm likely to get this, but oh how I wish.

Thanks.

Cheers

Bob.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2017, 11:09
RE: Soft link for folder view
This is the main problem with folder view. Everything is only in one place. With tag view, your files can be found in more than one place. For example, you could find the same piano concerto either by browsing through Composer > composer-name or by browsing though Artist > pianist-name. I encourage you to start tagging your files and exploring the possibilities of tag view.
25-10-2017, 11:57
(25-10-2017 11:09)simoncn Wrote:  This is the main problem with folder view. Everything is only in one place. With tag view, your files can be found in more than one place. For example, you could find the same piano concerto either by browsing through Composer > composer-name or by browsing though Artist > pianist-name. I encourage you to start tagging your files and exploring the possibilities of tag view.
Hi Simon,
Yes I was expecting that or something similar. I've tried the other views and I find I just can't get on with them at all even though in most respects the tagging I've done is pretty good. It also gives similar dilemmas as in what do you put for artist? Pianist, conductor or composer? I do realise there are also conductor and composer field tags.
I've also never understood why there are Artist and All Artists, not only are the terms ambiguous because both exist but the point completely escapes me, if you're looking for an artist why would you wish to exclude any appearances of that artist in the library?

My brain just doesn't work that way.

Thanks anyway.

Bob.
25-10-2017, 12:54 (This post was last modified: 25-10-2017 12:54 by simoncn.)
It is up to you what you choose to put for artist. This should be based on how you like to browse for music. My own preference is to keep composer separate from artist. For conductor, it's probably simpler to tag this as an artist. You can have any number of Artist tags in a file, so this doesn't prevent you also tagging the pianist as another artist on the same album.

The Artist index is an abbreviated list that combines Artist tags and AlbumArtist tags (ignore Artist if AlbumArtist is tagged). Many people want this because they prefer that only "main" artists are shown. If you just want to see a list of all artists, you can edit indexTags to remove Artist. If you would prefer this list to be shown as Artist, you can put All Artists:Artist in indexTags.