Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't uninstall Minimserver
23-04-2017, 13:37
Can't uninstall Minimserver
I have been running Minimserver very happily for a few years on my Synology NAS with Minimwatch controlling it from my iMac, which sadly has stopped working and can't be repaired.
I decided to install Minimwatch on a new Windows 10 PC. I installed Java and then due to not paying attention I downloaded and installed Minimserver rather than Minimwatch and now I can't uninstall Minimserver because it is 'running' although I can't see it and I can't find a way to exit it.
Subsequently I have installed Minimwatch and it is working fine with the Minimserver on my NAS.
Question: how can I uninstall the unnecessary and confusing version of Minimserver on my Windows PC?
Many Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2017, 15:48
RE: Can't uninstall Minimserver
(23-04-2017 13:37)Nothung Wrote:  Question: how can I uninstall the unnecessary and confusing version of Minimserver on my Windows PC?

If MinimServer is running (for example because you have set it to run on startup), there should be a separate green icon in the system tray at the right hand end of the taskbar. If it is not visible, click on the 'Show Hidden Icons' (up arrow/caret) icon in the tray. Right-click on the green icon, and click on Exit to stop MinimServer.

If the icon is not visible, make sure that MinimWatch is not running, then run the Windows Task Manager and open the Processes tab. This should show a 'Java SE binary' process with the green Minim icon. Click on this entry and then the 'End Task' button.

Once MinimServer is stopped, you should be able to uninstall it from Control Panel > Programs and Features in the normal way.

There is actually no harm in having two or more instances of MinimServer running on the network. You select the one you want to access in your Control Point. I use MinimServer on my main PC to test metadata changes in the master music library before I copy the changed files over to the NAS where I run the separate instance of MinimServer used with the 'production' version of the library. Or you could use different servers for separate music libraries, for example for different family members.

David
23-04-2017, 16:42
(23-04-2017 15:48)DavidHB Wrote:  
(23-04-2017 13:37)Nothung Wrote:  Question: how can I uninstall the unnecessary and confusing version of Minimserver on my Windows PC?

If MinimServer is running (for example because you have set it to run on startup), there should be a separate green icon in the system tray at the right hand end of the taskbar. If it is not visible, click on the 'Show Hidden Icons' (up arrow/caret) icon in the tray. Right-click on the green icon, and click on Exit to stop MinimServer.

If the icon is not visible, make sure that MinimWatch is not running, then run the Windows Task Manager and open the Processes tab. This should show a 'Java SE binary' process with the green Minim icon. Click on this entry and then the 'End Task' button.

Once MinimServer is stopped, you should be able to uninstall it from Control Panel > Programs and Features in the normal way.

There is actually no harm in having two or more instances of MinimServer running on the network. You select the one you want to access in your Control Point. I use MinimServer on my main PC to test metadata changes in the master music library before I copy the changed files over to the NAS where I run the separate instance of MinimServer used with the 'production' version of the library. Or you could use different servers for separate music libraries, for example for different family members.

David
23-04-2017, 16:47
Thank you David. I checked and Minimserver is running with the green icon showing in the hidden part of the task bar but when I exit it and try to uninstall I still get the message that it is running. I think the icon relates to my NAS version and somehow Minimserver I installed on the PC is hidden or corrupted and I can't access it. Do you have any further suggestions?

Thanks David W
23-04-2017, 16:57
(23-04-2017 16:47)Nothung Wrote:  Thank you David. I checked and Minimserver is running with the green icon showing in the hidden part of the task bar but when I exit it and try to uninstall I still get the message that it is running. I think the icon relates to my NAS version and somehow Minimserver I installed on the PC is hidden or corrupted and I can't access it. Do you have any further suggestions?

You won't get an icon for the NAS version unless you are running MinimWatch. The green icon should have a tooltip that identifies which instance of MinimServer it relates to.

There may be some sort of problem with multiple processes. Have you tried killing the process in Task Manager (my second suggestion)? Or you could check the Startup tab in Task Manager. If Minimserver is set to boot on Startup, disable that option and reboot. MinimServer should not then be running.

David
25-04-2017, 12:53 (This post was last modified: 25-04-2017 12:54 by Nothung.)
Hi David
I followed your suggestions and it was clear that the green icon was pointing to my NAS Minimserver, when I shutdown the NAS there was no green icon. I checked Task Manager and there was nothing running on the PC but when I tried to uninstall Minimserver it continued to state it couldn't be uninstalled because Minimserver was running.
In the end I downloaded IObit uninstaller and this successfully uninstalled Minimserver. All is now working fine.

Many thanks for your help.

David
01-05-2017, 08:19
(25-04-2017 12:53)Nothung Wrote:  Hi David
I followed your suggestions and it was clear that the green icon was pointing to my NAS Minimserver, when I shutdown the NAS there was no green icon. I checked Task Manager and there was nothing running on the PC but when I tried to uninstall Minimserver it continued to state it couldn't be uninstalled because Minimserver was running.
In the end I downloaded IObit uninstaller and this successfully uninstalled Minimserver. All is now working fine.

Many thanks for your help.

David

In some cases, the Windows uninstaller can incorrectly detect that MinimServer is running even though it isn't. The next version of MinimServer for Windows will have a fix for this issue.