Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimWatch can't find MinimServer on Synology NAS
08-04-2017, 01:19 (This post was last modified: 08-04-2017 01:59 by hsimon46.)
MinimWatch can't find MinimServer on Synology NAS
Hi, friends. I'm a new user trying to configure a Synology DS216j to work with a MinimServer-friendly iOS app (Esoteric SoundStream) that controls the Esoteric N-05 music streamer, and I'm really struggling. I'd be grateful for any help the community can offer. Thanks in advance.

My steps so far:

1. I set up the NAS on my home network and gave it the name "HomeNAS" (I'm so creative . . .).
2. I uploaded ~3.5TB of music into a folder on the NAS I named "Music" with two sub-folders called "16-44" for ripped CDs and "HiRes" for everything else.
3. I installed (and have since uninstalled and reinstalled) MinimServer on the NAS following the online instructions. MinimServer shows up in the directory as a folder on the same level as the Music folder.
4. I set the MinimServer Content Directory to /volume1/Music (cutting and pasting from the Music folder Properties) and scanned, which took a bit of time, but less than I would have anticipated. The status now shows as "Running."
5. I downloaded MinimWatch onto a few computers now (an iMac, a MacAir and a Lenovo PC).

The problem is that MinimWatch remains grayed-out on all three computers no matter what I do, so I can't do any configuring, and the SoundStream app (consequently?) can't locate a music library on the network.

What am I doing wrong, folks? Thanks!

Postscript: I got MinimWatch running! My sub-folders under Music were called "16-44 Files" and "HiRes Files" -- now that I know the software can't read file names with spaces, I renamed them. However, virtually every line of the scan log shows an error or a warning.

So two more questions: Does this mean I have to go through every subfolder (there are hundreds organized by artist) and rename them to eliminate spaces? And why is the SoundStream app still unable to see a music library? Thanks again!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2017, 10:28
RE: MinimWatch can't find MinimServer on Synology NAS
The problem with the Esoteric control point being unable to see the server is likely to be a UPnP discovery issue with your network. See this section for more information and some suggestions.

MinimServer can read folder names and filenames containing spaces. Please post a short extract from your log showing some of the errors you are seeing.
08-04-2017, 21:28
(08-04-2017 10:28)simoncn Wrote:  The problem with the Esoteric control point being unable to see the server is likely to be a UPnP discovery issue with your network. See this section for more information and some suggestions.

MinimServer can read folder names and filenames containing spaces. Please post a short extract from your log showing some of the errors you are seeing.

Hi. Thanks for the response. I've made progress to the point that MinimWatch is running on my PC and I have a green icon showing that MinimServer is running (with the correct Content Directory), but the library is still invisible to the Esoteric app. I also tried the Linn Kinsky app with the same result --it sees the player but no library. (I inadvertently cleared the log with all the scanning content errors -- rookie mistake -- so I'll see if any music plays after I get the library issue resolved.)

Unfortunately, I don't really understand how to resolve the UPnP issue in my setup -- please forgive my lack of technical expertise! I have an AT&T U-Verse modem (5268AC) that can handle up to three devices. Right now, I have most things hard-wired to an 8-port switch connected directly to the modem, including the computer running MinimWatch, the NAS, the Esoteric player, and an Apple Airport Extreme running the home wireless network (with three Airport Expresses in various locations in the house).There are a couple of ports available on the modem itself if it makes more sense to change that configuration. If you wouldn't mind, I'd be grateful for some step-by-step guidance as to where to go from here to fix the UPnP problem. Thanks again!
08-04-2017, 21:35
(08-04-2017 21:28)hsimon46 Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 10:28)simoncn Wrote:  The problem with the Esoteric control point being unable to see the server is likely to be a UPnP discovery issue with your network. See this section for more information and some suggestions.

Hi. Thanks for the response. I've made progress to the point that MinimWatch is running on my PC and I have a green icon showing that MinimServer is running (with the correct Content Directory), but the library is still invisible to the Esoteric app. I also tried the Linn Kinsky app with the same result --it sees the player but no library. (I inadvertently cleared the log with all the scanning content errors -- rookie mistake -- so I'll see if any music plays after I get the library issue resolved.)

Unfortunately, I don't really understand how to resolve the UPnP issue in my setup -- please forgive my lack of technical expertise! I have an AT&T U-Verse modem (5268AC) that can handle up to three devices. Right now, I have most things hard-wired to an 8-port switch connected directly to the modem, including the computer running MinimWatch, the NAS, the Esoteric player, and an Apple Airport Extreme running the home wireless network (with three Airport Expresses in various locations in the house).There are a couple of ports available on the modem itself if it makes more sense to change that configuration. If you wouldn't mind, I'd be grateful for some step-by-step guidance as to where to go from here to fix the UPnP problem. Thanks again!

Sorry -- the switch is a TrendNet TEG S80g.
09-04-2017, 15:29
What device(s) are you using to run Kinsky and the Esoteric app?

If you run Kinsky on a Windows PC with a wired connection, does this instance of Kinsky see MinimServer?
10-04-2017, 01:09
Yes, it does! (But it doesn't seem to see the Esoteric player as a source . . .).
10-04-2017, 01:13 (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 01:15 by hsimon46.)
Re your other question, the Esoteric app is iOS only, and I'm trying it both on an iPhone 6 and an iPad. Same devices for Kinsky. Thanks.
10-04-2017, 08:50
It sounds like your router supports multicast discovery over wired networks but not over wireless networks. You could try experimenting with 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless (using a different SSID for each of these) to see if either of these is better than the other. If not, the only solution is to use a different router.
10-04-2017, 19:27
(10-04-2017 08:50)simoncn Wrote:  It sounds like your router supports multicast discovery over wired networks but not over wireless networks. You could try experimenting with 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless (using a different SSID for each of these) to see if either of these is better than the other. If not, the only solution is to use a different router.

Not sure I fully understand. I currently use a home network that is separate from the 2.4 and 5.0 networks I can see (emanating from the AT&T modem?) in my list of available networks. Would I need to switch everything in the house to one of those networks? (Not sure how I do that with the Airport Extreme, but I suppose I can figure that out . . .)

If I do need to use a router other than the AirPort Extreme, do you have a suggestion for what I should use that would solve this problem? Would another router support the AirPort Expresses that I use around the house to boost signal? Sorry (again) for my lack of knowledge here -- I appreciate the help!)
10-04-2017, 22:30 (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 22:30 by simoncn.)
If I understand this correctly, all your wireless devices are connected to the Airport Extreme wi-fi network and not to the 2.4 and 5.0 networks provided by the AT&T modem.

In this case, you could presumably disable the 2.4 and 5.0 networks from the AT&T modem. I would recommend doing this.

The next step is to disable IGMP snooping in your Airport Extreme. According to some posts I have read, this setting is available as an advanced option in later versions of the Airport Extreme. Do you see this setting?